The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 15, 2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Missoura Don

Another Pietta horror story

Well, went to cabelas 2 weeks ago and bought another 1860. And yes, I know, I should have checked out the entire function of the beauty, but I was in a hurry, so I took it out of the oil plastic bag, worked the action a few times, looked over the fit and finish, everything seemed fine.

So...I ran my errands, brought it home to start the dissassembly process, and then the nightmares began. The wedge was so tight, I had to litterly beat it out with a brass drift, thereby puckering the edge of the arbor slot. Then, the trigger, bolt spring screw was so tight I marred it up trying to remove that (and yes, I was using a proper sized hollw ground tip that fitted perfectlly). Thennnnn, I found out the milled channel for the innards was so full of burs,Im suprised the action even worked.

Buit wait...it gets worse....When I pulled the hammer out, the hand spring in the slot wasnt even connected, it was just slid in the slot...came right out!
So, by now, Im gettin pretty discouraged. So i put it all back together and planned on returning it. So now..its all assembled, and i check out the rammer. The rammer wouldnt even reach the cylinder, due to the very most rear "peg" on the rammer being over sized and not engaging the hole it was meant for. It simply wouldnt budge. So i sit there thinkin....Of all the Piettas I've purchased, this has got to be the worse. Some of the ones Ive bought, such as my 1851 in .44 has been flawless and dead on since day one, same as my other 1860. My 1851 in .36 had a minor timing issue when i bought it, but works like a charm now.

So...I'm lookin at this POS in front of me and think.....what a worthless, useless, waste of my hard earned money you are. Then it hit me...It wasnt the revolvers fault, it was human error, and then and there, I decided to keep that little beauty and give it the respect and TLC it needed to become fully functional and a welcomed addition to my small but ever growing collection. Sorry about the long post, but just want ya'll to know...these baby's may be far from perferct....but as lovers of the dark side that we are, we shouldnt blame the revolvers ,and just overlook that human error, and bring every revolver we purchase, good or bad, to its full and functional glory so that it can be enjoyed and admired, and used for many many years to come.
Old May 15, 2009, 08:32 AM   #2
olmontanaboy

Don, take it back and get another one. Go over it really well, sounds like maybe a new employee at Pietta may have assembled that one. Whenever I buy a new one I make a real pain in the ass out of myself. But Cabela's employees have never givin me a hard time about examining them, ask them to bring several for you to pick from.
Old May 15, 2009, 08:46 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

I like your attitude Don, way to go. I might return that gun, only because you can. I consider these Italian cap and ballers a semi-finished gun out of the box. It's been my experience that they all need some work to function correctly, some more work than others.
Old May 15, 2009, 09:40 AM   #4
Noz

My experience with Cabela's is great. If something is not right, call them, send it back and go on from there.
All of my Piettas have been good from the box. Some of the things we do to them are not necessary for every day cowboy carry but make them work better for hard use.
Pietta does hire the Italian equivalent of "Bubba" the gorilla to tighten screws.
Old May 15, 2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Dingoboyx

A shame the arbour slot got burred and the few scratches, but I too woul'd seriously think of returning that one. Make a call and see if they will take it back.... you should at least have a functioning gun out of the box, The wedge being in that tight from the factory wouldnt have done the gun a whole lot of good

Return it if you can...your best option IMO

Next time, do like Olmontana says, make an @ss of yourself and pull the wedge at the shop & inspect it thuroughly before you leave
Old May 15, 2009, 10:42 AM   #6
grymster2007

I sent my '63 Pocket back to Cabela's and they made it real easy. However, they apparently disregarded my note instructing them to examine the replacement and it showed up with the same problem as the first one, just not quite so pronounced. I just kept it.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:55 AM   #7
ClemBert

Geeeeze, send it back. Keeping it is just a false indicator to Pietta that they are doing a great job. Pietta needs to see what kind of crap is leaving the factory. Do us all a favor and please send it back!
Old May 15, 2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Nate1778

