The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 11, 2009, 07:11 PM   #1
possumman

Saiga 12 gas-cylinder selector?

Hi, heres a dumb question, but what is the two position gas-cylinder selector?
All I know is the manual says position 1 for 12/76 shells and position 2 for all others. Please help! Thanks
Old April 11, 2009, 07:22 PM   #2
rshanneck2002

one setting allows more gas down the tube or in this case more against the piston in an AK type firearms.usally used when the firearms gets real,real dirty.i have a Sig 556 with the same system,just in 223.
Old April 11, 2009, 07:31 PM   #3
rshanneck2002

they are referring to 2 and 3/4 in 12ga shells as apposed to 3in and 3.5 in shells i believe,which are alittle heavier to eject from the shotgun.ive seen alot of semi autos that have this type system.i dont think the saiga will handle 3.5 in shells though in either 12 or 20 gauge
Old April 11, 2009, 07:38 PM   #4
B. Lahey

I've never had to mess with mine, it cycles everything with the gas selector set on "1", but I guess not every Saiga 12 will. As I understand it, "2" lets more gas into the system to operate the action reliably with light birdshot/target ammunition.
Old April 11, 2009, 07:41 PM   #5
lipadj46

Right at the end of the gas plug are the gas vents. You screw in the plug clockwise it blocks more of the gas vents so you can use heavier loads. Unscrew it to uncover more of the holes and more gas can flow for lighter loads.
Old April 11, 2009, 08:05 PM   #6
possumman

Okay, well I've got one other question then. The manual says screw the retainer all the way in then back it out to the proper select. It has two notches on it, when turning counter clockwise, the first notch to come up is #2 (lighter loads). I have to back it out even more for #1 (heavy loads) I guess my question is won't it allow even more gas the more you back it out? I hope that my question is clear enough.
Old April 12, 2009, 01:12 AM   #7
B. Lahey

I think the more you screw it out, the smaller the gas opening gets.

In = bigger, out = smaller

That's just the way they built it, I guess.
Old April 12, 2009, 12:37 PM   #8
lipadj46

Quote:
I think the more you screw it out, the smaller the gas opening gets.

In = bigger, out = smaller

That's just the way they built it, I guess.
Completely wrong, the more you unscrew the plug the more of the gas vent holes are uncovered therefore more gas is allowed through.
Old April 12, 2009, 12:58 PM   #9
possumman

gas cylinder

After taking the plug out and looking at it it looks like on #2 setting it places the beveled side of plug over the barrel vent, which to me would allow more gas into the cylinder creating more force on gas piston and bolt. Whereas #1 the beveled part of plug is facing up seemingly allowing less gas into cylinder. I hope I finally have a grasp on it now
Old April 12, 2009, 09:26 PM   #10
squeak003

possumman....you are correct 1 turns the bevel to the side only alowing some of the gas to hit the puck 2 allows all of the gas to hit the puck.....1 is for slugs and some buckshot and 2 is for light loads such as bird shot

try running through some bird shot on the number 1 setting and if it cycles then you can shoot slugs, buck, bird, etc without problems.....however if u shoot slugs on the 2 setting it will slam the bolt into the stop and screw your internals up....