The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 15, 2010, 08:05 AM   #1
l98ster

More Reliable: Rimfire or Centerfire???

I was just reading a thread on larger caliber rimfires. Someone posted the pros and cons of each. He did not mention his opinion on which is more reliable?

I have fire a lot of rimpfire, and only the best quality I have found were completely reliable. The way they "spin" the primer into the rimfire case can leave room for error. Then again, who is to say that all centerfire primers are created equal.

What do you think????
-George
Old August 15, 2010, 08:28 AM   #2
B.L.E.

I have never ever experienced a centerfire round that failed to fire.

When I was a kid, a .22 rimfire dud was also rare. Today however, there are some brands of ammo that seem to have a couple of duds in every box. Other brands seem to be just as reliable as the ammo I remembered as a kid.
Old August 15, 2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Locoweed

Personally, I've had plenty of failure to fires (FTF) with rimfire ammo (especially Remington bulk) but never with a centerfire cartridge. However, I have occaisonally found centerfire ammo, probably reloads, laying on the ground at ranges with a struck primer that had FTF. As a side note the 19th century Henry rifles (shooting .44 Henry Flat rimfire ammo) had dual firing pins to help handle the issue of FTF. If I wanted maximum reliability I would opt for a centerfire.
Old August 15, 2010, 08:54 AM   #4
jonnyc

Not even a race. The concentration of priming material in a centerfire primer makes it a hands-down winner.
Old August 15, 2010, 08:58 AM   #5
B.L.E.

If you do have FTF problems with a centerfire, it's usually a gun problem. Off center firing pin, weak mainspring, or so much headspace that the firing pin barely reaches the primer.
Some CAS shooters weaken their mainsprings so much that their guns are only reliable with a certain brand of primers.
Old August 15, 2010, 09:11 AM   #6
EdInk

Centerfire is much more reliable than rimfire.
Old August 15, 2010, 09:12 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have had more failures of centerfire ammunition (primarily Remington) than I have of rimfire ammunition.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 15, 2010, 09:56 AM   #8
Bud Helms
Staff

Percentage-wise, a much higher number of FTF with rimfire. With bulk ammo, it is routine and I expect it.
Old August 15, 2010, 10:50 AM   #9
chris in va

After reloading over 5000 rounds this past year, only had one dud primer. Plenty of misfires with 22lr bulk stuff, but ironically my Kadet slide feeds and ejects better than my centerfire slides.
Old August 15, 2010, 11:06 AM   #10
RimfireChris

I too have never had a factory center fire round fail to go bang. Rimfire on the other hand, it depends onthe brand some are better than others. I've never had a FTF with CCI or Winchester, but all the others, yup.
Old August 15, 2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Slamfire

Well I don't reload rimfire. And I hardly ever shoot factory centerfire.

I have had misfires with rimfires and I have had misfires with my reloads.

I am not having any misfires with Match .22LR that are due to the ammo. Had misfires in a very cold small bore prone match with a Kimber82. Might be due to a weak mainspring because I have shot that same ammo in equally cold weather in another rifle and never had an issue. When it got warmer that Kimber fired off all rounds without an issue.
Old August 15, 2010, 12:22 PM   #12
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamfire
I am not having any misfires with Match .22LR that are due to the ammo. Had misfires in a very cold small bore prone match with a Kimber82. Might be due to a weak mainspring because I have shot that same ammo in equally cold weather in another rifle and never had an issue. When it got warmer that Kimber fired off all rounds without an issue.
I have some Remington Target standard velocity ammo and when I try to shoot it in my S&W 41, I seem to get a FTF or two in every magazine. Yet, this same ammo goes off every time in my rifle. Maybe it's time to take that bolt apart and clean out years of accumulated powder residue out of the firing pin.
In extreme cold, oil can turn into a thick gel that can prevent the firing pin from striking with enough force to ignite the primer.
Old August 15, 2010, 03:33 PM   #13
Lemmon

I trust center fire with my life.

