The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2009, 06:34 PM   #1
TJG0781

Lee auto disk

Hey folks
I'm setting up a Lee auto disk powder measure. I'm looking to load 45.0 grains (IMR 4064) for a 30-06, 180g bullet. The powder measure gives a formula to convert grains to cc's. (45gr X VMD factor .0745 = Vol. cc 3.3525) which is off the charts provided with the Lee auto disk.
I guess I dont understand the chart that is broken down by powerder manufacturers, that comes with the powerder measure.
Any help toward bringing me out of ignorance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old April 10, 2009, 07:04 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I don't have the chart, but what it's about is that powders all have different bulk density, or a different number of grains per cc of volume, depending on the shape and density of the powder grains. Water weighs one gram per cc, which is 15.432 grains per cc. The factors in the table are meant to adjust that number by the actual bulk density of particular powders. For example, if you have a powder that weighs 0.7 grams per cc, then you need 1/0.7 cc's of that powder to weigh one gram, or 15.432 grains. Basically, you are taking the water weight in grains and dividing it by the powder bulk density to see how many cc's you need for a given number of grains?

Since I don't have the table in hand, I hope the explanation makes it clear what the end result is supposed to be and that this may make the table easier to understand?

For example: Alliant Reloader 7 has a bulk density of 0.89 grams per cc. If you want a charge of 30 grains, 30/15.432=1.944 grams. 1.944 grams/(0.89 grams/cc) = 2.184 cc. So 30 grains needs a 2.184 cc volume, ideally.
NRA Benefactor Member

Last edited by Unclenick; April 10, 2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old April 10, 2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Wrangler5

Based on the instruction sheet, here http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...uct/AD2302.pdf, it looks like the largest charge of 4064 you're going to get out of a disk set is 21.1g with the largest opening, 1.57. Even using the double disk kit you could at most double this to 42.2g (or so - this chart is approximate.)

The Auto Disk is really designed for pistol and small rifle rounds, for which I have found it to be a superb measure. For the larger rifle rounds I believe Lee recommends their Perfect measure, which will throw much larger charges (although I've never taken a liking to my Perfect measure.)
Old April 10, 2009, 07:45 PM   #4
TJG0781

Thanks

Nick, Wrangler........ Thanks
Nick...thanks for the expaination. I was able to follow it.
Wrangler ....thanks for putting me on to the Perfect powder measure.