The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 28, 2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

BIG BORE Express lite double rifle ???

man... what a dark path I've found myself wandering down...

my local builder / buddy has been wanting to do something eh... a little different, & he's been dragging me ( kicking & screaming ) along with him... his ideas revolve around old milsurp actions...

but how about a Stoeger side by side 28 gauge double barrel shotgun rebarreled with 58 caliber rifled muzzleloader barrels, cut & fitted with 577 Snider chambers ??? ( I found a place pretty local that has 3 of the 28 ga side by side doubles for pretty cheap )

the Brass, 58 caliber mini balls, & even Lee dies are all readily available...

I think the Snider is exempt from the "over 50 cal. ruling " because of it's age... I was thinking a big bore double might be fun to add to the collection along with my new Remington 45-70 double...

thoughts or suggestions ???
Old April 28, 2009, 10:45 AM   #2
darkgael

DR

That sounds neat, especially the chambering. I wonder, though, about how you are going to regulate the thing. The three common methods are to use a jack screw, to set the barrels in a jig that has been calibrated and then solder them together, and the third which is like the second except the barrels are soldered, shot, desoldered, adjusted, resoldered, shot, etc. until they shoot together.
What are your plans?
Pete
Old April 28, 2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

Well I'm not the "builder" of the duo... but I really like the mono block chamber that the guy used on Hubels "shotgun from hell thread"... I guess I was thinking about something like that, with the jack screw set up similar to how my 45-70 is regulated for putting the barrels together... I'm sure my buddy has possibly even a better idea ??? ( last we chatted, we were not talkin doubles though ??? )
Old April 28, 2009, 11:07 AM   #4
jglsprings

How about this........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vmPC5elephant.jpg (81.8 KB, 205 views)
Old April 28, 2009, 11:11 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

that is funny...

but in all fairness, the 577 Snider is a much shorter cartridge than the typical 577 "African game" size cartridge
Old April 28, 2009, 11:19 AM   #6
jglsprings

Quote:
that is funny...

but in all fairness, the 577 Snider is a much shorter cartridge than the typical 577 "African game" size cartridge
The perfect CCW round for elephants!!!

No more "Which is better 38 / 9mm / 45acp" threads!!
Old April 28, 2009, 11:45 AM   #7
Scorch

Why not just make the double in 45-70? It's fairly easy to do, ammo is available, and factory ammo is kept pretty mild. Or, if that worries you, make it in 38/55 or 357 Maximum, 44 Magnum, 45 Colt, or any one of a dozen other rounds. It's fairly easy to do, and relatively inexpensive (you do have to buy 2 barrels, which can get expensive).
Old April 28, 2009, 01:10 PM   #8
darkgael

DR

Quote:
It's fairly easy to do
Putting one together is fairly easy. Getting both barrels to shoot the same load to the same place is more of a task.
Pete
Old April 28, 2009, 01:39 PM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

already have a double in 45-70...

Old April 28, 2009, 02:26 PM   #10
publius

Regulating the barrels would be a big concern to me. I know some very good custom rifle builders and every one I have ever mentioned a double build to says they wouldn't attempt a double build b/c of this.
Old April 28, 2009, 03:06 PM   #11
darkgael

Rem DR

MagWheelMan: How does that Remington shoot between here and 100 yards? What loads have you tried? I've been sorely tempted.
I have an O/U DR, a Rizzini 90L Express in .30-06. Beautiful gun. The barrels print within a couple of inches of each other at 100 yards. Haven't tried it at any longer range.
Pete
Old April 28, 2009, 03:14 PM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

it's still on layaway ( about 3/4 paid for )... it was an "unplanned" purchase however, they are only rated for lower pressure ( trapdoor ) loads... I plan on heavy bullet loads at lighter pressures for this rifle

the Remy / Russian imports use a jack screw to adjust the left barrel, the front sight is ( AK style ) height adjustable, & the rear is windage adjustable... I'm thinking about changing out to fiber optic sights on this rifle

this is the jack screw...

BTW... I'm thinking about patterning my regulation system similarly to how this one works, but with maybe some better sights... thinkin Williams fiber optic ghost ring sights...
Old May 1, 2009, 05:21 AM   #13
darkgael

sights

MagWhlMn: If you are gonna do it, why not use classic Express sights on a quarter rib?
What kind of sights are on the Remington?
Pete
Old May 1, 2009, 06:55 AM   #14
LordofWar

I recebtly acquired a H&H Double Express rifle in .500 Nitro.

Planning on using it this year @ Africa.
Old May 1, 2009, 07:32 AM   #15
jglsprings

Quote:
I recebtly acquired a H&H Double Express rifle in .500 Nitro.

Planning on using it this year @ Africa.
Can you post a picture of the 500 next to something more common like a 30-06 cartridge?

A picture of the rifle would be nice too.... the H&H's are truly a work of art.

