The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 25, 2009, 10:21 AM   #1
JesusQueen

Glock 19 vs. XD-m 9mm

Which would you pick and why? Pros and cons. I'm looking for an overall better gun that can do all things well. thanks
Old April 25, 2009, 10:54 AM   #2
RT

I prefer G19, but both are great. Try to rent both and buy the one you shoot better. Also consider the M&P as a 3rd option.
Old April 25, 2009, 10:55 AM   #3
ChileVerde1

I have both and can honestly say, to me, there's not a hair's difference between the two in quality, reliability, etc... Some claim the XD's have better ergonomics and that may be true, but it really comes down to preference.

There also was a time when the XD's were a better deal. I'm not sure if that's still the case, I have not priced them in a while. My XD is one of the first HS-2000 to be imported and i bought it for $200.00 at a show in GA in 1999. Springfield was smart to jump on those babies!!!

Art
Old April 25, 2009, 11:13 AM   #4
longeyes

Buy the one with the available parts and the active aftermarket and the long-proven track record.

You know which one that is.

That's not to say the XD isn't also a good pistol, but if you have to choose only one...
"Ah...what trouble?" ~Jeremiah Johnson
Old April 25, 2009, 12:03 PM   #5
JesusQueen

So far thats pretty much what i expected to hear. Loaclly the XD-m would be $659 and the G19 $539.
Old April 25, 2009, 01:19 PM   #6
brucea4

I believe the one that fits best in your hand! Off course the XDm 9mm has one in the pipe and 19 in the mag.....20 rounds without a reload...
Old April 25, 2009, 02:08 PM   #7
bvmd73

I have both the Glock 19 (actually 19c- compensated but I've had 2 previous G19) and just bought the XDm. I also have the M&P9. Out of all three, I like the M&P9 the best but between the glock and XDm, I'll pick the XDm. In fact, I'm selling my Glock now if anyone is interested in a Glock 19c. Sure, the Glock has a better track record, reliability and aftermarket accessories. And that is why it was such a hard decision to make to sell it. But the grip angle is not right for me as the XDm has a more natural point of aim. Those extra rounds also are appealing and it just looks 'cooler' in 2-tone. But it is a bit more expensive than the Glock. Good thing I got the free mag rebate when it was around.
Old April 25, 2009, 02:13 PM   #8
Sevens

If you are the type to make changes, add or change parts and personalize the pistol, there's a lot more options for the Glock platform.

Glock parts are simple, cheap, and made by a number of different sources. Availability is very good.

If you'd like more "features" as the pistol comes straight from the box, the XD was intended to mimic the Glock but expand on the features. The Glock offers a better loaded chamber indicator (if you like that), an ambi mag release, optional thumb safety, cocking indicator, more slide serrations, etc.

IMO, both are ugly, but the XD takes ugly to a whole new level.

Also IMO, I would rather find a used version of either (both are tough, well-built pistols) and save a little dough than to pay new money for either.
Old April 25, 2009, 02:15 PM   #9
longeyes

I think everyone should own a G19 or G17 as a "survival pistol"--for the reasons mentioned. But the XD and M&P are certainly attractive options today.
"Ah...what trouble?" ~Jeremiah Johnson
Old April 25, 2009, 04:21 PM   #10
HenryTheNoodle

As most have noted, they're both solid, select based on how it fits the hand. The clip size argument is irrelevant, the Glock can be loaded with a 17+2 clip or a 33 round clip if you're expecting a much bigger fight. I have the G17 and am a new shooter using it for target and HD. I couldn't be happier and I know it will fire every time.
Old April 25, 2009, 04:48 PM   #11
Glockeroo

Why do people keep comparing the XD to the Glock? There is no comparison. XD's are mainly for people who want a polymer pistol but refuse to give in to the excellence of the Glock because they talked down on them for so long. Alas, the XD comes along. Looks like the Glock, functions similar to the Glock, and non-Glockers are buying them. But guess what. What's the first gun they compare it to? The Glock.

Stop this nonsense. Get the Glock 19. Don't short change yourself.33
Old April 25, 2009, 04:51 PM   #12
joegator

They are both great guns. I own the Glock 19 and love it but have considered buying the XDm. I just can't justify the extra $200 or more for the XDm two-tone. The track record and availablity of aftermarket parts and accessories for the Glock is also something to consider.

Having said that, rent them both and buy the one that fits you best. They are both going to serve you well.
Old April 25, 2009, 04:57 PM   #13
Kilroy

Glock: double action, good parts availability, wide array of accessories and holsters and pretty decent customer service.

