The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 15, 2009, 10:01 AM   #1
rsf

sako m78 .22 hornet

Hi, I'm new to this site, and was hoping to find out some information on the Sako M78 .22 Hornet. I realise that it is an older gun built back in the early 1980's but if there is any information on this gun I would appreciate it.

Thanks very much

RSF
Old April 17, 2009, 07:16 AM   #2
rsf

sako m78

Hi,

It seems that no one on here has any views pro or con on this rifle ? OK Fair enough, then maybe my question should be does anyone know where to go to find information on this rifle ? Again all assistance is very appreciated.

Brgds,

RSF
Old April 17, 2009, 08:03 AM   #3
PetahW

It's most likely that not many have an opinion of the Sako M78 Hornet because not many folks have even heard of them, much less tried/owned one.
They seemed pricey for 1978, only made for awhile, and not widely distributed.
The 80's was also a "tween-times" for Hornet popularity here, so I would also opine that the combination of that with the above were reasons that Sako chambering wasn't very popular in the US.

If you practice your google-fu, using "Sako M78" you will get the Wikipedia history of Sako, which mentions it briefly (since it was a very small blip in the company's past), and a buch more sites that mostly ape the Wikipedia/Sako text.

Old April 17, 2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Sodbuster

rsf

Here's a good source for Sako info. These guys are smart and have been around awhile, but their site has had to move a couple times recently. Misako50 and stonecreek are both very knowledgeable.

http://sakocollectors.lefora.com/headlines/
Old April 19, 2009, 09:35 AM   #5
rsf

Hi,

Thanks guys the information is very Appreciated. I have a Sako .22 LR and it is a great gun, very accurate and a nice gun to look at. I was looking for a small centrefire and thought a sako hornet would do well, especially if it shots as well as the .22LR.

All the best and thaks for the assistance.

RSF
Old April 19, 2009, 12:19 PM   #6
lewwetzel

Wasn't aware Sako made a Hornet, but bet it is/was a good one.
C-Z 527 (or Browning Micro, if you can find one) are great Hornet rifles. Small, fast-handling and great shooting. I was going to upgrade my Savage 40 (another good shooter, but heavier and single-shot) for a C-Z Hornet,but, after comparing ballistics, went for the Remington .221 Fireball cal. for a little more range and killiing power. The only downside is factory ammo availability (and now, thanks to the Great Scare and Ripoff, price.) Some reloading issues, mostly related to the same. The .221, for whatever reason, also seems to produce a loud report for its "size" when fired.
Old April 24, 2009, 08:58 AM   #7
rsf

Yes the good thing about the hornet is the lack of muzzle blast. It is a good short range varmint gun for built up areas where you are not shooting more than 150 to 200 yds.

The CZ 527 is a good gun and one i'll probably get if I can't find the old Sako Finnscout.
Old May 9, 2009, 09:19 AM   #8
realm-aw

Sako 78

My Sako 78 is a fine rifle. Bolt is similar to 22 rimfire design so it is not a high pressure center fire set up. Had to work a while on finding a bullet it liked. The 40VMax will go into an inch at 100 yards for 3 shots. While itis not a long range varminter, it is a pleasent, low recoil, accurate rifle.
Old May 20, 2009, 05:45 PM   #9
rsf

Relam,

Thank you for the information. I am still looking for a sako 22. Hornet, so all input is very appreciated.

RSF
Old March 20, 2010, 07:19 PM   #10
rsf

Sako 22 Hornet

Long delay, but I got it. A Sako P75 .22 Hornet. Sandwiched between the P72 and the M78 was the P75. Great gun. I am now looking for a Sako P72/M78 in .22 lr varmint barrel. Any help appeciated.