The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 2, 2009, 10:33 PM   #1
Frankenstein80

WROL Layout

Hey everybody. I've been watching a lot of Nutnfancy's (excellent) videos and was wondering what everyones setup for WROL would be. If you're not familiar check him out on youtube for some great info.
Old May 3, 2009, 01:21 AM   #2
ChicagoTex

First let me just say: In Before the Lock.

(Threads that are built around the idea of zombie attacks, the end of the world, and any other such nonsense are prohibited on these forums, expect this to be closed by a mod soon).

Now then, I can rant. Nutnfancy got the "nut" part right. You are NOT a sheepdog, you have no RIGHT to be mine or anyone else's sheepdog, so take your fantasies elsewhere. Why can't you people fantasize about attractive women instead of pretending that owning a gun gives you the right or ability to control anyone's destiny but your own?

The idea of a "WROL" (it's cute how Nutnfancy developed his own stupid acronym so he could sound more intelligent), "TEOTWAWKI" or "SHTF" rig is pretty preposterous. You're spending tons of money on something that will most likely never happen and IF IT DOES your equipment will be woefully inadequate anyway. If the Chinese invade tomorrow your AR and Pistol will not save you, no matter how fancy the vest you put them on.

My WROL rig? Praying that people who think something like that makes sense never bother me.
Old May 3, 2009, 07:17 AM   #3
kirkcdl

What is WROL??

Women Running Off Laughing??
Old May 3, 2009, 07:46 AM   #4
ChicagoTex

Quote:
What is WROL??

I had to use some fairly extensive googling to discover that WROL stands for "Without [the] Rule of Law". Note that extensive googling was required because apparently it's an expression ONLY Nutnfancy uses.

Same old anarchist fantasies, stupid new name.
Old May 3, 2009, 09:42 AM   #5
Wayward_Son

I first ran across the "WROL" terminology from another dude on Youtube who calls himself Tex Grebner. Then again, Tex has referenced Nutnfancy in a couple of his videos so who knows.

Whether you agree or disagree with Nutnfancy's "project" or ideas, I think some of what he talks about has merit. He's not necessarily planning for some kind of Red Dawn scenario, even when he goes off about civilian sheepdogs and the responsibilities of the CHL holder. Some of his suggestions apply to much more likely situations that have happened, recently even, here on home turf. New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina, the Los Angeles riots of 1992, the Dade County race riots of 1980--these things happen, and they happen here, and whether you think Nutnfancy and others like him are more of a nut than anything else, it is still best to have some kind of a plan in the rare event that it ever happens to you.

"What is WROL??

Women Running Off Laughing??"

Man, story of my life!
Old May 3, 2009, 10:51 AM   #6
Frankenstein80

Thank you Wayward Son. I am NOT a crazy paranoid bastard who thinks the world is going to end and I do not believe in a "zombie apocalypse" by WROL I mean for police and members of the military and maybe what some people open carry. Also, you (Chicago Tex) are wrong about "sheepdogs" they have every right to protect you and if I were being mugged it would sure be nice to have an armed person at my back to help me.

"You are NOT a sheepdog, you have no RIGHT to be mine or anyone else's sheepdog, so take your fantasies elsewhere."

I am not a sheep dog and do not try to be as I live in IL and we don't issue CCW. HOWEVER as soon as we do I will apply for one. I believe that the "sheepdog" idea is a great one which will save lives.

ChicagoTex, please leave your negative comments to yourself, if you do not like my thread then stay out of it. INB4 negative comments.

Last edited by Frankenstein80; May 3, 2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:56 AM   #7
Wildalaska

I think nuntnfancy is a disgrace to gun owners, and Im more scared of folks who consider themselves sheepdogs than I am of criminals.

And as this thread is TEOTWAWKI under another acronym, and is just a "lets critizise the whole thread premise" thread anyway, hopefully some mod will stroll by and close it.

WildhaidozoAlaska TM
Old May 3, 2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Frankenstein80

Have you even read my posts before criticizing? Geez people, I said POLICE and ACTIVE MILITARY loadouts and if someone wants to throw in what they open carry thats fine too. You didn't even read before posting, its amazing how people form a whole argument just by the title.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:06 AM   #9
ursavus.elemensis

People who use the terms "sheep" and "sheepdogs" to describe citizens betray a complete ignorance of sheep, dogs, and how they interact. Sheepdogs are flock HERDING dogs. They are most definitely NOT flock GUARDING dogs. Those are different kinds of dogs than sheepdogs. You need to know about livestock and the difference between herding and guarding or you just wind up using terminology that makes you sound like an idiot who is using words he obviously does not understand. Ask a sheep farmer and he'll explain it to you. Until then, stop pretending you know what you're talking about.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:13 AM   #10
Frankenstein80

I didn't make the expression dude, neither did Nutnfancy, He says "stole" the term from another gentleman in one of his videos.

