The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 8, 2009, 08:49 PM   #1
bsbllrooster10

bull barrel vs. reg. barrel (accuracy)

I have a 10/22 and am looking for better accuracy. I've had the gun for about 3 yrs now with about 10k rounds down the pipe. I'm now looking for better accuracy. I have already upgraded the trigger so now comes the barrel. Do I have to get a bull barrel to achieve great accuracy out of my gun or can I get an "upgraded" regular barrel with the same results. The reason i ask is because I don't want to purchase a new barrel and a new stock. If I can get better accuracy out of barrel that will fit the stock I already have what are some good ones to look at?

Thanks
Old April 8, 2009, 09:00 PM   #2
LaBulldog

I just read an article about a gunsmith in College Station, TX who had something to do with developing the Marine sniper rifle. He believes the stock has a lot to do with accuracy. A wooden stock swells and shrinks depending on moisture. A synthetic sock does not. I read that he carves out a wooden stock and creates a fiberglass bed for the receiver and barrel. Supposed this improves accuracy.
Old April 8, 2009, 09:47 PM   #3
hardhit

Your rest needs to be rock solid to shoot good groups,

Get Rim fire Accuracy Gage and sort through your ammo with the gage and im sure your accuracy will improve markedly just by doing that.

A heavy barrel will help, get he heaviest that will fit your stock and have the smith fit it properly this in-conjunction with a Rim fire Accuracy Gage and good target ammo will expose the best accuracy your going to get,

without going to an expensive specialized Anschutz 22 were the barrel can be adjusted in or out to get the bullet in to the lands
Old April 8, 2009, 09:53 PM   #4
Jimro

For the same cost as upgrading stock barrel and paying gunsmith you can buy a new Savage MkII FVT.

http://www.savagearms.com/markiifvt.htm

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old April 8, 2009, 11:11 PM   #5
T.A.Sharps

It all depends on the level of performance you want.

Bull Barrel
Stock
Trigger

The thicker the barrel the more stiff it will be to keep the vibrations lower during a shot. The barrel moves like a tuning fork during a shot, the more slight and consistent that movement is, the more accurate your shot can be.

The thicker barrel also helps to stay cooler longer, which means it will take longer to heat up changing where the group centers, not a huge problem with rimfire.

If you want a new barrel for accuracy, you do not want anything touching it. That can cause the harmonics to change. Heat, and in wooden stocks, moisture, can cause the material to warp or set somewhat differently on the barrel, "touching" the barrel at a different point, which changes the harmonics of it.

A new stock also will greatly help your accuracy, the more naturally you can let your body hold the rifle, the less movement there will be in the rifle from your muscles moving.

You also want a good trigger, the less your hand muscle have to flex, the more steady your shot will be.

Luckily you can find almost anything for the 10/22 anywhere, you can even get "match" barrels right from Cabelas, not sure how good they are though.
Old April 9, 2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Wuz an ad in Shotgun News a few months back for Bo Clerke match-target barrels for 10/22s at something like sixty bucks, maybe seventy. I've been through Clerke's shop; very impresive operation. They turn out some 150 barrels a week in .17, .204 and .22, so his standard barrels are in many a factory gun.
Old April 9, 2009, 09:10 AM   #7
jmr40

There are a lot of factors, and the thickness of the barrel is one of several. Most of the aftermarket barrels have tighter chambers and better tolerances in the rifleing. The heavier barrel adds weight which helps steady the rifle. Going to a better barrel may help improve the accuracy of your rifle, but because of the tighter tolerances it may become a little less reliable. Everything is a tradeoff. There are some target grade barrels out there that are not heavy.
Old April 9, 2009, 10:28 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

It's a .22 LR. A .920" bull barrel does nothing for accuracy.

It's the tighter, polished chamber that helps you out.

