The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 6, 2009, 09:36 PM   #26
Mr. Davis

Quote:
NO, the GG did not cause indirect injury to the woman in the apartment if she was shot by the BG. Now if the GG shot her, that is another matter, but you can't blame him for protecting his life and the lives of others if someone is injured by the BG, especially when it became clear they intended to shoot people. That became evident here...
I think you're arguing semantics here, but I won't argue your point because I know from experience that semantics win and lose battles in the court of public opinion. Especially when guns are the subject - assault weapons vs. assault rifles, anyone?

I certainly don't think I "blamed him". If he hadn't acted, she would have worse than just gunshot wounds.

BTW, I edited the original post to clarify my thoughts.

Last edited by Mr. Davis; May 6, 2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old May 6, 2009, 10:40 PM   #27
cschwanz

And people question why i carry my gun to my friend's houses/apartments (I just graduated college last year).

From the info ive read, i see nothing wring with the students actions. he acted only after trying to comply with demands and saw the situation escalate to a degree in which he had good reason to fear for his life. I would like to think i could act the same way if ever put into a similar situation.

Hope the woman who was hit makes a full recovery.
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old May 6, 2009, 11:24 PM   #28
ActivShootr

My assesment would be to give the kid a medal.

The percentage of people with ball$ has dramatically declined over the last few years. I nominate this guy for "biggest ones of the year".
Old May 6, 2009, 11:35 PM   #29
Kyo

That is not too far from me. I emailed it to CCN and told them to run that! They should, since all they do is run the bad gun stories
Old May 6, 2009, 11:40 PM   #30
cracked91

Its people like this that do give us a good name,
Old May 7, 2009, 03:11 AM   #31
B.N.Real

It is wonderful to see our students being instructed to defend themselves and actually doing it.

I am tired of seeing our students being told to be helpless sheep.

These are the young people we hope to entrust the free world too.

This was a horror story in process that one outstanding young man stopped from happening.

As usual the chicken xxxx bad guys probably used a defenseless female as a shield.

I hope she recovers qiuckly.
Old May 7, 2009, 03:22 AM   #32
ssilicon

Quote:
One student had a concealed firearm, but waited until it was exceedingly clear everyone's life or well being was in jeopardy before acting. He was (I think rightfully) willing to comply with requests for wallets and cell phones without escalating the situation, but acted when it was clear the BGs intended to kill and rape. I think this was good restraint, especially considering the potential collateral damage in a packed apartment.
The second they threaten to shoot you if you do not do what they say, and show guns that can back up their threat, from that moment on when you have what you believe is your best opportunity, blast him.

I think it is COMPLETELY unreasonable to suggest that one should somehow trust the word of such a person that you will be unharmed if you do what he says. Not only that, but you should be able to use force on him to avoid having to do what he says (even if you think he might allow you to live). Once he points that gun at you he gives up any notion that using force upon him is worse than letting him force you to do things. What I mean by that is that no one is obligated to comply with the demands, and if the threat is you will be harmed if you do not, then shooting him is completely justified as self defense.

Quote:
Speaking of collateral damage, when the GG started shooting, that decision directly or indirectly resulted in injury to one of the women in the apartment, who was "shot in the crossfire". I think, even if the GG's bullets were the ones that hit her, he acted in the right because the possibility of collateral damage was outweighed by the near certainty of rape and murder at the hands of the thugs.
I think he should have placed his shots better if it were his that were hitting innocent bystanders. But yeah, engaging the BGs was the right thing to do.
Old May 7, 2009, 04:57 AM   #33
Transport

Shoot out

I think the chap showed good restraint until the moment came when he knew these BG's wanted more than thier money.

About opening fire in the crowded room, let training take over-
1. Breath
2. Sight alignment, sight picture.
3. Steady squeeze to the rear.

Chuck
Old May 7, 2009, 07:51 AM   #34
Jofaba

They were all very lucky to have that guy there.

If he was carrying instead of it being in a backpack, I wonder if he would have acted at a different time.

As soon as they started separating the men from the women I'm sure everyone knew why. I bet it was torment waiting for an opening to get his gun.

I think the most troubling moment must have been after shooting the first intruder. Obviously the other one hears it and either starts shooting the women or has a chance to prepare for the oncoming gun fight. Or, obviously, even taking a hostage.

Glad it worked out the way it did. Obviously a shame that one girl got shot, but I hope she realizes that things were going to go very badly for everyone involved.

I saw a special on tv about a similar situation. The intruders forced the male and female friends to have sex, the women to have sex with each other, and raped the women themselves. Then brought them (naked I believe) out into the snow and killed them one by one. I believe one woman survived being shot and ran through the snow for quite a while to get help. Incredibly sad story. Immediately popped into my head when I read this thread. The killers were caught and found guilty but after those kinds of crimes no legal punishment fits the bill.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:45 AM   #35
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
I emailed it to CCN and told them to run that!
If they do it will be from the standpoint that the BGs were not really going to hurt anybody and this poor girl only got shot because of some wacko with a LEGAL gun who thinks he's Rambo and look how bad is is for people to carry guns around with them.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:59 AM   #36
Dingoboyx

Wow, great the GG won for once

The report baffles me tho... the quote at least.....