TIA
Old May 1, 2009, 07:51 AM   #16
Magnum Wheel Man

I have a set of 3 leaf safari sights on my Martini "safari" 45-70... the Remington double just has a simple solid rear v notch sight that is drift adjustable in a dove tail, the evelvation adjustment is done with the AK style screw in front sight... I'm kind of undecided if I want a more "traditional" look via the sights, or if I want the more practical "use" of a fiber optic sight... I really like those Williams fiber optic ghost ring sights... fast & practical... IMO, one of the best set of sights that could go on a modern dangerous game rifle...

this is the rear sight

L.O.W.... very jelous... of both the rifle, & the trip to Africa... would love to see pics...

this is the best pic I have of the rear sight on the Remington double...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guns 209.jpg (46.9 KB, 1057 views)

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; May 1, 2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old May 1, 2009, 09:00 AM   #17
pesta2

Quote:
Can you post a picture of the 500 next to something more common like a 30-06 cartridge?
Jglsprings

Here are some from my cartridge collection.

Large bores .50 and above:
From left to right:

.223 and .280 for scale purposes
.505 Gibbs
.50 Whisper
.500 Nitro
.577 BP Express
.577 Nitro
.577 T-rex
.585 Nyati
.600 Nitro
.700 Nitro
Old May 1, 2009, 09:41 AM   #18
jglsprings

Thanks! A picture always adds a thousand words!
Old May 4, 2009, 06:45 AM   #19
Magnum Wheel Man

I got to talk to my builder buddy about my project over the week end... if I can find a 12 ga. double barrel shotgun strong enough, he has an idea as far as regulating the barrels... we'll use the 12 ga barrels, & make barrel liners for the 577 Snider, then ad 3 set screws threaded in at the muzzle of each 12 gauge barrel, to adjust the liner inside, once the barrels were regulated, the screws could be timmed to length, or an o ring could be added to the barrel liner 4-6" down from the muzzle and a pourable epoxy could be added between the liner & the 12 ga barrel to keep the liners in position... or I could solder them in position as well... I though this was as good an idea as any, the gun would look just like the 12 ga double, but would be fitted to the 577 Snider...

now... I'd need to find an action strong enough to handle the cartridge... at even black powder pressure, the cartridge creates almost twice the pressure of a 12 ga magnum...

double exposed hammers would be way cool, but any suggestions as to the strongest / cheapest double barrel 12 ga ??? my buddy thought the Russian guns would be as good a starting place as any, & the coach guns are popular right now, & they might be a good place to start, but I might want a longer barrel than the 18-20" that are common on the coach guns...

any suggestions ???
Old May 4, 2009, 07:37 AM   #20
Jim Watson

I once read through all the conversion posts on AccurateReloading.com and NitroExpress.com and there are a lot of things to know about making a shotgun into a rifle. It might pay you to spend some time there:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/ubbthreads.php?Cat=0
You have to register to get the gunsmithing and reloading sections under double rifles to show up.

There is also a book on the subject.
http://bundukipublishing.com/doublerifle.htm
Old May 4, 2009, 07:58 AM   #21
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks JIM... I'll try registering over there... I'm looking forward to playing with my 1st double ( 45-70 ) as soon as it's off layaway, & hope to build this poor mans big bore double over the summer...
Old May 7, 2009, 06:40 AM   #22
Magnum Wheel Man

OK... how did I do ???

I stopped in at the local Cabelas last night after I got back into town ( from a road trip ) & they had just recieved a part of a big collection of old double barrels from another store ( I think they spread the collection around to several of their stores )... as I was walking by, to the reloadng department ( a regular routine ) a double barrel caught my eye... no wood fore end... it was metal, & had exposed hammers... I swerved into the used gun department... The gun was an "under lever" ??? Husquavarna hmmm... looks interesting... as I started to look at the racks, another caught my eye, then another, & another... holy cowboy batman... lots & lots of old double barrel exposed hammer shotguns... 1st, I called my builder buddy & asked his opinion, as there were several Belgain guns & a Sauer or two as well... he thought there would be nothing wrong with the Husky's with thier Swedish steel... after I got off the phone with him, I promptly enlisted the guy from the gun library, & learned as much as I could in a short time... BTW... the 2nd thing that caught my eye was the price... almost all were less money than the cheap Stoeger coach guns I had been looking at...

the gun I finally selected... ( it's on hold until payday )

a top break Husquavarna triple locking action 12 gauge ( 2 locking lugs & a cross bolt Greenier style lock ) double trigger, side lock exposed hammers, rebounding firing pins, extractors instead of ejectors, pistol grip stock, checkering & engraving is very crisp, as is case hardening color... the gun has a ding in the left barrel at 23.5" & the guy in the gun library suggested that the ding was put in the barrel very early in the guns life, as it looked like it had been fired very very little... I was planning on 22" - 24" barrels for the double rifle anyway, so the ding is of little concern to me... everything else on the gun checked out as exceptionally good... the only negitive for my purpose was the friction fit style of fore arm attachment ( but its very tight right now ), rather than the lever lock style...

just as a start, I may enlist my buddy to trim the barrels to the ding, which would give me a functional & very nice 23.5" barrel coach gun, then if I decide to go through with the project, I can continue from there...

I was looking for barrels, & so far, Pac Nor seems like the best option I've found so far, as I can get different twist rates than the standard very slow twist 58 caliber muzzleloader barrels

any thoughts or suggestions as I progress ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; May 7, 2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old May 7, 2009, 07:28 AM   #23
Magnum Wheel Man

after some reseach, I believe this is the gun...

http://www.skydevaaben.com/husqvarna/model51/info.xml

but mine has a little more engraving