The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Starvingboy

Comments before I buy a lee bullet feeder?

I have a Pro-1000, and while it's a bit finicky sometimes, It does everything I need it to without any complaints. I was thinking of picking up a bullet feeder, which should smooth things out quite a bit. Anyone want to throw some opinion my way?
Old April 14, 2009, 10:34 PM   #2
Steviewonder1

Bullet Feeder

Go to www.dillonprecision.com
They have the best progressive loading platforms on the market. Go read and learn. Been to Lee and left.
Old April 15, 2009, 07:23 AM   #3
rwilson452

What are you planning to use it for? the bullet feeder has a problem with heavier bullets like 230 gr 45ACP.

Quote:
I have a Pro-1000, and while it's a bit finicky sometimes, It does everything I need it to without any complaints. I was thinking of picking up a bullet feeder, which should smooth things out quite a bit. Anyone want to throw some opinion my way?
Old April 15, 2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Ricklin

No

I would not recommend the bullet feeder. I like to set the bullet on there myself and visually check the charge each time. Gives me a little more assurance that everything is OK.
Despite the flag wavers for Dillion I find my Pro 1000 also does everything I need it to do. The machine and I make good, accurate, safe ammo.

I saw a post recently that best described operating the machine as Zen. Become one with the machine, I thought that was an apt description.

I have seen the Pro 1000 priced at 139.00 with a set of dies. Cant beat that with a stick!!

Yes it can be finicky, given the Dillion costs several hundred more I can accept that.
Old April 15, 2009, 08:22 AM   #5
Starvingboy

I'll stick with my Pro-1000. Can't afford a dillon, and for $40, my Pro is just fine.

I plan to use it for 9mm and .308, so 160 grain will be the max. I weigh everything after I load it, so I don't do the visual powder check anymore. I messed around with putting a light in and all sort of other gimmicks to check the powder level, in the end, I prefer a quick trip across the scale for every round.

Just wanting some feedback for those who use/have tried it. The dillon guys always wave their blue flag at you, but if I spent that kind of money for a press, I guess I would rationalize it as hard as I could too
Old April 15, 2009, 08:40 AM   #6
ilbob

I have run tens of thousands of rounds through my lee 1000. The biggest issue is keeping the primer feed clean. I have an older model that does not accept the bullet feeder.

I also have a Dillon 650.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old April 15, 2009, 10:31 AM   #7
TK6411

Starvingboy, lol...you hit the nail on the head with the blue kool-aid drinkers waving their blue flag. You asked a simple legitimate question and got that as an answer...just gota wonder. Anyway, the Lee Pro 1000 is a very good press as you have found out and the bullet feeder works well for anything under 230 gr 45 ACP bullets, so you should be fine there. Just make sure to keep everything clean and lubed and you shouldn't have any issues...the bullet feeder works as advertised and its cool to see it in operation.

Jim
Old April 15, 2009, 11:42 AM   #8
Alleykat

The Lee bullet feeder is a worthless p.o.s. Since you have to load the tubes one-bullet-at-a-time, other than the novelty of it, why would you want such a bullet feeder? Besides, they're poorly designed (kind of like the Loadmaster) and the flimsy plastic "fingers" make the design totally worthless.
Old April 15, 2009, 02:10 PM   #9
TK6411

I have and use the Lee Loadmaster with zero problems as well as the Lee Bullet feeder so I strongly disagree that its a POS.

Jim
Old April 15, 2009, 03:49 PM   #10
314EPW

bulet feeder

Use less than 230gr bullets and it's fine.i use 185 gr lswc for my 45 acp.
Ed
Old April 15, 2009, 06:17 PM   #11
rwilson452

Somehow I get the impression Aleykat doesn't like lee products
Old April 15, 2009, 07:39 PM   #12
The_Vigilante

I have a Lee Loadmaster (not the Pro1000). AlleyKat has probably used the Lee Bullet Feeder and has first hand experience. From all of the feedback I have received on the Lee Bullet Feeder, they do fine on the light 9mm bullets-anything heavier, forget about it-because as AlleyKat mentioned the plastic fingers aren't strong enough!!!
Old April 15, 2009, 10:31 PM   #13
Alleykat

I use nothing but Lee dies. Have a lot of experience with the Loadmaster. Don't see how anybody with half-a-brain would think that the Lee bullet feeder ISN'T a p.o.s. Once again!!! You have to load the tube(s) one-bullet-at-a-tiime!!! What's the point?