A bolt that locks up square to the chamber, and high quality ammunition will have more influence on your accuracy than any other modification you can make to a 10/22. (Assuming the crown isn't damaged.)
Old April 9, 2009, 10:50 AM   #9
lipadj46

Quote:
I just read an article about a gunsmith in College Station, TX who had something to do with developing the Marine sniper rifle. He believes the stock has a lot to do with accuracy. A wooden stock swells and shrinks depending on moisture. A synthetic sock does not. I read that he carves out a wooden stock and creates a fiberglass bed for the receiver and barrel. Supposed this improves accuracy.
Uh.. yeah glass bedding has been around for a reeaally long time now and is very common and does improve accuracy. Also there are different types of bedding materials including, composites like fiberglass and metal. Metal beddings are less susceptible to wear and tear. Ask a military sniper that has to go in by parachute or fast rope what they think of old fashion glass bedding.
Old April 9, 2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Scorch

The profile of a barrel will have little effect on how accurately the rifle shoots. That has more to do with the consistency of the bore and groove diameter, the chamber being concentric to the bore, and the crown being perpendicular to the bore.

There are several aftermarket bull barrels available, and some are better than others. If you are determined to swap out the barrel, I would recommend buying a good quality bull barrel and stock kit. But before you do, test the accuracy of the factory barrel, you may be surprised. Since you have already upgraded the trigger, clean the barrel well, get a box of CCI Green Tag or Federal Gold Match and go to the range for a test. You will probably find your rifle shoots well as is, and that the ammo is at fault for inaccuracy in most cases.
Taylor Machine
Old April 9, 2009, 01:55 PM   #11
thinkingman

The weight of that fat boy way out on the end will definitely subdue the motion that detracts from accuracy.
Forget bedding on a 10/22...the V-block that supports the barrel will need an elevation screw as the aluminum receiver is not strong enough to hold all that weight.
Green Mountain is considered the $/benefit leader.
Some like Clerke also.
Good luck and start reading Rimfirecentral.com
Old April 9, 2009, 01:57 PM   #12
Slamfire

Quote:
I have a 10/22 and am looking for better accuracy. I've had the gun for about 3 yrs now with about 10k rounds down the pipe. I'm now looking for better accuracy. I have already upgraded the trigger so now comes the barrel. Do I have to get a bull barrel to achieve great accuracy out of my gun or can I get an "upgraded" regular barrel with the same results. The reason i ask is because I don't want to purchase a new barrel and a new stock. If I can get better accuracy out of barrel that will fit the stock I already have what are some good ones to look at?
Unless you have one of those target grade 10/22's, replacing the factory barrel with a commerical barrel with a tight chamber is the greatest accuracy improving modification you can make.

I bedded my 10/22, did some other stuff. Then I installed a Volquartsen barrel. What a difference. By pushing on the rim of a cartridge in the factory barrel, you could feel the round move side to side. The chamber was huge. However, once I pushed a cartridge into the Volquartsen barrel, it was so tight that I had to shoot it out.

Match grade rimfire barrels have tight chambers. And of course, the rest of the tube is great.

After I rebarreled the rifle, the groups shrank on all types of ammo, except Stingers, and the match ammo shot into dime sized groups at 50 yards.
Old April 9, 2009, 05:46 PM   #13
hardluk1

I just bought my first ruger 10/22 about two weeks ago and did some simple changes that a friend did to his. First was take the barrel band off, two was to add a vibration band to the barrel to help tune that stock barrel ,third was to simply buy several different brands of ammo and try it out. One more that i have not done but will when i find a extra stock to try it on. The guns owner cut the top of the stock back some what like the pistol was done. Cut from about 1/2 inch from the front bottom of stock back to with in 4 " of the reciever on a angle to where it was set in bedding compoundand that lets the rest of the barrel float. He was at this time shooting a stock barrel and shooting 3/4" 100 yard groups with a stock barrel. He does have a maxed out heavy barrel play gun with a shilen barrel fancy under cut custom stock in 17 something and it does shoot very well but for the cost that dime store chop job 22 as stupid accurate and can ring some 2 " metal disc at 100 to 115 yards all day. Now mine as fun , have only started to learn it but it will shot a 10 shot ,25 yard group small enough that i had to shoot at different spots on the target to be sure it didn't miss. The groups and 50 yards are between 5/8 and 3/4" so a am happy so far. Have a old tasco 2.5 to 10 on it that i found in a box i did not even know i had . Unlike many 22's i have has over the years this one doesn't seem to care what goes in it. Some basic winchester,also there HV some cci mini mags and some fioochi also agulli 1700 fps stuff. Cool little gun. Stock trigger sucks .

Last edited by hardluk1; April 9, 2009 at 05:51 PM.