The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2009, 02:42 PM   #1
shooter007

Primers for 270 Win

I am trying to order primers, which is a waste of time right now, but im a little confused as to which primers to order. I have a 270 Win and Im aware that I need Large Rifle Primers, but I have seen 9 1/2 Large Rifle, #210 Large Rifle,Large Rifle BR, etc. So as long as it says Large Rifle am I ok or what exactly do I need?
Old May 20, 2009, 03:01 PM   #2
McClintock

The way I understand it...

I'm a little new to rifle reloading myself, but the way I understand it, the "BR" is a Bench Rest primer, which supposedly are made for specifically Bench Rest (target?) shooting, and thus are supposed to be made to more rigid specifications than your standard every day primers, in order to provide more consistent burn. I haven't used the BR primers, so I can't really comment on whether or not they are worth the extra cost (to me, anyway, since I don't shoot rifles competitively).

Every manufacturer has different "model" numbers for their respective version of a Large Rifle Primer. The #200, 9-1/2, and so on are merely the manufacturer's designations for their products.

Using any of the following should be sufficient:
Winchester Large Rifle Primer
CCI #200 Large Rifle Primer
Remington 9-1/2 Large Rifle Primer
Wolf Large Rifle Primer

What you want to be cautious of is using Magnum primers in a non-magnum caliber, as I believe their burn characteristics are different. Sizewise, they are the same, so they will fit the primer pocket, but should only be used in a magnum application (i.e. 7mm Win. Magnum, .300 Win. Magnum, etc.).

This may help, if you have (or if you are able to get) CCI primers (Most primer manufacturers should have similar web pages, I think.):

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...imer_chart.htm

Other, more experienced rifle reloaders, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!
McClintock
Old May 20, 2009, 03:02 PM   #3
sako2

Your load data manual should list the primer. Yes you are right as long as its a large rifle primer your good to go. Some people only use magnum primers in their rifle loads. Start with the lowest charge and work up watching for signs of hugh pressure.
Old May 20, 2009, 06:14 PM   #4
James R. Burke

You need a large rifle primer. Reg or Mag is determined by the powder and what the manual calls for. Most of the time just a regular large rifle will do. Again follow what the manual calls for. You can use the type the manual calls for or another make as long as it the same i.e. large rifle primer. Again get some good manuals and go by what they say. Typos are to easy to make on the net. Aways start at the min and work up. Keep it safe, and have fun!
Old May 20, 2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Shoney

You CAN USE MAGNUM PRIMERS where standard primers are called for (with caveats).
You CANNOT SUBSTITUE A MAG FOR A STANDARD in your pet load without increasing pressure, perhaps to a dangerous level.

I have experimented quite a bit with mag primers in 222, 223, 6MM Rem, 6.5X55, 270, 280. and 30-06. You start load work ups at the normal standard primer start charge and work up very slowly, carefully examining each case as it comes out of the chamber for pressure signs.

I have found that most max loads with Mag primers are 1-3 grains lower than with standard primers. Some of the mag loads produce more accurate loads, some did not. Some of the 223 loads with ball powders specify magnum primers.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 20, 2009, 08:34 PM   #6
GeauxTide

The case capacity of the '06 is easily handled by LR primers. Mags will add pressure, little velocity, but I'm dubious on accuracy gains. I've used 58gr of H4831 in my 6.5-06 with LR primers with great accuracy and low SD.
Old May 28, 2009, 05:33 PM   #7
kelbro

Quote:
You CAN USE MAGNUM PRIMERS where standard primers are called for (with caveats).
You CANNOT SUBSTITUE A MAG FOR A STANDARD in your pet load without increasing pressure, perhaps to a dangerous level.

I have experimented quite a bit with mag primers in 222, 223, 6MM Rem, 6.5X55, 270, 280. and 30-06. You start load work ups at the normal standard primer start charge and work up very slowly, carefully examining each case as it comes out of the chamber for pressure signs.

I have found that most max loads with Mag primers are 1-3 grains lower than with standard primers. Some of the mag loads produce more accurate loads, some did not. Some of the 223 loads with ball powders specify magnum primers.
Shoney's experiences mirror mine. Any time that I can useless powder for the same velocity and accuracy, I'm happy.

In this component market, you gotta use what you can get (within safety limits, of course) !