Pro1000's probably superior to the Loadmaster.
Old April 16, 2009, 10:53 AM   #14
Starvingboy

Alleykat, what do you mean by "One bullet at a time"? I assume it is like the case feeder, load the tube and start cranking. From my point of view that would be much faster than setting each one by hand. I'm curious as to why you see it as a waste of time. Honestly curious, I am trying to spend my few $$ wisely.
Old April 16, 2009, 10:59 AM   #15
TK6411

You have to load the bullet feeder tube one bullet at a time...so what...its not an issue. I have zero problems with using the bullet feeder as long as I don't use anything heavier than 230 gr 45 ACP bullets. I have been using the Loadmaster with the bullet feeder and Case feeders since I got the press without incident.
Old April 16, 2009, 07:27 PM   #16
floydster

Alleycat doesn't know SFFM what he is talking about, he's been knocking Lee from the word go so this just proves he doesn't know much about loading or the hobby. Come back Alley, tell us more!!!
Old April 16, 2009, 07:30 PM   #17
rwilson452

Alleykat doesn't say anything about loading primers into tubes for the dillon one at a time. Ya don't need to do that with a Lee. Well I guess you could shell out a bunch of bucks and get that vibrator thingy for loading primer tubes.
Old April 16, 2009, 11:29 PM   #18
Wrangler5

I've used a Loadmaster since they were first introduced and have had great success with it. But I could NOT get the bullet feeder to work with 9mm 124g FMJ bullets (which is what I load, mostly.) If there were too many bullets in the feed tube there wasn't enough strength in the mechanism to move the bottom one. And the tip would usually catch on the jacket of the one above (solid bottom jacketed bullets were more expensive than what I use.) Then, the gripping fingers would frequently just drop the bullet before it got aligned with the rising case. (I had the impression that it just might work perfectly on something like 148g wadcutters for 38 special, but I don't load much of that so never checked it out.)

I think the bullet feeder is the only Lee product I've just chucked in the trash. All the rest of my Lee equipment has been worth more than its cost - hand press, single stage presses, turret press, priming devices, powder measures and dies. Sometimes quirky, and yes there is some plastic, but for MY money it''s the best way to produce ammunition. All except for the bullet feeder, that is.
Old April 17, 2009, 05:15 AM   #19
AndreaCarrara

Lee Bullet Feeder.

Good Day All,
I have it, multi-tube version for my Pro1K.
It works fine, I just ease the sliding movement of the finger clamp with my left hand.
I use 180gr. flat point lead bullets for .40caliber.
In three years, I had to replace the finger clamp once because it was crushed a bit (my mistake) and did not hold bullets anymore.
Loading the tubes takes 3-5mins, according to my mood, but I find this tool quite useful.
Bye
Old April 17, 2009, 06:55 AM   #20
philbo

I've got 2 Pro's and loaded a lot of rounds over the years with them. Tried the bullet feeder, but decided that I was just as quick setting each bullet by hand with fewer issues. This also forces me look at the case one last as I'm seating the bullet and verify powder charge.
Old April 17, 2009, 10:43 AM   #21
Alleykat

Quote:
Alleykat doesn't say anything about loading primers into tubes for the dillon one at a time. Ya don't need to do that with a Lee. Well I guess you could shell out a bunch of bucks and get that vibrator thingy for loading primer tubes.
The reason Alleykat doesn't say anything about loading primers into tubes for his Dillon one-at-a-time is because that's not how Alleykat loads primers into tubes for his Dillon. Ever hear of the Vibra-Prime?? Takes me 10 seconds to load a tube. Also don't have to worry about cheapass plastic pieces breaking on the Dillon's primer feeding mechanism.

