The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 13, 2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Pete0621

Best Caps

I have a newly aquired Ruger old army. I have read that there were some cap problems in the beginning and that the new nipples are all #11. I have the new nipples installed. Now what is the best cap for this revolver?
Old May 13, 2009, 03:15 PM   #2
FrontierGander

check out the cci #11 magnums and then the remington #11s that offer 40% more flame.
Old May 13, 2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Pete0621

Anybody try the winchester 777s?
Old May 13, 2009, 06:32 PM   #4
arcticap

Winchester 777's are 209 primers intended for use with inline rifles shooting 777 powder/pellets. 209's require a special nipple to use them which aren't made for C&B revolvers because they're much too large.
The Winchester #11 percussion caps appear to be made by CCI and then re-labeled as Winchesters.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Now what is the best cap for this revolver?
I know this is rather simplistic; but, the ones that fit the nipples the best.

You may have to try all the different brands/sizes to find the ones that fit best.

IME #10 Remingtons fit my Colt style revolvers with Treso nipples the best and old stock RWS 1075s a close second. Slight pressure when installing them with a TDC revolver (snail) capper seats them so they fire first time every time.

Your Mileage may vary.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 14, 2009, 09:37 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I know this is rather simplistic; but, the ones that fit the nipples the best.

You may have to try all the different brands/sizes to find the ones that fit best.
+1
Cap size is inconsistent between manufacturers and even between production lots with the same manufacture. A member here, mykeal has done considerable measuring of different cap brands/sizes and has a chart of the results. I'm sure he well be along and post that up.

The future compound the issue, nipples run a full gambit of sizes. Buy several brands of both #10 and #11 caps and find what fits that particular revolver. As for the caps you don't use....buy another revolver
Old May 14, 2009, 09:42 AM   #7
ClemBert

+2

The caps that fit are the best.

Personally, no luck with Winchester #11 Magnums (repackaged CCI). Have had good luck thus far with Remington #10s and #11s on my ROA with factory nipples. The next production run of caps from all these manufacturers and the answer will probably change.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:12 PM   #8
joelberg

I find the #10 CCI's fit the best for mine, I have to pinch the #11's. BUT the #11's when pinched seem to give me better ignition with less misfires. It's very subjective. Buy a tin of each size in both brands and test them all out. When I buy caps I still get a tin of #10 and a tin of #11 simultaneously because I still haven't decided my final verdict yet.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:26 PM   #9
mykeal

Quote:
I'm sure he well be along and post that up
Sorry it took so long. I was indisposed.

The caveats:
1) Opening diameter is very difficult to measure. These numbers are probably +/- 0.002 to 0.004.
2) Average of at least 20 samples of each brand & size.
3) Others have gotten different answers, and I've found that different batches of the same brand and size can vary considerably.

You don't get three decimal place precision for 4 cents.
Old May 14, 2009, 02:12 PM   #10
Pete0621

Thanks guys! I will measure the nipples and go from there. The chart will be very helpful.
Old May 14, 2009, 02:35 PM   #11
ClemBert

Quote:
Thanks guys! I will measure the nipples and go from there. The chart will be very helpful.
Measuring the nipples probably will tell you very little in terms of what the best cap is for your ROA. You'd be better off buying a tin of Remington #10's and another of Remington #11's and trying them both out. Whichever tin is NOT the best fit can be used to clear the nipples of oil prior to your first load of the day. A lot of people like to fire one or two caps per nipple at the beginning of the shootin' day to blast out any preservative oil from your last cleaning.
Old May 14, 2009, 09:15 PM   #12
Wobble

There's a BIG difference between brands. I just bought some Remington #10 that measure (inside diameter) about the same (actually .003 larger) as the CCI #11. The chart in the previous post confirms this.

For my 1858 Remington, CCI #10 is too small, and I have to pinch CCI #11s

CCI #10 fits my Walker perfectly, but Remington #10 and #11 are BOTH too large.

I think we need some Obama federal legislation on cap size standards.
Old May 15, 2009, 06:24 AM   #13
mykeal

Clembert is right on. That measurement is difficult to make with the precision necessary, and in any case the caps vary a great deal from batch to batch, so the information is likely worthless. Just buy some and try them - it's really all you can do.
Old May 15, 2009, 06:52 AM   #14
AdmiralB

Nipples vary from batch to batch too...so if/when you find a brand/size of cap that works with your pistol, don't necessarily assume that - should you acquire another pistol of same make and model - the same caps will fit it.

Although I would expect Ruger to have tighter QC than the Italian brands.
Old May 15, 2009, 07:44 AM   #15
mykeal

Admiral B - very good point.
Old May 15, 2009, 12:06 PM   #16
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Although I would expect Ruger to have tighter QC than the Italian brands.
Which is why Treso nipples are desired. Their dimensions are more consistent than OEM nipples.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old May 15, 2009, 05:21 PM   #17
Wobble

Who sells Treso nipples?
Old May 15, 2009, 07:02 PM   #18
Fingers McGee

The Possible Shop: http://www.possibleshop.com/s-s-nipples.html

FM