The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old April 21, 2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Hi-PointMan

Hunting dangerous game

I was just wondering if I could go dangerous game hunting in Africa with my Hi-point 45 acp.
I know most people take "big-doubles" but I feel that I am accurate enough with my handgun to take down a rhino at 50 yrds.

I will of course be carrying a spare magazine, loaded with +p 230 grain gold dots, so I am not worried about knockdown power.

Also how do I go about taveling overseas with a firearm?
Old April 21, 2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Given this fellas other thread here.

I'd say we have a prankster on our hands.... I hope.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old April 21, 2009, 12:51 PM   #3
ginshun

.22lr is the only thing I use for cape buffalo anymore. .45 ACP is way too much gun.
Old April 21, 2009, 12:52 PM   #4
Daryl

Quote:
prankster
I'd say so.

Daryl
Old April 21, 2009, 12:53 PM   #5
ar15chase

I would suggest a GAMO break barrel air rifle.
A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
Old April 21, 2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Corbin N.

Why even use a pistol? The guy in 300 killed a charging rhino with only a spear.
Old April 21, 2009, 01:10 PM   #7
eaglesnester

Dangerous Game

Id use my trusty Whamo Slingshot, Hit em in the balls, works every time. Ya cant beat them cats eye marbles for your load.
Old April 21, 2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Wildebees

The Rhino Rally

I honour your abilities sir. Maybe you have measured your .45 solids' penetration say into simple wetpack at 50 yards?

You do that. Then roll the wetpack into your biker's leather jacket and thoroughly wet that too, and make it into the shape of a rhino head to scale - the size as seen at 50 yds. Put it onto the lawn mower and let your son push it sedately along your lawn or shooting range wherever it is you practice. Do not fear hitting him as you are a good shot even under pressure.

But beforehand make a circle the size of your thumb and index finger when the tips meet at the correct position on the side of the head - but be careful you get it right, so ask Google where exactly it must be. Let your son push the mower in a circle while you constantly move inside the circle about 25 yards away to keep the head at ninety degrees and empty the magazine. Then go to the outside of the circle and repeat the practice session.

The only dig out those bullets in the centre of the circle and measure the depth of the hole. If it is more than ten inches call me and we can arrange something - only I can not guarantee there shall be a .375 H&H available as backup, but that's no problem, you shall have a back-up magazine.

Problem is: the chap may want to face you all the time to keep his nose pointed at your scent, and that is why the .375 won't be there.
"Do you not know that all human ills and mean-spiritedness and cowardice arise not from death but from fear of death? Against this therefor fortify yourself....then you shall find that by this alone are men made free."
Old April 21, 2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Para Bellum

save your heritage the cost and jump off a tall building head-on

Quote:
I was just wondering if I could go dangerous game hunting in Africa with my Hi-point 45 acp.
I know most people take "big-doubles" but I feel that I am accurate enough with my handgun to take down a rhino at 50 yrds.

I will of course be carrying a spare magazine, loaded with +p 230 grain gold dots, so I am not worried about knockdown power.

Also how do I go about taveling overseas with a firearm?
I hope by now you have understood everybody's answer: NO WAY. If you still want to do it, save your heritage the cost and jump off a tall building head-on. Same effect, no travel expense. No kidding here.
Old April 21, 2009, 04:00 PM   #10
ar15chase

Hi-Point man seems like a very educated man. If he says he can take a rhino with a hi-point 45 I believe him. I firmly believe he is also capable of taking out an afican elephant, with the 9mm he plans to take diving. Somthing to think about hi-pointman show us the pics when you get back from Africa.
A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
Old April 21, 2009, 04:22 PM   #11
Hirlau

45 acp

Closed Thread