The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 20, 2009, 06:54 PM   #1
A-Roe

I need a light weight and low recoil, 9mm, any thoughts?

Im trying to find a 9mm plinking pistol for my dad, and his shoulders not in great shape, so i want to avoid heavy guns, and hard recoil. I think the price point we are looking at is 600 maximum. I figure its going to have to be some sort of polymer gun, and so far the ones i have been eye are the,

Ruger P95, the FNP9, the XD, the CZ SP-01 Phantom, and the Baby Desert eagle.

What do you guys think? any of those a good candidate? or am i missing some model?
Old April 20, 2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Kermit

Recoil & perceived recoil can be a tough subject. I have guns that I find very mild shooters -- like my 92fs & my USP 9 for example. Because they are full size guns, they disperse recoil over a wider area & so they fell like mild shooters to me. Smaller guns tend to feel snapier regardless of caliber & lighter guns tend to magnify the perception as well.
I would recommend either a Browning Hi Power (or a clone) and work out from there. Also rent as many as you can so you can make up your mind
Old April 20, 2009, 07:12 PM   #3
JWT

FNP 9 is relatively light weight and has a light recoil IMO. Would be worth taking a look at to see if it fits your needs. I've found it to be accurate, functions without any failures, light recoil, and affordable.
Old April 20, 2009, 07:14 PM   #4
varoadking

Glock 17...
Old April 20, 2009, 07:15 PM   #5
golfnutrlv

Smith and Wesson M&P full size 9mm. Reliable, light, 17+1 capacity.

Probably the softest shooting polymer 9mm I have tried. Only slightly more recoil than a Sig all metal frame 229.

Pretty good trigger, same pull every time, fits in you price range with room to spare!!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old April 20, 2009, 07:28 PM   #6
CortJestir

Quote:
Smith and Wesson M&P full size 9mm
I agree. Very nice recoil management on the M&P - at least whenever I've shot one. As for others, these are out of your budget, but I think you and your dad would get a kick (or maybe not get a "kick" ) out of shooting an HK P30L or a SIG P226 in 9mm. It's almost like shooting a hot .22lr.

In general though, any full size 9mm would get 'er dun...
Old April 20, 2009, 07:29 PM   #7
czf

The more compact CZ PCR

-----------
P-01

---------
and newer P-07 Duty are much smaller and lighter than the Sp-01.

Just look at my CZ-ZONE for more pics and info on each CZ model.

Both the PCR and P-01 seem to have really light recoil.
Other owners think they are soft-shooting bulls-eye punching machines, as well.
http://cz-gunstuffs.webs.com/
Old April 20, 2009, 07:31 PM   #8
joegator

A Glock 17, Springfield XD, Beretta Storm, and Smith M&P are all lighter than all steel guns with relatively light recoil.
Old April 20, 2009, 07:33 PM   #9
PSP

HK P2000, USP or P30. HK does wonders with recoil.
Old April 20, 2009, 07:34 PM   #10
ISC

Get him a 9mm carbine. A hi point carbine would be perfect for what you're describing.
Old April 20, 2009, 07:34 PM   #11
Samueul

Would not shooting a lower grain round also help? 115gr. ????
Old April 20, 2009, 07:45 PM   #12
oneounceload

A glock's weight is basically all in the slide, so it soaks up recoil fairly well....I also like the H&K P-7 - very easy to shoot and very accurate......

You might also want to consider a 9mm that has a .22 conversion kit - there are several brands that do - to add even less recoil on a regular basis
Old April 20, 2009, 07:45 PM   #13
Beentown71

+1 to try out the Beretta 92fs. There is a lot of options out in your $ range. One fun part is picking it out It is suited for someone with larger hands usually. Grips like a beer can but they are shooters. If he is going to CCW then its not the best option.

A couple of others I recommend is the XD9 and CZ75 line. I have these in my stable and like them all. I shoot the XD best...but each gun is best for different people/reasons. Go shoot them and have fun with your Dad!!!!

