The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 4, 2009, 09:55 PM   #1
getupatree

Is my new Xbolt trigger bad? pics included

Would like anybody with experience on triggers to look this over. I like my new Xbolt but haven't fired it yet. Right after I got it I called Browning and they said the forward movement on the trigger was normal and was overtravel. I guess I can live with that but I personally don't like the front wiggle it has. It is VERY crisp on the pull though.

Later though when mounting my new VX-L I noticed the trigger appears crooked/off-center. Here are pics showing how it is near flush with the port side of the guard and off from the starboard side. Any thoughts? Also pics showing how much forward movement there is. I wish it was solid like my A-bolt.

Old May 5, 2009, 12:38 AM   #2
seanie

I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be, but I'd be pretty ****** off if I bought a new gun and the trigger acted like that.
Old May 5, 2009, 12:46 AM   #3
Scorch

If the manufacturer says it's normal, get on with your life. If it breaks crisp and has no problems, it's OK, really.
Old May 5, 2009, 07:12 AM   #4
getupatree

Browning couldn't give me an answer to it being crooked. Or at least the rude agent on the phone couldn't. I am taking it by the dealer today and have them look it over.

I am sorry but getting a new gun in the box and having the manufacturer not willing to discuss it with you at all and just say send it back at your own expense and in 4 weeks we'll let you know. Not cool.
Old May 5, 2009, 07:18 AM   #5
getupatree

I am just looking for somebody to explain to me why the design allows the trigger to have so much movement. I sure don't have experience with hundreds of guns but I've never held one that did this and with all the marketing hype Browning put on the trigger they should back it up.

Yes, I am just scorned because of a couple bad customer service experiences.
Old May 5, 2009, 07:43 AM   #6
ATANRA

Sending it back will make no difference if they dont see it as a problem. You will get it back in 3 -4 months (after many phone calls by you) the same way you sent it. Experience speaking.
Old May 5, 2009, 03:04 PM   #7
xwe666

I think my x-bolt also have this foward movement so I'm pretty sure its normal.I'll have a look when I get home tomorrow and let you know
Old May 5, 2009, 08:28 PM   #8
bigautomatic

Not familiar with that trigger design, but the forward slack may be necessary for trigger reset. And as far as the off center trigger, it is more likely a guard/stock problem. Not sure how to fix the off center shoe problem, but the forward slack is an easy fix. Stop pushing forward on it. Sorry, couldn't help myself. Just go shoot the thing and give us a report.
Old May 6, 2009, 08:22 PM   #9
xwe666

I just had a look and mine also have the foward movement so I would think its just the way they are made
Old May 6, 2009, 08:26 PM   #10
JagFarlane

Mine has forwards movement as well. The trigger is designed to be quite crisp.