Thank you for your explanation of sheep and (literal) sheepdogs.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:18 AM   #11
christcorp

So, in a "Nut-n-fancy" description; can someone PLEASE tell me "What the Hell" this thread is about??????????????

Thanks! Mike
Old May 3, 2009, 11:24 AM   #12
Sevens

Quote:
What is WROL??

Lobbed over the plate, this one is going ALL THE WAY!
Old May 3, 2009, 11:25 AM   #13
Wayward_Son

This thread is supposed to be about your bug-out gear in the case of societal breakdown. That's what I gather from the OP, anyway, and I imagine this will be locked soon.

I think the OP is interested in learning about people's "emergency survival" setups. Primary firearms, secondary and backups, sidearms, ammo stores, holsters, slings, backpacks, vests, magazines, knives, etc.

While I think these are all decent things to discuss, they are not allowed on this forum as I understand it--at least not under the particular premise of WROL/SHTF/TEOTWAWKI. There are plenty of other sites that welcome such discussion. As has been previously stated, the first admin that sees this thread will probably close it.

Frankenstein80, PM sent.

Last edited by Wayward_Son; May 3, 2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:26 AM   #14
Frankenstein80

WROL = (without rule of law)Open carry in constant expectation of being attacked. I aimed this thread at military and law enforcement members, but everyone seems to think I'm heralding the apocalypse and that is not true.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:32 AM   #15
David Armstrong

Quote:
I think nuntnfancy is a disgrace to gun owners, and Im more scared of folks who consider themselves sheepdogs than I am of criminals.
+1! I find the terminology about sheep and sheepdogs rather silly, and I find the idea of others thinking they have the right to sheepdog me and mine offensive and, given the way many of them talk, more than a little frightening.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:38 AM   #16
Frankenstein80

since theres so many negative comments I'll just close the thread.

Except I don't know how.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:40 AM   #17
TMackey

Quote:
Except I don't know how.
I'm sure there will be someone to give you a hand with it.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:06 PM   #18
christcorp

frank; I understand what "WROL" is. My question was to determine exactly what you were aiming at with the topic. You're going to have some people that believe when it comes to the self defense needs, that a lot of ammo/guns isn't that necessary. (Which I believe this way). Even in a survival mode, that much isn't necessary. However, you're going to have those that believe a gun of every caliber and 20,000 rounds of each caliber is necessary. So again, I ask, what is the purpose of the thread? There are plenty of forums that will discuss paranoia, conspiracy theories, etc... But I just don't see the purpose here. Not unless you're paranoid and trying to get others to validate your beliefs to make you feel better about yourself.

But self defense would be a good example of this. Exactly, how much ammo would a person believe they need for self defense against a break in or for their carry weapon. Well, let's go extreme and let's assume you had 4 weapons for self defense. A shotgun at home, a handgun in one part of the house. Another handgun in another part of the house. And a handgun that you carry. Well, in the last 50 years, I remember both the riots of the 60's and the LA riots. These would be some pretty extreme situations. Living in the New York City/New Jersey area in the 60's; I don't think that my father, uncles, grandfather, or anyone else I know even shot an entire box of ammo to protect themselves or their homes. Some shots were fired. I remember it well. But the reality is; for self defense purposes, you're probably not going to need more than 1 box of ammunition for each caliber of gun that you are using for self defense. Anything past that is paranoia. Obviously, you WANT more for plinking, practicing, etc... But for actual self defense, you don't NEED more.

As for a survival environment, the majority of ammo I will have will be 22's. For survival, they are the best thing you can have. I will have a little handgun/shotgun to protect what I have; but that goes back to self defense. And without going to paranoid, maybe have some for trading material. But anything beyond this is paranoia. People with tens of thousands of rounds of ammo for survival purposes is strictly paranoia. And I define paranoia as anticipating a certain level of response without having any valid reason, proof, or historical data to validate it.

So, tell me again; what's the PURPOSE of your thread???? Mike.....
Old May 3, 2009, 12:35 PM   #19
Tennessee Gentleman

I lump the sheepdog/sheep/wolf mentality in with the Citizen's Militia/Insurrection Theory that I continually debate in opposition to with many on the L&CR forum. It is a nutty and dangerous idea and hurts our efforts to oppose gun control.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:48 PM   #20
JohnKSa
Staff

...by any other name it still smells the same.