The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 6, 2009, 03:50 AM   #26
LordofWar

Maybe it went through the a** and broke it's heart :P
Old May 6, 2009, 08:30 AM   #27
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

LordofWar, a buddy of mine did exactly that to a coyote, with a .25-'06. But a rabbit doesn't lift his tail like a cat or dog. No little brown eye winking back at you.
Old May 6, 2009, 09:08 AM   #28
45Marlin carbine

I did that once with my 4th of July & New Years noisemaker 4" steel pipe 'cannon' that shoots welding gas. it ran out of low bush after I fired on the 4th and collapsed right in front of us.
Old May 6, 2009, 09:35 AM   #29
Miller77

Me and a buddy were shooting ground squirrels with our 20 gauges one time. he shot the thing and it jumped a couple feet in the air and died instantly. we were using bird shot and when we looked at the animal the only damage was a little hair missing from its arm: which was broken. It was weird. Maybe they dont have a very good pain tolerance
Old May 6, 2009, 09:53 AM   #30
johnwilliamson062

Domestic rabbits can scare to death and they can also scare so that they will run in their cage until they die. At least I had an Aunt that raised rabbits for a while and she says both happened.
I vote for the you just didn't see the wound or or you bounced one off its head since it did the flip though.
Old May 6, 2009, 10:17 AM   #31
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

What was funny was watchin' "Deadly"... she took it from me and put it down nosing it and rolling it around looking for the exit wound and lookin' up at me as if to ask "What now?". she would start to walk away and snatch it back up when I went to it... It took several "Git that rabbit, girl" commands and threats of "I'll give it to yer sister "Rookie" or "tater" over there if you don't want it..." Before she figured "Awe heck... may as well just start with the head..."
Brent
Old May 6, 2009, 05:34 PM   #32
butterboy

I once shot this giant rat with a .22 cal riffle,at about 10 yards, he must have been sick or dieing cause he was just sitting there . but about 4 inches above his head was a huge window ,that if I had broke, would have ment a beating from my uncle .lol
Got him though , we all thought it was funny..
Old May 6, 2009, 05:43 PM   #33
comn-cents

Ya ever hit a ground squirrel with a 170 grain hollow point at 25 yrds, out of a 30/30? Not sure if I did either!
Old May 6, 2009, 06:07 PM   #34
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

comn-, It took a second to sink in but that was funny...
One day deer huntin' as a teen, a squirrel had barked and bothered me for a couple hours in late afternoon. I am confident he scared off the deer. So before I left I squeaked my lips and when he looked at me I sent a 12 gauge 1 ounce slug his direction mainly just to show him who was boss and dang if I didn't hit him square in the chest... I couldn't find the entry wound on him either....I did find a head, one front leg and a tail in about a 20-25 square foot spot...
Brent
Old May 6, 2009, 08:53 PM   #35
troy_mclure

hogdogs, i saw that happen once. i was laughing my but off!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 6, 2009, 10:39 PM   #36
Xwrench3

it has been well over 30 years, but i had the same experience. only i was using a FAST beagle (she would bring the rabbit by 3 times, if we failed to shoot it in that amount of time, she would usually bring the rabbit back in her mouth!) and a shotgun. not only couldn't we find an entrance wound, but when we skinned it out, there were no holes anywhere in the pelt. our thinking was that the dog was running it fast, and when i shot, the little furball had a heart attack. boy, i miss that dog!
Old May 7, 2009, 01:21 AM   #37
Jseime

I have never scared one to death but i sure have scared the daylights put of them... a .22 bullet hitting very close as they run can produce one heck of a jump.

The .270 is the only way to go for rabbit... you know when you hit one of those big ol prairie jackrabbits we have here cuz it smears em straight from hell to breakfast.