I would send it back as well. I too had a problem with that trigger spring on both my 51 and 58, I think the guy gets paid to see how tight he can get them.
Old May 15, 2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Noz

There is a story about a tour group from America visiting the Pietta factory. One of the members of the group asked to meet "the gorilla". When the factory personnel figured out what he was talking about, they were not amused.
Old May 15, 2009, 11:37 AM   #10
AdmiralB

Quote:
Pietta needs to see what kind of crap is leaving the factory.
They won't, even if he sends it back. Cabela's will gather up a month's worth of Pietta returns and issue a deduction against their account with Pietta. Pietta won't argue, because it'll cost them more to ship them back to Italy than the issue is worth.
Old May 15, 2009, 11:51 AM   #11
grymster2007

Quote:
Cabela's will gather up a month's worth of Pietta returns and issue a deduction against their account with Pietta. Pietta won't argue, because it'll cost them more to ship them back to Italy than the issue is worth.
So Pietta could deduce from the amount of the deduction that they have some quality issues.
Old May 15, 2009, 11:56 AM   #12
AdmiralB

Yep. Whether it's enough to make them spend the money to get the ship tight is another story, though.
Old May 15, 2009, 12:13 PM   #13
mrappe

IMHO Cimmaron Farearms makes the best single actions today. I believe that they have the higest standards. I own or have owned Pietta,Cimmaron-Uburti,Uburti,EMF - Armi San Marco & a first generation Colt and the best ones as far as quality that i have seen were the Cimmaron-Uburti,Colt & Armi San Marco. Sorry to hear about your problem. I am thinking that my next purchase will be a Cimmaron-Uburti for C&B. All of the C&Bs that I have have been Pietta and they were OK but I am not sure that I want to continue in that line if they are putting out junk now and then.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:27 PM   #14
ClemBert

Unfortunately, its not as though Uberti is without problems. Although it would seem that Pietta tends to have more quality problems just based on numerous threads I have read.

Uberti Problems
Old May 15, 2009, 02:19 PM   #15
FrontierGander

a mass email to the company, from members who are unhappy may help. I had 3 or 4 replacements ( i forget how many!!) sent to me by cabelas and they were all pieces of craps. Ive been wanting a 6 shooter but hell im to affraid of getting more lemons. May just go with a .54cal single shot.
Old May 15, 2009, 02:37 PM   #16
AdmiralB

Yes, neither are Ubertis perfect. However, most of the Uberti problems I've seen have been relatively minor - yours included.

It's not rare to read about new Piettas, though, that are non-functional out of the box.

Like the man said above, all of these are really only semifinished. But my (limited) experience suggests that Uberti starts out with higher-quality 'building blocks'. However, you do pay for that.
Old May 15, 2009, 02:44 PM   #17
Gaucho Gringo

A kind of off topic, but relates to this thread. I wonder what Cabelas does with all the junk guns that they get back if they don't send them back to Pietta?
.357 Taurus Gaucho, .22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 .44 NMA Remingtons, Euroarms & ASM .36 1851 Navies, .31 Uberti Baby Dragoon, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, .43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, .44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 .22, Rossi 62 .22 rifle, Uberti 1860 and IJ .32 S&W BreakTop, .36 Euroarms 1858, .32 S&W long H&R
Old May 15, 2009, 02:52 PM   #18
grymster2007

Quote:
I wonder what Cabelas does with all the junk guns that they get back if they don't send them back to Pietta?
Maybe they get a hundred bucks apiece for them at gun buy-backs?
Old May 15, 2009, 02:53 PM   #19
Nate1778

I would like to state the two Piettas I just received from Cabelas are fine specimens of firearms. Action is tight and thus far I have been happy. I am sorry to hear yours is not so.

I agree with the others here that you hear a lot of bad publicity about these guns, but not a whole lot of threads about the good ones. They are out there.
Old May 15, 2009, 03:01 PM   #20
AdmiralB

Quote:
I wonder what Cabelas does with all the junk guns that they get back if they don't send them back to Pietta?
They probably get destroyed.

