The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 9, 2009, 01:10 PM   #1
ColtNovice

Colt OP .22LR w/ King Super Target Sights

I've inherited a revolver that my father received from his father - not sure if grampa was the original owner.

It's a Colt Official Police .22 LR that has been modified with Colt-King Super Target sights.

The serial number on the revolver begins with 135xx. Looking on ProofHouse.com, it appears the weapon was manufactured in 1938. Other than the name, the only marking on the sights are the patent number.

I found information about other, larger calibre Colt OPs with King Super Target sights, but nothing about a .22LR model with the sights.

I was wondering if anyone on The Firing Line could share any of the history of Colt OPs and King sights...?

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Casimer

King actually sold Colts that they had upgraded. So yours may not have been modified after it was purchased by its original owner. It may have been sold that way by King.

They are famous for their target revolvers, and the upgrades they had performed were often much more extensive that a simple sight rib.

Also there are a variety of King sight configurations. Does your front sight have a mirror?

They're still in business, and might be your best bet for info - http://www.kingsgunworks.com/

Here's are two examples of King revolvers, in 38spl and 22 - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=128725788
Old May 9, 2009, 06:43 PM   #3
ColtNovice

Yes, it does have a mirror directly behind the front sight.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll contact King.
Old May 9, 2009, 07:12 PM   #4
ColtNovice

One more question:

This revolver appears to have been used extensively. The bluing is worn considerably at the end of the barrel and on the edges of the cylinder. I assume that's from the holster. I'm considering having it restored by a local gunsmith.

Is there anything I should consider before doing this?
Old May 9, 2009, 07:18 PM   #5
Casimer

I'd look into its value first. Refinishing will typically devalue collectible firearms, and King revolvers are often valuable. So I wouldn't do anything until you know.

did you check out the Colt forum?

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/index.php

Last edited by Casimer; May 9, 2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old May 9, 2009, 07:48 PM   #6
Jim Watson

The present King's Gunworks is not related that I know of to King Gunsight Company. There is an old King's catalog at:
http://www.histandard.info/King/King..._1280_960.html
An Official Police with every possible improvement was $56 at the time; .22s included.
Old May 9, 2009, 10:28 PM   #7
CraigC

Quote:
Is there anything I should consider before doing this?
Yes, I've never known a "local gunsmith" that I'd trust with a $50 shotgun, let alone an old Colt. I would highly suggest using a reputable refinishing house like Accurate Plating, Ford's or a gunsmith like Andy Horvath who does a wonderful high polish bluing job.
Old May 9, 2009, 10:50 PM   #8
Casimer

Quote:
The present King's Gunworks is not related that I know of to King Gunsight Company.
I think that you're right - now that I look, it turns out that the one I'd linked was established in 1949. I'd been told that King Gun Works was the same company.

That catalog has some great stuff.

Here's their description of the Colt-King Super Target revolvers - http://www.histandard.info/King/King..._1280_960.html
Old May 10, 2009, 07:12 AM   #9
Jim Watson

I cannot imagine a target pistol like that being worn enough that I would remotely consider rebluing it. There are very few shops that could make it look right, they charge a lot, and it still reduces the dollar value. Not to mention just knowing that the wear is the mark of use by family members.
Old May 15, 2009, 05:21 PM   #10
ColtNovice

Thanks for the information and suggestions, guys!
Old May 15, 2009, 10:12 PM   #11
Archie

Please....

Do not refinish that revolver.

It's got bluing - holster - wear because it is a great gun to carry and use. The wear is part of the history. Aside from that, refinishing a gun seriously diminishes the collector value. And it shoots just as well as is.

And remember to thank your grandfather and your father for their excellent taste when you handle it and especially when you shoot it.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/