The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 15, 2009, 06:32 PM   #1
mickeyfinn

If you own a Marlin Papoose 70PSS, please look at this pic.

Hi,

I've owned this rifle for a few months now and have shot it a lot. I really like this little rifle.

Anyway, if you own one, would you please compare yours to mine (see photo) and tell me if you have a little gap where the barrel nut joins the barrel to the receiver - right where my finger is pointing.

I've taken the rifle apart a few times no for cleaning and I never noticed before that the barrel nut doesn't sit entirely flush with the receiver.

Maybe it's not supposed to but, as I said, I never noticed this before. Does yours have a small gap, maybe 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch there too?

Thanks,

Mike
Old April 18, 2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Brainflex

I haven't got one but from experience I would say that the gap is meant to be there. If the nut tightened up to the receiver there is a chance that the barrel would be loose. The gap allows for any wear in the barrel to receiver fit to be taken up.
Old April 18, 2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Dingoboyx

Brain nailed it I think

If you have been shooting it this way with nou undue effects, it must be how it is supposed to be? Can you download a manual for it? If you are worried, ask the manufacturor or ask a good smith
Old March 9, 2010, 03:55 PM   #4
ivanthehunter

Unfortunately i have two of them a yes they both have this small gap! its a bit bigger on one gun than the other but that prob due to poor tolerances.

Just be careful not to over tighten as its quite easy to upset the delicate retaining pin that secures all current Marlin semi auto 22lr barrels. Once this pin is loosened the gun will ave the aiming ability of a Bren machine gun if used with high or hyper velocity ammo. the hard kick of this ammo cause the barrel to pitch all over the place.. Solution!!! Only apply gentle tightness to the barrel retention screw/bolt or apply a forward pressure point to the barrel which can only be done with a 795 stock..

On the papoose this pin does not retain the barrel but a fifth wheel barrel adaptor, into which the low tolerance machined barrel is fitted..

Its a pity that the boys at marlin weren't force to play with there designs for a few months..

After spending too much time with this poorly designed barrel/receiver union I'm of the opinion that i would have been better off to have spent hard green cash on a Sako quad B/A and bastardizing the stock and butt to create my own take down..

If you have this problem it can be limited by the use of subsonic ammo.. which is the only accurate stuff that any 22lr rifle has ever seen..........FACT

I have also been in to the local gun smith and i have commissioned him to build a custom barrel mount on to which i will fit a scout scope-- hopefully the extra weight will also dampen this unwanted effect but TBH its doubtful that it will be enough to solve the high and hyper barrel kicking issues...but atleast i'll me aim to the correct spot each time!! i have to see if it give any improvment.. I try to post any results i have here!!

I have thought of using a new retaing pin with some grub screws through the receiver housing which will bite into the adaptor and stop unwanted movement..
However even if this is done, there still remains the issue of a sloppy loose feel to the barrel placement within the adaptor.. I am at a loss as to a quick easy solution which eliminates this play and allows for repeatability of barrel placement and hence the reduced need to confirm the zero:barf: