The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Thread Tools
Old April 6, 2009, 06:31 PM   #1
Gregory Gauvin
Senior Member
Join Date: March 6, 2009
Posts: 265
What happes if I die?

Just curious as to what would happen to any Class 3 weapons or suppressors I own if I died.

If I bought a suppressor and didn't go the Trust route, if I died in 50 years from now would the ATF really remember to come to my house and find where I hid my suppressor?

If I went with a Trust, my wife or trustee would be able to own it?

Is there a yearly cost to maintain a Trust?
Gregory Gauvin is offline  
Old April 6, 2009, 06:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: November 4, 2004
Location: Haslet,Texas(DFW area)
Posts: 1,506
There is no yearly cost to maintain a trust....but every NFA item you own already would have to be transfered into the trust( another $200 an item) if you wanted it to be in the trust....Do make sure they are on your will, if they are not on the you can heir them somebody upon your passing.
Lighten up Francis!.....;Actor Warren Oats, in the movie "Stripes"
p99guy is offline  
Old April 6, 2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: February 22, 2008
Posts: 4,092
I would think that whoever you willed them to would have to immediately apply for the necessary permits to have them transferred over to them.

It would be much better for the person you willed them to,to already have a the permits or payments in (with reciepts) necessary to have the things.

The ATF would'nt track down your stuff,they would jail whoever had that stuff illegally,if the willed to person failed to do the necessary paperwork and got checked out by chance.
B.N.Real is offline  
Old April 6, 2009, 09:56 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs
Senior Member
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Posts: 7,775
There aren't any PERMITS to own NFA weapons!
They can be willed, but must be held by the executor until proper transfer paperwork is processed. I don't believe there is a transfer tax on willed items.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
Bill DeShivs is offline  
Old April 6, 2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Gregory Gauvin
Senior Member
Join Date: March 6, 2009
Posts: 265
How about this reasoning:

If I own an NFA weapon, and I am the only person it is entrusted to, and I store the weapon to where I only have access to it, ie., in a safe, and I die, and do not have the item willed to somebody...would the ATF then come to collect the item?

Will my children/wife be held responsible?

If I do not provide my children access to the item, will the ATF jail them claiming they have illegally taken the weapon?
Gregory Gauvin is offline  
Old April 7, 2009, 04:12 AM   #6
Senior Member
Join Date: July 3, 2007
Location: spring tx
Posts: 1,037
I'll pray for you, come over and collect up all the stuff you won't be using any more, take real good care of them and think of you every time I use them.
chambered and unlocked
imthegrumpyone is offline  
Old April 7, 2009, 09:03 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Join Date: April 13, 2000
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 37,310
Moving to the NFA forum.
"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind" -Theodorus Gaza

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Mike Irwin is offline  
Old April 7, 2009, 11:07 AM   #8
Senior Member
Join Date: December 28, 2008
Posts: 127
I ran into this situation a few years ago while buying a Reising. The guy who had it had found the registered weapon in his fathers gun safe. Father was a collector and had passed away a couple years prior. The son never knew that dad had the SMG which was registered to the dad in 1975. The family started going through the safe gradually selling off items as the father did not leave any instructions in the will. They then found this SMG and were not sure exactly what they had or what to do with it.

In order to buy the weapon, we first had to get his attorney involved and get the weapon legally transfered to the sons possession. That required about a year of paperwork, death certificates, affidavits, letters, phone calls and the ATF registration forms. Once it was registered to the son, I was able to complete my paperwork and buy it from him. All totaled it took about 2 years for me to get the weapon.

Had the father left the weapon to the son as part of the estate, we were told that all that would have been necessary was to do the ATF transfer paperwork and include a copy of the will. As it was, the guy had an unregistered NFA weapon in his possesion and really had no idea of what to do. He was just going to sell it to me like a regular firearm when I first spoke with him. It was a learning experience and I've since indicated in my will what I want done with all my NFA stuff and who I want in charge of making sure it gets done
mskdgunman is offline  
Old April 7, 2009, 11:11 AM   #9
Senior Member
Join Date: March 7, 2009
Location: South East Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,513
Stay alive

Thats the best way
If you cant blind them with brilliance, Baffle them with BS
Be alert...... there is a shortage of LERTs
Dingoboyx is offline  
Old April 7, 2009, 01:36 PM   #10
Senior Member
Join Date: March 7, 2009
Location: South East Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,513
What happens when you die?

Well, you stop breathing, poop yourself and make funny noises, then you go a funny yellow/green/blue/purple color :barf:..... then everyone says what a nice bloke you were, then fights over your stuff.....

especially your guns

What's your address?
If you cant blind them with brilliance, Baffle them with BS
Be alert...... there is a shortage of LERTs
Dingoboyx is offline  
Old April 7, 2009, 05:59 PM   #11
Join Date: January 20, 2009
Location: already given
Posts: 69
Your heir will need to accomplish a timely form five transfer.

Here is the form.

I think the check box for the heir is number three on the left of the form.

There is no transfer tax for the heir, but other things apply. The heir cannot be
a felon conviction etc... and must live in a state that allows this.

You should inform the potential heir of this responsibility, since the
hypothetical case assumes you are no longer around.
highrolls is offline  
Old April 8, 2009, 01:46 PM   #12
James K
Join Date: March 17, 1999
Posts: 21,797
ATF has full instructions, available on their web site ( about NFA transfers as part of an estate.

Jim K
James K is online now  

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2015 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.07664 seconds with 7 queries