To date, I have not had a center fire fail to fire and I shoot a lot.... I have had numbers of rim fire duds. I would not trust rim-fire with my life.... Lemmon
Old August 15, 2010, 07:15 PM   #14
ClayInTx

The only rimfire I shoot is 22s. The only large caliber rimfire gun I ever saw was an attic hermit many decades ago.

I’ve had failures with both, but it’s now to the point that I expect some with rimfire—and seldom disappointed.

I don’t recall having a 22 FTF way back when but am experiencing them now. Of course, we all know nothing is as good as it was in the “old days”.
Old August 15, 2010, 07:24 PM   #15
Regolith

I don't think I've ever had a centerfire fail to fire. Had plenty of .22LRs fail on me though. Usually at least one a session.
Old August 15, 2010, 09:22 PM   #16
hooligan1

I can't recall a single dud my whole enlistment, I shot a dump truck load, I'm sure. .22 LR duds are pretty common. I honestly don't ever remember any dud centerfire cartridges, shotgun maybe a few pistol rnds, also never when I used to handload,( I'm working my way back into that fun)
Old August 15, 2010, 10:26 PM   #17
22-rimfire

If you are a hunter, centerfire FTF's always occur when you are pulling the trigger on a game animal. FTF's are fairly common with some brands of rimfires. Remington seems to have the highest FTF rate and CCI has the lowest of the American made stuff.
Old August 16, 2010, 06:11 PM   #18
4INCHSMITH

I've only had 1 FTF with a centerfire, but I attributed that to a light strike from my old SXS. Had it fixed shortly after.

However, I have thrown more than my fair share of .22lr into the ol' squib can.
Old August 18, 2010, 11:04 PM   #19
Terry A

For me, by far, it's been rimfire failures. But to be fair, many of those failures were fired in an ancient (and I do mean old and well worn) Glenfield M60. Whenever I shhot .22's thru any of my bolt rifles, a failure to fire is rare.

Can only recall a handfull of center fire failures, and as someone already posted, it was from bulk and cheap ammo. Nowadays, I only load quality ammo into my firearms.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old August 18, 2010, 11:37 PM   #20
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
When I was a kid, a .22 rimfire dud was also rare.
I've had more rimfire duds than centerfire, but my centerfire duds were first. I've only been recently introduced to rimfire duds, due to the new bulk ammo. Up until a scant few years ago, I had fired countless thousands of rimfire rounds, all my life, without a single dud.
Old August 19, 2010, 05:43 AM   #21
B.L.E.

Back in the 1960s, there was no such thing as bulk ammo in rimfire. Ammo also was a lot more expensive then, taking inflation into account. 90 cents for a box of 50 .22 long rifle bullets was a lot of money back then. Nearly enough to buy three gallons of gas.
Old August 19, 2010, 06:40 AM   #22
ZeroJunk

Ninety percent of all the centerfire rounds I ever shot I loaded myself. I have yet to have a misfire, knock on wood.

It's pretty common with some rimfire.
Old August 19, 2010, 03:01 PM   #23
thumbtack

.22 yes not really common but it does happen. The only centerfire ammo I have had to FTF is foreign milsurp ammo.
Old August 20, 2010, 12:43 AM   #24
FrankenMauser

In my personal experience, I would say centerfire ammunition is more reliable. However, 99% of what I shoot is meticulously hand-crafted by yours truly. Several of my rifles have never seen factory ammo, or will not see more than 20 rounds during my ownership of them (I have only sold 1 firearm in my life - I buy what I want, and keep it ... forever).

Judging by the experience of Joe Blow Shooter, I think the edge definitely goes to centerfire, as well. However, when you analyze a lot of the "Brand XXX ammo is crap! I had 376 FTFs in 35 rounds" threads, it comes back to operator error/stupidity, a firearm malfunction, a filthy firearm, or a mechanical issue caused by ignorance.