The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 29, 2009, 07:09 PM   #1
bsbllrooster10

speed loader for the taurus 608 (8 shot)?????

Are there any speed loaders for this gun. Its a 357/38. All i was able to find were 6 and 7 shot reloaders. Does anyone know of one? I used the search feature of this site but all I found was that the only one made is junk but they didn't specify who made it or where I could find one. Is this true? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old April 29, 2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Stainz

My S&W 627's just got 50 more 'speedloaders' - for $50 delivered from Ranch Products. Of course, I am speaking of the 8-hole moonclips. If the Taurus takes those moonclips, too, that is a better way to go. Also, the Brownell's nutdriver-style de-mooner works quite well and is reasonably priced. I, too, have 'heard' a less than efficient speedloader exists - the moonclips are fast enough for me.

Stainz
Old April 29, 2009, 08:56 PM   #3
bsbllrooster10

unfortunately i read that the taurus doesn't accept moon clips so looks like i'm limited to speed loaders only.
Old April 29, 2009, 09:17 PM   #4
bds32

the eight shot speed loader I believe you are referring to is called "Maxfire". I've never used one so don't know. http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...27__Taurus_608
Old April 29, 2009, 11:08 PM   #5
bsbllrooster10

gracias

thanks thats all I was looking for. I guess I'll give em a shot. Only 5 bucks a piece. We'll see how it goes.
Old May 1, 2009, 02:39 AM   #6
AZRaptor

I've been looking for speedloaders for the 608 and have had no luck as well. I've read poor reviews on the Maxfire loaders regarding the thin rubber dividers ripping.

It's true the 608 doesn't take moonclips out of the box, but you can get the cylinder machined to take moonclips and still be able to load it without the clips because of how the cylinder is machined.

TKCustom does S&W cylinders and has a video of how it is done on their site.

TKCustom doesn't do Taurus cylinders but Ten-Ring Precision does, and they do it the same way. It runs $100 for the service and it includes three moonclips.

I'm not associated with either company, I just know it was something I've been considering for my 608 and thought I'd pass it along. A couple of people at the Taurusarmed.net forums have had it done and were pleased with the results.
Old May 1, 2009, 03:07 PM   #7
bsbllrooster10

thanks

Thanks for the informative reply. Its nice to know that I have a higher quality options. How exactly does a moon clip work??
Old May 1, 2009, 07:45 PM   #8
MBRinTN

Its not a speedloader, but there is a company making 8-round speed strips:
http://www.tuffproducts.com/product....cat=265&page=2
They also make a nifty strip for a .22 rimfire, which I like a lot.

Not associated with the company, etc.,

Last edited by MBRinTN; May 1, 2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Oops, wrong link.
Old May 1, 2009, 08:30 PM   #9
Technosavant

I don't know about the Taurus 608, but for the Smith & Wesson 327/627 models, there are no and will be no "normal" speedloaders for them. There isn't enough room between the rims of the cartridges to make sure the speedloaders hold together. The Maxfires are as good as you'll find (without moonclips), but you will have to be careful with those things- I've read that repeated use of them can potentially bend the crane.
Old May 2, 2009, 01:31 AM   #10
AZRaptor

bsbllrooster10,

Moonclips are metal rings that clip (in the case of the 608) 8-rounds into it and just drops into the back of the cylinder. The moonclip actually stays on the back of the cylinder when loaded. Whn you have the cylinder machined for moonclips they shave a shallow groove into the back of the sylinder so the moonclip sits flush when loaded into the revolver. The clips look like this and you can see the machining process in the youtube video I listed in the earlier post.

Old May 2, 2009, 08:59 AM   #11
Elvishead

Being a former owner of a 608. As far as
Quote:
I've read that repeated use of them can potentially bend the crane.
First, your probably talking about competition. Repeat, and repeat until the gun fails.

That makes some type of sense because they do require a bit of wrestling putting them SOBs in.

My brother that I sold my 608 to, he said "Maybe a little sylicon might make it easier."

TBS, they are not really speed loaders "Persay" they are easy loaders in the big 8 shooter.

Now I use moon clip (Not really, but I would if I wanted to. ) in my S&W 8 shooters.
Old May 2, 2009, 07:07 PM   #12
Stainz

Moonclips make for fast reloads in what they were initally designed for - .45 ACPs. The short fat round doesn't wobble like the long .357M cases do. Plus - the typical 230gr RN hits the eased ejector star's entries and it's like a tractor beam sucking the moonclipped .45s in. The eight spindly legs don't line up so well - there is almost a repulsion with the 8-hole 'clips and a 627. Sure, it's faster than manual reloading, but nothing like a 625 and those .45s. In both cases, muzzle down - and gravity becomes your friend.

The cylinder is shorter, in the 625, by the thickness of the rimless .45 ACP's moonclips, so either they headspace by that thickness or by the chamber step and the case mouth. This was the case with Taurus's short lived 'Stellar Clips', and their 5-shot .45 ACP 'Tracker' models (Neat gun!). The 8-hole 627, if milled for moonclips, has a vestige of the original cylinder's rim left - allowing the rimmed .38/.357M cartridges to headspace on it, with the moonclip thickness unimportant as long as it is less than the cylinder rim's height. In fact, I noticed the latest Ranch Products 627 'clips were thinner, by a couple thousandths, than earlier units. This makes for easier reloading of the clips. BTW, both sizes - 6-hole .45 ACP and 8-hole .357M moonclips - seem to really load easiest with Starline brass, if you are a reloader.

I would see what they do for a C-note. If they dish the cylinder, leaving the rim to catch the cartridge case rims whether clipped or not, ease the ejector star for faster reloads, and test it, that's a deal. Of course, then there is ffl xfr & shipping... still, for 100/$75, the Ranch Products moonclips are 'the answer'. Good luck.

Stainz

I have no commercial ties to S&W, Ranch Products, or Starline Brass. I should... they are all great companies - and have made moola off of me!
Old November 14, 2011, 12:31 AM   #13
Hallne33

608 speedloaders

5 star firearms makes a speed loader for the 608 (and the 327/627) I've never used their products but here's the link. http://5starfirearms.com/357_n_608.html