The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 3, 2009, 05:10 PM   #1
bamafan4life

building a ar-15?

okay i helped a buddy build a very expensive colt and i want to attemp this on my own but at a lower cost. i just want a plane jane ar-15 whats the cheapest lower that still is good that i should use? can a standard lower take the 7.62x39 upper? what about a lower parts kit? and i know im ganna have to do quite a bit of searching to find ar-15 parts at this time but is there any place i could get backorderd maybe? how much do u think ill come out with in one? i plan on using a olympic 7.62x39 upper if i can (uses the ak ammo which means i dont have to go out and buy .223) or a good .223 upper. any help will be apreciated
Old May 4, 2009, 07:03 AM   #2
CowTowner

Yes, a 5.56/.223 lower is used to build a 7.62x39mm cal AR rifle. (I'm waiting on my parts now )
You can get a complete parts kit, minus the lower from more than one place.
I used http://www.model1sales.com. I built my 5.56 Nato chambered AR with one of their kits and have no complaints about price, quality or service. The wait is a little longer now days. But what gun purchase related hasn't got some drawback lately?
I bought my lower months ago before the prices went up. Shop around online and at the local gun shows for your stripped lower.

Magazines can be ordered from http://www.cproductsllc.com/shop/index.php?cPath=22_36