Just for the experience, buy the flimsyass, crappy, el-cheapo Lee bullet feeder and give it a try. It'll be a pretty cheap lesson, if you don't just figure out, from eyeballing the p.o.s. when you take it out of the box, that it's not worth installing.
Old April 25, 2009, 02:34 PM   #22
glokmunkee

newbie to board

Hello all. nice forum and well set up. sorry that my first thread contains my two cents but wow. i have been loading and shooting for a era or two and havent found much that works right out of the box the way I feel it should and have to end up tweaking it some how or another. But to me that is part of the hobby side of it as I am a teaching pro and shooting is more like a job. and I like lee stuff personally and dont care who does or doesnt and think it is pretty immature to be arguing over a brand name. maybe you ought to gold plate it ... anyway

My bullet feed kit was a fluff buy and i wish I had gotten the micro adj charge bar instead as it is of more use, but since i own one, and spent a better part of a sunday morning cussing the instruction makers at Lee; and wanting them fired! ( and still do!) i found that even though I made the mistake of getting the larger length set than my bullet I glued some pennies together until I shimmed up the gap. then installed a magnet and cut a shim of iron stock and polished one side. It gives me the whole range of custom lengtht as I like to mess with casting and swaging wieght and lengths. AND if you can build up a nipple in the center of your shim ( which can be made of plastic the magnet iron combo was a mounting choice but there are many) you can feed the conical base bullets like pmc loads with. You have to steady the fingers a bit and you cannot be heavy handed at all with this rig attached!! the bullet will jerk out every time if you yank the the lever to start the press.

As for your fingers not holding the bullet (yes I agree that a taper design on the fingers or soft alum would have been a better choice but they didnt do that so and the fingers do align the bullet better than your hands ever will once it is set up.)
have you tried wrapping a rubber band around the fingers a couple of times ( experiement with tension by different sizes and wraps of the r/b ) I did that anyway to better steady the bullet during press cycling. I thnk that our disposable society has left us to ready to be at the mercy of the manufacturer and just throwing it away? have you even seen Idiocracy? no wonder our kids think we suck! anyway hopes for the dismall future.
oh and btw.. if anyone has any crappy lee stuff they want to throw away i'll play garbage man and pay the shipping... throw it this way!! HA!

GIMME TH' NANNERZ!

-----------------you never think i will happen
----------------------------------------------then it happens
-----------------be prepared!! Join IDPA

Last edited by glokmunkee; April 25, 2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added thought
Old April 25, 2009, 05:38 PM   #23
totalloser

Welcome to the forum Glock Monkey!

My opinion (without trying it) is that the bullet feeder cannot save time. That's why I don't use one. I like my Loadmaster, and once dialed in it's fast, and was within my budget. Also it was cost effective enough for me to justify it with my shooting needs (wants! ). Not that I'm wearing a red bandanna and posing on a street corner, but I've had good luck with my red machine. Choose your koolaid, I guess!

The way I see it, is the time you spend loading the tubes is basically the time you would be placing the bullet on the case mouth, so It seemed difficult to me to save any time. Plus it would be in the way of your work. Especially since it closes off the left side of the press where you sneak your hand in to fool with things.

But that's the beauty of a forum, there's always another viewpoint. And you can make your own choice once it's all said and done.
Old April 26, 2009, 03:07 PM   #24
glokmunkee

time.

Thanks! Ha! no doubt ....koo-aide. Yeah i didnt really get it to save time and thats a good thing. i dont use the tubes that much. but give lee time and they may come up with a collator. who knows. what they lack in printing material they make up for in innovation, imho. and they free up the bucks for the components!! I have a pro 1000 but use it like a single stage, sort of. I like the way the feedr seats the bullet. loading is about consistancy and accuracy for me. I can buy paper punchers. I build match ammo. and like i said it was a fluff buy so I felt I had to justify the purchase and make it work for me. the adj charge bar would have been a much better way to spend the 25 bucks as the disks dont allow for any work up. heck the 9mm start charge is only .2 g off the ne load in my data sheets 4 my powder; so I dont use the powder drop and still charge them 1 @ a time. But the trade off is that it seems I am constantly at the press and more so when I get a new load of brass or something is always changing. it is wierd. I charge the cases by hand and check end weights and headspace and there are still varients. I think it is my scale is not sensitive enough. I am going to upgrade (upgrayedd... ha) to a .001 gradient. oops babbleing.

GIMME TH' NANNERZ!

-----------------you never think i will happen
----------------------------------------------then it happens
-----------------be prepared!! Join IDPA
Old April 29, 2010, 03:28 PM   #25
Citywaterman

Just reading thru the posts for bullet feeder information. This is an older thread. It's a shame AlleyKat didn't have anything positive to add to the discussion. There's nothing wrong with Lee, makes good dependable ammo. To each his/her own. At least be civil.