The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 20, 2009, 12:08 AM   #1
Texas Rifleman

Flat Top AR-15 Scoping with Fixed Front Sight?

I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times but I can't seem to find it on the site. I just bought an AR-15 with a flat top receiver and fixed front sight. I mounted some slightly taller weaver mounts on the flat top rail and scoped a Simmons 4X32. The line of sight of the scope points directly at the fixed front sight (the front sight is right in the way) but when looking through the scope I cannot see the front sight at all (which is good). Also, when looking through the scope, my cheek has to get a little tight against the stock but it's not uncomfortable. Is this setup ok, or will it cause problems? Will I be able to sight the scope in without any problems? Thanks.
Old April 20, 2009, 12:10 AM   #2
Wildalaska

Comfortable check weld?

OK bang away

WildallisgoodAlaska TM
Old April 20, 2009, 12:12 AM   #3
zoomie

You'll be able to sight in just fine. There are "good enough" options and "best" options. You could upgrade your Weaver mounts to something better and alleviate the cheek weld issue, but it probably isn't worth it to you.
Old April 20, 2009, 06:16 AM   #4
Texas Rifleman

...it's probably worth it to get a little higher mounts. It might get a little uncomfortable.
Old April 20, 2009, 07:27 AM   #5
tulsamal

I faced this issue with my RRA M4. Fixed tower front sight. Put an ATN 5x on the flat top using the mounts that came with the scope. I shot it quite a bit at the range with minimal problems. I could see a darkening at the bottom of the scope image where the sight was but it didn't seem significant to me.

But then one day I was out walking my creek and shooting vermin. Standing on a railroad trestle bridge and aiming downward. And some shots I could barely use the scope at all. It seems that the back of the tower was catching the super bright sunlight that day and reflecting it back towards me. I was getting a tremendous amount of glare all over the bottom of the image. I was very unhappy.

Short term solution, I got a riser mount with thumb screws. Attach the scope rings to the riser and then it is quick and easy to put it on or take it off. The extra height seemed to make the tower mostly out of my field of view. I've used it that way (when I wanted to use a scope) for a couple of years but I just recently decided enough was enough. I had my gunsmith remove the fake FS from the muzzle and do a proper threading for a real FS. He removed the tower front sight and replaced it with a Brownell's gas block with a rail on the top and places to put more rails on the sides and bottom. Then I got a Brownell's folding front sight and put it on the new gas block. You fold down that front sight and you can mount the scope just as low as you want with no issues at all. That's the best solution!

Gregg
Old April 20, 2009, 08:09 AM   #6
zoomie

Quote:
...it's probably worth it to get a little higher mounts. It might get a little uncomfortable.
Then look for an ARMS mount or LT-104 or LT-135. It'll put a scope exactly where you need it. (And get a gas block in place of your FSB when you get around to it, like tulsamal said.)
Old April 20, 2009, 08:33 AM   #7
HJ857

Replacing the front sight tower with a gas block sight is a lot easier than it probably seems. I use a 1x4 scope on my flattop and while having the front tower visible was not a huge issue, it was distracting enough that I wanted to change it.

Using this type of sight allows you more height options when mounting the scope since you don't have to worry about getting above the tower.

I really like this sight linked below. It's the same sight as in the photo

http://www.operationparts.com/YHM_YA...p/yhm-9394.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c866_b.jpg (45.6 KB, 303 views)
Old April 20, 2009, 09:11 PM   #8
Blue Duck

Get the Larue one piece 1.93" to center scope mount. They are not cheap, but darn well worth it. The 1.93 higth will put you over the fixed tower sight.

The first Larue quick detach scope mount I bought, was the 1.50 hight. While it works very well with a fold down front sight, it did not get the scope up high enough, to clear the tower sight, and I would see a blur in the lower portion of my scope, which I did not like. I changed the front sight to a fold down model and that solved the problem on that rifle.
Old April 20, 2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I've been back-ordered for a lightweight 20" flat top complete upper with no front sight since last September. If I could get one with a front sight, well, I have a hacksaw, a bench grinder and a black Pentel.
Old April 23, 2009, 07:52 AM   #10
Texas Rifleman

I think I'm gonna go with a riser and lower rings and add on a BUIS.
Old April 23, 2009, 10:27 AM   #11
Alleykat

I'm using a YHM riser on my flattop. If you can't see the front sight, then what's the point of removing it?
Old April 23, 2009, 10:31 AM   #12
Texas Rifleman

I was never planning on removing the front sight.
Old April 23, 2009, 10:39 AM   #13
Alleykat

Some folks do cut off the front sights or replace them with railed gas blocks. I wouldn't go that route, but some do.
Old April 23, 2009, 10:46 AM   #14
Texas Rifleman

I know. I actually like the traditional front sight. If an optic is mounted correctly it never gets in the way and is always there when you need it.
Old April 23, 2009, 11:38 AM   #15
tulsamal

Quote:
replace them with railed gas blocks. I wouldn't go that route, but some do.
That's what I did. My RRA M4 was a post ban style. (It was actually one of the 300 AR-15.com special edition rifles.) It had the original tower type front sight. 16" barrel with a slip on fake muzzle device. It looked like a 14.5" with an A2 FS on it until you looked really closely. Then you realized you could see the barrel through the cuts in the MD. So you did get some flash out of the muzzle with milspec ammo.

My gunsmith was able to get the fake MD off. It had splines on the barrel underneath. So then he turned the splines off and then turned down the end to the proper diameter for a MD. Then threaded it and put on a standard A2 type FS. Since he was doing all of that, we figured it was time to fix the front sight situation as well. So he removed the tower and replaced it with a Brownell's modular gas block. It has a rail on the top and spots where three other rails can be attached. 080-000-382ED. I put an evil bayonet lug on the bottom point. 080-000-439ED.

Then I looked at all of the various railed front sights. I wanted something that would fold down out of the way when I wasn't using it. I wanted serviceable but not necessarily the absolute most high tech one. (Prices go up fast on this stuff.) Browell's is having some BU sights made with their name now. So I got that front sight: 080-000-521ED.

I wanted to be able to attach and remove my sling on the upper easily and quickly so that it could be moved to another upper. I settled on the Daniel Defense model. 100-002-988ED.

So here's the picture of the front of the upper where you can see all this stuff:

My gunsmith took the photo and sent it to me. Once I get the rifle back in my hands, I'll take some more detailed pictures and post a review. Also of the new 6.8 SPC upper that he is building for me at the same time.

Gregg
Old April 23, 2009, 08:36 PM   #16
Texas Rifleman

Here's what the rifle looks like with the Simmons 8-Point 4X32 mounted. Too low? I know it's definately too low for a BUIS. I'll probably need to get a scope rail riser.

Old April 24, 2009, 08:25 AM   #17
Alleykat

Check out the excellent Yankee Hill Machine risers at Cheaper than Dirt. I don't do a lot of business with CTD, but they do have pretty good prices on some items. Also had a promotional discount code for some of my CTD purchases.