XD: single action, parts not commonly available, slowly growing choice in accessories and holsters, pretty decent customer service.
Old April 25, 2009, 06:11 PM   #14
INMY01TA

I'll take an XDM 9 over the Glock any day.
Old April 26, 2009, 03:01 AM   #15
Dash

i'll go with the xdm, i train and shoot a lot of reloaded lead head ammo. glock firearms does not fit the bill. glocks maybe good defensive guns but very expensive to train with.
Old April 26, 2009, 03:28 AM   #16
cracked91

I'd just go with an XD over a glock any day. But glocks are the ak47 of the handgun world, they all look the same(to me), not fancy, no frills, but they go boom every time you pull the trigger, and never when you dont. I just prefer american made. Glocks have a more proven track record, but I like the look and feel of the XD better
Old April 26, 2009, 03:30 AM   #17
shooter007

They are both great guns. You should shoot whatever gun you feel most safe, comfortable, and have the most confidence with.
Old April 26, 2009, 05:06 AM   #18
Dingoboyx

Do yourself a favor

Get one of each Go on, you know you want to
Old April 26, 2009, 05:18 AM   #19
roman3

Quote:
I just prefer american made.

I'm sorry which gun was that? The XD-M is still made in Croatia is it not?

I would take the Glock 19 over the XD-M also the Glock 19 is a smaller pistol a more accurate comparison is the Glock 17 to the XDM - full size to full size.
Old April 26, 2009, 05:37 AM   #20
CajunBass

I had an XD-9. May wife has a G-19. They're both good guns, to my way of thinking there isn't a dimes worth of difference in them.

I traded the XD off for something I wanted more. Nothing at all wrong with the gun. I had other guns that would do the same job.

My wife wouldn't let me trade off her Glock so we've still got that one.

If I wanted another one, I'd just get the one I got the best deal on. I don't own stock in either company.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 26, 2009, 06:32 AM   #21
RT

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=351138
If you get the XD just make sure the sights are installed correctly.
Old April 26, 2009, 11:50 AM   #22
N.H. Yankee

I vote for the XD, I like the trigger better, grip angle, and from the ones I have owned ( XD40 and XDm40 ) ( Glock 22 and Glock 27 ) the XD's were slightly more accurate in my hands and off the bench. As far as track records, the XD has been around for years and is every bit as reliable. I also sold my Glock 40's due to excess case bulging to the point most once fired brass had to be junked. Full chamber support does make a difference, at least in the 40S&W round it does. I got 2000 once fired brass ( speer and remington ) from a local police dept., only 500 were reloadable and many of those were borderline due to bulging. Google (40S&W full chamber support) and see what comes up. The Glock 9mm's due not seem to be an issue though I have never owned a Glock 9mm.

As far as aftermarket parts, the XD may not have the variety of the Glock, but its getting better all the time. I would not limit my decision to just Glock and XD, there are many other well designed reliable semi's that are reasonable. CZ makes a heck of a gun at a reasonable price and don't overlook the S&W line, one of my carry guns is a SW99 in 40S&W, deadly accurate and 100% reliable, they also come in 9mm and 45. I would steer clear of the 45 though, I had one and the recoil spring wore 1/4 way through after a couple hundred rounds. I think S&W got a little aggresive in marketing as to my knowledge Walther never made the gun in 45acp and I think thats why, not enough room for the barrel and spring in the frame.
Old April 26, 2009, 12:08 PM   #23
brucea4

How do you figure the Glock is more accurate than the XDm? The Springfield comes with a " match barrel "!
Old April 26, 2009, 12:09 PM   #24
Clevinger

I own both the glock 19 and XDM 9mm:

1) The glock's finish is much, much better. The tenifer coating it has is fantastic.

2) The XDM has better ergonomics and is a lot funner (and more comfortable) to shoot.

3) The XDM in two-tone is an absolutely beautiful gun and would win in looks. If they are both black, looks are a tie.

4) The XDM has the better capacity.

5) The Glock is one of the best (if not the best) 9mm for concealed carry. You won't want to try to conceal the larger XDM.

6) Both are very reliable. I've put probably 800 rounds through both of them, and I haven't had a single misfire, jam, or any other problem with either.

7) The XDM has a lifetime warranty, and the glock does not (but I doubt either gun really needs it).

Conclusion? They are both fantastic weapons, but...

1) If you just want it for home defense, I'd go with a XDM 9mm.

2) If you want something that you can carry too then get the glock 19.

Last edited by Clevinger; April 26, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old April 26, 2009, 12:12 PM   #25
Clevinger

Quote:
How do you figure the Glock is more accurate than the XDm? The Springfield comes with a " match barrel "!
I have both, and I'm a lot more accurate with the XDM. It's not really a fair comparison though since the XDM has a longer barrel.