If they're workable but just not perfect, they probably go into a local Bargain Cave. If they're truly junked, then Cabela's will request credit from Pietta, and Pietta can request the return of the guns. But most companies don't actually ask for the stuff back unless it's really high-value.

If the company doesn't take it back, the vendor destroys it. They no longer own it - they've been credited by the manufacturer - so selling it or otherwise releasing it would be illegal.

I've been in some Wal-Mart returns centers - where all the crap the stores get in returns that isn't resaleable ends up. Some manufacturers send reps to look through the stuff that's getting deducted to make sure it's on the up-and-up, but most just let the vendor junk it.
Old May 15, 2009, 04:57 PM   #21
darkgael

pietta

What model is it? I'm curious.
Not everything to leave the factory is junk. I have had an 1858 .36 New Army Police for some years now and it has worked perfectly. Sorry to hear that they aren't all like that.
Pete
Old May 15, 2009, 07:22 PM   #22
Missoura Don

Pietta horror

I bought my first C&B revolver from Cabelas about 4 years ago, and being VERY green to to these types of revolvers, I bought one that was on sale, new in box.....a brass frame 1851 in .44, with a round barrel, Pieatta of course, and instead of buying the starter kit, I just bought some Remington #10 caps, a box of 100 .451 round balls, some Cabelas lubed wonder wads, a tube of bore butter, and a can of FFg pyrodex.

Now, I had done a small bit of research, you know, how to load, how to shoot, how to clean, etc., so I took it camping and loaded it, by the book, aimed at target...and Boom!!...Went to cock hammer for second shot, and it was completely froze up. I couldnt budge hammer or cylinder in any way. Needless to say...I was bummed. So, being as how I couldnt turn the cylinder.....I took it back to Cabelas.....caps on nipples and all.....I know..very stupid..but what could I do? Anyways, they were very professional about it, (not to mention very cautous about it), and told me to pick another one out, or take receipt to customer service for a refund...and I respected that.

I'm not bashing Cabela's in any way, for they were courtious enough about the situation, but it did hamper my enthuisiam for B&C revolvers. Anyway, I did trade it in for another (gasp) brass frame "51 Navy .44...and after repeating the same procedure as before...this one worked perfectlly. As far as mass emailing Pietta, Ive sent them 4 emails about their revolvers...and not one response was ever recieved. Anyways..I'll get off my soapbox about Pieatta now...I reckon its like buyin a car..Some are downright badass's..and some are just junk....but still...I'm not returning this revolver, I plan on trying my best to smooth out the rough edges and make her into a decent investment!
Old May 15, 2009, 10:38 PM   #23
madcratebuilder

Two of my revolvers I bought as nib Pietta's, both came out of the box very nice revolvers. The 1858 did need some stoning to get rid of the trigger creep, the 51 brass .44 has been a great shooter, tight barrel gap and very smooth action. A nib Uberti Baby Dragoon was unshootable out of the box. It did give me several hours of enjoyment repairing it. One nib High Standard 51 needed a LOT of work to be right. A couple of 2nd and 3rd gen Colts that needed minor attention. All the manufacturers have bad ones slip by QC.
Old May 16, 2009, 07:17 AM   #24
Chris_B

...err....haven't I been reading, on these very pages, how Pietta and Uberti are pretty even in terms of quality? I'm just curious about this "another" horror story about Pietta

I had thought we generally agreed that Piettas being junk was a misconception
Old May 16, 2009, 07:52 AM   #25
olmontanaboy

Quote:
I had thought we generally agreed that Piettas being junk was a misconception
I have several Piettas and several Ubertis and don't consider any of them junk, I think for the money thier a real bargain, but I think the quality does vary from revolver to revolver and some less then perfect specimens do hit the market. I tend to like the Ubertis a bit more but that is just a personal preference.