The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Solvo Pium

Location: Where it is normally warm and hot 9 months out of the year.
How much does 1 pound of gunpowder load??

I have Benchmark, H335, H322 for reloading .223 and have TiteGroup and H4898 for my .40 caliber. Was wondering how much does 1 pound of powder make as far as reloading the brass??
Old April 30, 2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Shoney

A pound of powder contains 7000 grains. I'm sure you can do the math.

7000/grains per cartridge = # loads per pound.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 30, 2009, 05:08 PM   #3
ar15chase

I think that there is 7000 grains per pound. Do the math. But I might be wrong.
A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
Old April 30, 2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Ruger4570

There are 7,000 grains to a pound. Simply divide the grains in your load into 7,000. The answer is how many rounds you can load.
Old April 30, 2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Solvo Pium

Thanks for the info

Thanks guys. Yep, I have seen you guys online several times, sounds like you are pretty efficient with this. My father is coming over this weekend, he just bought a Rock Rier AR-15, and we will be doing some reloading and shooting. The good bonding thing, knowutimean? Anyhow, thanks.
Old April 30, 2009, 07:14 PM   #6
rn22723

This question proves people can not read, let alone use google to figure out something that is RELOADING 101. My gosh!
Old April 30, 2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Shoney

rn22723
Do you mean their lack of experience (as you were once inexperienced) gives you license to be rude and derogatory?????
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 30, 2009, 07:24 PM   #8
rjrivero

Such is forum Life.....

That's how life on forums goes. People discover the forum and ask questions that most likely have been asked before.

We are all new here at one time or another, and the mark of a good online community is how we "welcome" new folks into the forums.

I like to live by the rule my Mother taught me, "If you can't say anything nice, at least wait until they leave the room to talk about them."
Old April 30, 2009, 07:27 PM   #9
Ruger4570

Shoney, I agree with you. There is NO NEED to get involved in a thread just to belittle someone. I know I got a LOT of info regarding reloading from people I knew that answered my "dumb" questions when I first started loading. I read a LOT of books and magazines too, but I didn't always find the particular answer to my question.
What other reason does this handloading site exist other than inform people and exchange thoughts?
Old April 30, 2009, 07:32 PM   #10
Shoney

My mother also told me something that I carry with me. When I was a little shaver a neighbors Jackass would bray loud and long. That disturbed me enough to sneek down one time and pelt him with road apples every time he brayed.

Mom caught me and told me becasue of my actions that poor dumb animal would irritate me the rest of my life.

She was right!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if I can be heard in Minneapolis?
Old April 30, 2009, 07:50 PM   #11
HisSoldier

Shoney, That's funny!

rjrivero;
Quote:
I like to live by the rule my Mother taught me, "If you can't say anything nice, at least wait until they leave the room to talk about them."
One thing I've found out in forums is that people are much more rude in a distant venue like this than they will be in person. If people are nasty in person they get their noses bloodied occasionally, that's why if their mothers didn't teach them right when they were young they act like that in forums, no one can smack 'em. People who respect others as children will respect people all their lives, even on the internet.

My .45 ACP loaded with 8.6 grains of AA7 will go through a pound of that in 814 rounds, but if I use Bullseye at a target load of 4 grains I can make 1750 rounds from a pound. I'm switching to Bullseye!
I have CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P-238's. Video on installation in Sig;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2v_-87DRM
Old April 30, 2009, 09:42 PM   #12
lonewolf2810

(This question proves people can not read, let alone use google to figure out something that is RELOADING 101. My gosh!)

Does this quote mean there is a lot of bashing going on here? I am new to this also and if this happens often it would make me think before I ask for help.
Old April 30, 2009, 10:22 PM   #13
longranger

lonewolf,

Welcome to the forum, there are some hot shots here that think they have something to prove.It does not take long to figure out who knows what there talking about and those who think they know what there talking about. Those who think they know what there talking about will get challenged by those who do know what they are talking about.Clear as mud?There is a search feature on this forum.Not every new person here is new to guns and related topics.

Last edited by longranger; April 30, 2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old April 30, 2009, 10:56 PM   #14
Tex S

eeeeeeeasy boys... He's brand new here.

Welcome to TFL Lonewolf & Solvo!

Feel free to use the search feature. Over the years every possible reloading question has been answered here at least 5 or 6 times .

I.M.O. the forum here will prove to be a much larger wealth of information if everybody reads old threads and a reloading manual before posting.
Old April 30, 2009, 11:11 PM   #15
Jim Watson

Agreed.
It is nice to be cordial to the new guys, but it is a slow go to learn handloading one question at a time on the internet. Books are best. Searches aren't much help if you don't know what to search for.
Old May 1, 2009, 12:15 AM   #16
Dr. Strangelove

A lesson here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf2810
Does this quote mean there is a lot of bashing going on here? I am new to this also and if this happens often it would make me think before I ask for help.
Is this really what we want here in the Handloading and Reloading forum?

