The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 1, 2009, 07:24 AM   #1
Visaman

357 magnums with integrated weaver/ picatinny rail

I have seen that it exists on Smith and Wesson Model 327 M&P R8 ( expensive :S ) and ruger redhawks..

Is there any more of them in stainless ?
Old May 1, 2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Jim March

Ruger is doing a set of proprietary scope ring mounts on the Redhawk, SuperRedhawk and the single action "Hunter" series. They're not weaver-type rails, and with the scope unmounted don't look near as ugly .

The Ruger setup works quite well, and the guns so equipped generally come with Ruger's rings.
Old May 2, 2009, 05:23 AM   #3
Visaman

Is there any other good ways to mount scopes etc ?
I dont like that it is drilled holes in the frame, because it creates weak spots.
Old May 2, 2009, 05:45 AM   #4
ChicagoTex

Quote:
because it creates weak spots.
Pretty much all modern quality revolvers are more than robust enough not to suffer from drilling and tapping.
Old May 2, 2009, 05:56 AM   #5
2DaMtns

Weigand and some others make some no-drill scope mounts. I am not sure what all applications they have, but there are some out there. I have one for my Redhawk, not sure who made it, but it slides from the front of the barrel to just in front of the cylinder, and then is screwed into the rear sight mount. Seemed pretty secure, but when I took it off, the pistol was pretty beat up underneath.
Old May 2, 2009, 06:15 AM   #6
Radagast

There is a 686 with adjustable weights under the barrel and a built in rail. MY BIL has one and loves it, personally I don't like the balance.

Some current S&W revolvers are drilled and tapped under the sight rib so you can mount an aftermarket rail, I did this with my fathers 617 and a red dot.
Old May 2, 2009, 08:42 AM   #7
Elvishead

Quote:
Visaman:

I dont like that it is drilled holes in the frame, because it creates weak spots.
Yes I agree!

I'd say you'd really have to get somebody that really, "Really!" knows what they are doing to keep structural integrity.

TBS, it can be done, you just need to find who can actually do it properly.
Old May 2, 2009, 04:23 PM   #8
Technosavant

Quote:
I have seen that it exists on Smith and Wesson Model 327 M&P R8 ( expensive :S ) and ruger redhawks..

Is there any more of them in stainless ?
Sounds like the OP is asking about the lower rail found on the M&P R8 and the TRR8 (the TRR8's lower rail is removable, but is otherwise identical).

No, to my knowledge there is not one in .357 that has a stainless finish. Some of the long barreled 460XVR revolvers have a stainless finish and lower rail, but that's more for a bipod than for a tac light or laser. S&W just hasn't bothered with a stainless tactical revolver.
Old May 4, 2009, 11:24 AM   #9
Jimbo-Indy

Here's what you are looking for:
S&W model 686 Hunter
It's an early Performance Center item made on the 686-3 frame (square butt). The original run was 200 units made for Lew Horton Dist.
I found this one in a local gun shop for $1000. They are rare but they are out there. Yes, it shoots as well as it looks. Single action trigger pull is 2# and double action is 6#, smooth as glass.
NO, it is not for sale.
Old May 4, 2009, 03:32 PM   #10
Sarvisian

Pretty much every Smith and Wesson revolver with adjustable sights comes from the factory drilled and tapped for scope mounts. You simply remove the rear sight and attach the scope mount.
Old May 16, 2009, 06:51 AM   #11
Visaman

is it possible to keep the rear sight and still mount a scope mount ?
Old May 18, 2009, 07:55 AM   #12
David the Gnome

Weigand makes a rail that replaces the rear sight on S&W models. It's a very solid mount so long as you follow the instructions, clean the screw threads, and use some blue loctite.