Beentown

So you have an idea of what two of the look like:

Beretta 92fs

Springfield XD9

Couldn't find a pic of the CZ so here you go...http://www.cz-usa.com/products_handguns_cz_standard.php

Happy shooting,

Beentown
Old April 20, 2009, 09:07 PM   #14
leibdav1

Just picked up the Sig Pro 2022 9mm, and it's a dream to shoot. Very low recoil, the barrel stays right on target, great gun. Very easy to shoot.
Old April 20, 2009, 10:41 PM   #15
Chuckusaret

I would suggest the XD or S&W M&P
Old April 20, 2009, 10:55 PM   #16
woad_yurt

Lighter weight = heavier recoil. What would bother the shoulder more, holding up a heavier gun or heavier recoil?
Old April 20, 2009, 11:09 PM   #17
Any .45

I'd go with the M&P its higher grip and beaver extension work much better for me, more than my glock 17, but the 17 is also a great gun, you can't go wrong with either. I just prefer the M&P. Plus you can change out the grips, life time warranty, and its from an American Company, keep the money where you live.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old April 20, 2009, 11:34 PM   #18
trigger treat

i'd recommend a ruger p-89 instead of a 95. It has a metal frame instead of a light polymer one which really cuts back on recoil and it's not that much heavier. it's just awkward and difficult to take down, but it's a process which can be learned easily.
Old April 20, 2009, 11:34 PM   #19
rsxr22

hk p2000 series or if you want to spend some more money, the p30, and hk has very low amounts of recoil in their weapons
Old April 20, 2009, 11:35 PM   #20
Dubs

Quote:
Lighter weight = heavier recoil. What would bother the shoulder more, holding up a heavier gun or heavier recoil?
This. It amazes me how many people go for the lightest gun possible then complain about the recoil. We're talking basic laws of momentum here. From what I've heard about the Beretta 92FS, it would suit his needs (heavy and balanced), though I've yet to try one.

edit: oops, skimmed your post. If he can't have heavy or high recoil, you'd be better off just buying whatever and buying low recoil ammo.
Old April 21, 2009, 12:04 AM   #21
Dingoboyx

Glock

9mm.... cheap, reliable, lite weight, nearly indestructible, available
Old April 21, 2009, 07:49 AM   #22
GetYerShells

Everyone seems to be pretty much reccomending the same things. I have tro consure with them. I pretty much consider the Glock 17 to be the lightweight, low recoil, 9mm standard that all other pistols in it's class should have to measure up to. Keep in mind a G17 is a full sized pistol. If you don't want to go with the G17 the XDM from Springfield Armory is another good option but even so I still consider a G17 to be the standard.
Old April 21, 2009, 08:27 AM   #23
spyderdude

The Glock 17 and 19 are lightweight and have light recoil IMO. The Beretta 92/M9 isn't exactly light, but it is a very nice shooting pistol, and the weight soaks up what little recoil the 9mm round has. I think any service sized 9mm pistol from a quality manufacturer would be light on the recoil, but weight may vary depending on polymer, steel, or aluminum frame. The heavier the gun, the less felt recoil.
Old April 21, 2009, 08:40 AM   #24
LanceOregon

A-Roe:

If comfort is as big a concern for your Dad as you mention, then definitely go with the S&W M&P It has absolutely wonderful ergonomics, and is very comfortable to shoot.

Here is a link to a great video from a review on Gunblast.com on the pistol that shows how well the gun handles recoil:

http://www.gunblast.com/images/SW_MP9/MOV-MP9.mpg

And you can find lots of videos of average Joes shooting the S&W M&P 9mm, with impressive results. Checkout these two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlzIp85FN_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXPRDdj9lyU

In this one, two friends shoot their M&P 9mm and Beretta PX4 9mm next to each other. These are two of the best and newest pistols out, and you can judge for yourself which gun is easier to control.

The guy with the stripes on his jacket is shooting the M&P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJWhvnKATBA

And here is a real cool video of a little 13 yr old girl shooting in a USPSA competition, using a S&W M&P 9mm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbWPjlZlDko

Just look at how well and how fast that little girl was able to shoot with the pistol.

Finally, checkout this video about JulieG, one of S&W's Pro shooters ( 9 times USPSA Women's Champion ). It is from an episode of the popular Shooting USA TV show, and features a lot of video of her shooting her M&P 9mm:

http://www.myoutdoortv.com/pdk/web/s...BbfT1oPZrJlr-q

She used to shoot a customized 1911A1 when she was with the US Army's Shooting Team. Then she worked for Glock, and shot the Glock 17 for a long time. But this video has a lot of close-up, real fast paced shooting with the M&P that is most impressive to behold.

Seeing this Shooting USA episode helped sell me on buying the M&P myself. For it also includes a fascinating tour of the S&W factory, showing workers actually manufacturing the M&P.

Old April 21, 2009, 09:16 AM   #25
Alamocdc

Quote:
Just picked up the Sig Pro 2022 9mm, and it's a dream to shoot. Very low recoil, the barrel stays right on target, great gun. Very easy to shoot.
My recommendation as well. Nice weapon, very accurate right out of the box. My wife, daughter and two sons-in-law have them and love them. And they're now under $500 NIB w/two mags from Academy, Cabelas and others.