The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 21, 2009, 08:26 AM   #1
freddui2

Concealing a single six

I am looking to take a trip out west this summer to wyoming and wish to conceal a single six with a 9.5 in bl. I thought that a vertical under the coat shoulder holster would be the way to go. Does anyone have a better idea? Does anyone know where I could find a holster for a decent price?
Old April 21, 2009, 08:42 AM   #2
SilentHitz

Dunno if they have one for a long barreled, but they have good prices. I'll look for leather too if you prefer that.
http://www.holsterss.com/servlet/StoreFront

I had a SBH with a 10" barrel, and used a Bianchi X-15 shoulder rig, so they may have one for the Single six as well

http://k5fv.com/

Last edited by SilentHitz; April 21, 2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old April 21, 2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Doyle

Unless you are as tall as Shaq, you are going to have a hard time trying to conceal that 9 1/2" barrel in a shoulder holster. I carry a Blackhawk 7 1/2" in a shoulder holster while hunting and it sticks down to below my belt line.
Old April 21, 2009, 08:53 AM   #4
SilentHitz

True Doyle, that's why I sold the SBH and holster. Impossible to use sitting in a wheelchair, but great for a hunting rig for walkie talkie folks.. Didn't use it for CCW, just comfort for a 10" revolver.

http://k5fv.com/
Old April 22, 2009, 12:00 AM   #5
freddui2

prices

Thanks for the advice. Any idea where I could find a used shoulder rig for ~30 bucks?
Old April 22, 2009, 02:16 AM   #6
Dismantler

First...can you carry concealed legally where you are going?

Next...you are gonna get tired of trying to keep this gun concealed. It's gonna get real old real fast. I'd get a smaller gun. This may be the excuse that you have been looking for to get that Ruger Bearcat.
Old April 22, 2009, 08:47 AM   #7
Singlesix1954

I have a 9.5 inch Single Six. I would not expect to hide it for CCW. I think that the Bearcat idea above is great. As for finding a shoulder rig for it with $30.00 price tag. Good luck. You should do what ever you want, but the point of a "Buntline" 22 is target and varmit. If you do get it hidden well it will be hard to draw in a fight.
Luke 22:36
Single six 1954
Old April 22, 2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Good luck concealing that one and better luck drawing the thing if you ever actually needed it. You'd be better off finding a smaller revolver. If .22lr is your thing, a bearcat would be a good option.
Old April 23, 2009, 06:58 PM   #9
Malamute

My first thoughts were when you said the three words Wyoming, summer, and coat, where exactly will you be, and what month will you be here? Most of the state can be in the 90's to over 100 degrees in summer, unless you are pretty high elevation wise. Wearing a coat may not be practical. And, depending on what you're doing, why conceal it? Out of town is not going to raise any eyebrows to OC unless in a National Park, in town, crime is about as nonexistant as you can imagne.

As has been mentioned, a shorter gun, or cutting yours down, may be more practical than carrying the long one.
Old April 23, 2009, 07:39 PM   #10
freddui2

Thank you

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. Perhaps I will just see if I can borrow my friends Blackhawk.

Tags
holster , single six