Was there 3 invaders or 2?

The GG shot the guy watching, the gunman jumped out the window & ran? was he the one who was shot?

The second gunman was in a room about to do nasty things to the girls? I thought the gunman jumped out the window? Why would this gunman be about to no nasties to a girl in a small apartment just after a shot was let go in the other room? Surely he would have heard the shot and at least checked it out? (maybe he had other things on his mind? )

Oh, ok, the first gunman got shot & jumped out the window and died soon after....

Wow, scarey situation..... Good on the GG, I reckon he saved alot of lives....

Whew, +1 for the guy to be carrying, well, packing (back packing) at least

Hope the young lady gets better (fully) real soon
Old May 7, 2009, 03:06 PM   #37
PhoenixConflagration

I imagine he complied initially because either (like Jofaba said) he needed the chance to get into his backpack, or the fact that the room was full of his friends made him wait until no other option was available. I fully agree that this guy should be given a medal by the mayor (or even the governor) on the steps of city hall. People can armchair quaterback all day long, but all I can say is, "Please, let me be able to act as well as he did if it happens to me."
Old May 7, 2009, 03:38 PM   #38
TMann

Has this story popped up on any national news sites? I did a quick search of Foxnews and CNN and didn't see it there.

TMann
Old May 7, 2009, 08:20 PM   #39
Mr. Davis

Not that I've seen. I pulled it from the conservative blog Hot Air.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:16 PM   #40
pax
Staff

Quote:
Has this story popped up on any national news sites? I did a quick search of Foxnews and CNN and didn't see it there.
Nope, not that I've seen either.

But you know if 10 people had been shot near a college campus, it would have received significant national air time for weeks.

pax
Old May 7, 2009, 09:23 PM   #41
Nnobby45

Quote:
Not that I've seen. I pulled it from the conservative blog Hot Air.
Ah, Jeez.

http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/10930546.html
Old May 7, 2009, 09:27 PM   #42
Kyo

yea that is what sucks about this crappy media these days. Its all about anti guns this and that. CNN is the largest news out there internet wise, and maybe TV wise too. And they ignore stuff like this. What a horrible news station
Old May 7, 2009, 09:30 PM   #43
onthejon55

Good shoot!!
Old May 9, 2009, 07:49 AM   #44
Jofaba

Looks like "the net" is starting to pick this story up;

http://digg.com/world_news/College_S...vader?FC=PRCT1

Warning: to anyone not familiar with Digg comments, be prepared to become VERY irritated.

Last edited by Jofaba; May 9, 2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old May 9, 2009, 08:35 AM   #45
ExtrahoProeliator

Way to go!!! I think this guy acted responsibly, calmly and with proper restraint. He waited until there was no doubt that he and his friends were in imminent danger of death before he decided to act with the proper force at hand, to end a possible massacre at worst, and a hostage situation at best.

The anti's out there should take note of this story, if they were in this young man's situation, would they have acted as he did, or would they have tried to rationalize the situation and come to a passive conclusion outcome? It was clear that this was not a social call, and these men were not there to sell Avon. They were there for one reason, to commit a crime!!! They came, they saw, they got their asses kicked.

I salute this young man, you did good son...you did good.
Old May 9, 2009, 10:41 AM   #46
YARDDOG(1)

He done good just hope the girl recovers
Old May 9, 2009, 01:53 PM   #47
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Quote:
Nope, not that I've seen either.

But you know if 10 people had been shot near a college campus, it would have received significant national air time for weeks.
Right, it isn't so much the amount of those threatened that matters so much as body counts and the like. Had the good guy shot 10 bad guys, that WOULD be on national news in a heartbeat.

Simply put, hero stories are not nearly as exciting as mayhem stories. Hero stories play well on Oprah, but not the 6 o'clock news.
Old May 9, 2009, 06:47 PM   #48
ZeSpectre

Quote:
Simply put, hero stories are not nearly as exciting as mayhem stories.
They are to me
Old May 9, 2009, 10:58 PM   #49
usnavdoc

I wanted to adress everyones curiosity about why this hasnt made top news headlines. Im from atlanta, College park is firstly nowhere near a college. It is a small town down near our airport. It is in fact the compton of atlanta. when we turn the news on at night and see someone was shot it is generally in this area as it is a high crime/gang/drug environment. I have no idea what college the people involved attended but the nearest one(Ga state) is 20 miles away from college park. Also not sure why college park is named college park lol.
Old May 10, 2009, 02:02 AM   #50
glock06

And my wife wonders why I carry some type of firearm when I am out all the time??