The original poster asked a valid question. Yes, the question does show he/she doesn't have a huge amount of experience in loading. That doesn't make it a less valid question. Who knows how many people may have had the same question that happened to see this thread and find the answer? At least the original poster asked the question.

For lonewolf2810: please don't hesitate to ask questions, I'm no loading guru, but if I know the answer, I'll be happy to respond, no matter how basic the question.

To those who get angry at the "simple" questions: Just don't read the thread! I would have loved to have a resource like this available when I was starting out, let's not scare away the new folks by being conceited. If someone posts questions that show they may be entering dangerous territory, let them know, but don't be rude to folks asking "newbie" questions, we were all there once upon a time. The "newbies" may well soon become contributing members with insight and information for us all...
Old May 1, 2009, 01:37 AM   #17
btefft

All you newbies to reloading - ask away.

I've been flamed a few, no a lot, of times and I either just ignore it or sometimes I'll sling some crap back just to make them madder.

Wouldn't that been a thread - describe a few of the times you've been flamed.

Like I said, don't hold back because some moron thinks he is too good to help a brother.

I'll help - if I can - and not insult you in the process.

Now about how far a pound of powder goes, like others have said, it all depends on the size of your charge. I often buy a particular kind of powder for the reason that it uses a smaller charge than another kind of powder for similar velocities.

For ex, when reloading for my 223 I can use H4198 (19gr) or IMR 3031 (20.5gr) or W748 (22.7gr) and get around 2800 fps out of a 55 gr bullet.

Obviously, I'd run out of W748 or IMR 3031 before I'd run out of H4198.
That's why I buy H4198 (IMR 4198 (18gr) would be even better, but I can't get any.)

Hack
Old May 1, 2009, 04:34 AM   #18
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day and welcome. Don't worry about those who don't like the "silly" question. They must have forgotten the memo about there not being any silly question.
Quote:
Searches aren't much help if you don't know what to search for
I am still having trouble finding information that I want.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:51 AM   #19
lonewolf2810

Thanks for all the reply's guys sounds like I may have found a good place to learn from. I hope I don't make anyone mad but if so I will say sorry but stand by what I say. I will be willing to help out where I can after I learn. Again thank you for the welcome.

LW2810
Old May 1, 2009, 08:46 PM   #20
Solvo Pium

Wow!

Apparently some folks have nothing better to do but try to agitate people. Well, I just ignore it. Thanks for the back up for the others. The REASON why I am asking, is of course, new to reloading, and I'm about to be on a tight budget, we have a little one on the way, and my wife is very supportive in the new hobby, although I have been shooting for many years, just not reloading. Sooo, I am calculating (with everyone's help of course) how much more gunpowder I can buy to load what I have ordered without my wife shooting my ass, no pun intended. Anyhow, will let everyone know how it went. Have a good weekend.
Old May 1, 2009, 10:25 PM   #21
rjrivero

This might Help....

How about a "Reload Calculator"

You can price out how much your rounds cost and how much they cost per 50 and per 1000.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

I didn't search to see if this was posted here before. I presume it has been.
Old May 2, 2009, 06:47 AM   #22
ShootingNut

Always Proven To Be True

The old saying "there is a smart a$$ in every crowd".
A Forum is a cyber crowd.
Old May 2, 2009, 10:23 AM   #23
osceolawell

If we newbees use the search feature ( over the years every possible question has been answered at least 5 or 6 times ), what will you other
people have to talk about ?
You would have to change forums to talk about what, Banana Boats
or something?
Just joking. I'm new here but I've been here a year or so with my mouth shut and
reading the fourm. So everyone say welcome Osceolawell. Thanks!!!
Old May 2, 2009, 07:16 PM   #24
Snobal

"I have Benchmark, H335, H322 for reloading .223 and have TiteGroup and H4898 for my .40 caliber. Was wondering how much does 1 pound of powder make as far as reloading the brass??"

7000 grains to a pound....

This is why I love Bullseye Powder....

For my .38 Special and .357 Mag target ammo --- I load 3.5 grains or less...

...and get over 2000 shots per pound...
Old May 2, 2009, 08:00 PM   #25
James R. Burke

I was taught the only stupid question is the one you dont ask. I belong to this forum because I believe most members are always willing to help out, and it is a great forum that should stay that way. Seems you always need someone to say something bad or smart. Must make them feel important or something. No doubt they grew up has a spoiled little kid. Your right that person would never say things smart a_ _ to someones face, they would get there nose bleeding real fast!