The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 18, 2009, 09:35 AM   #1
David.38Spec

SxS shotgun! Barrels off the face?

Hello,

i own a older (70ies) SxS shotgun named and sold by Kettner in Germany!
I guess it was made in Spain!

I lately cleaned it and reassembled it! I noticed a little play in the barrels/action!
But only side to side , not up and down!

I read somewere to put a piece of paper between the breech face and the barrels! I did so and could not pull it out without rip the paper in pieces!

Can someone tell me how bad this is! Maybe it is normal on older SxS or not a problem!
How can this ,if it is a problem be fixed!

I don´t think the gun is worth much so a expensive rebuild is not the way to go!

Thanks so far

Regards

David from Germany
Old April 18, 2009, 10:33 AM   #2
zippy13

Is the play between the barrels and the breech, or in the wood to metal at the forearm? Any play that would compromise the ability of the breech to seal is cause for concern. When the paper doesn't rip when pulled, then you're in trouble.

The fix is fairly routine, the primary pivot pin is replaced by one slightly larger in diameter, then the barrels are fit to the new pin. If the barrels and breech faces are out of square, additional work is required. Another method is to weld additional material to the existing barrel hook and re-fit it to the existing pin.
Old April 18, 2009, 10:38 AM   #3
David.38Spec

Hello,

there is a very little play between the breech and the barrels! The paper rips when i try to pull it out!
Even a very thin plastic foil!
The play is only left to right!
Old April 18, 2009, 10:41 AM   #4
zippy13

I have no way to know if the pin is worn, or if the breech lock isn't fully engaging. Did you notice the play before you cleaned the gun?
Old April 18, 2009, 10:59 AM   #5
David.38Spec

well, i is my "secondary" shotgun! I don´t use it very often! Before i cleaned the gun i never paid attention to this!
Old April 18, 2009, 12:14 PM   #6
zippy13

Not knowing what type of lock you gun has, I'm reluctant to say it's okay. Having someone who's familiar with your gun take a look couldn't hurt. Are you anywhere near a Kettner facility?