The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 5, 2009, 08:01 PM   #1
jakethegreat4

Why cant I get any ammo?

Ive been looking around, and it seems to me that the entirety of northern Colorado's ammunition is wrapped up into one 3x priced box of 30-06 and a bunch of shotgun shells. Why is this so? I have money and they won't even take it! I'm sad. why is this happening?
Old April 5, 2009, 08:18 PM   #2
a7mmnut

Once again--G-R-E-E-D!

Same problem, different people.

-7-
Old April 5, 2009, 08:24 PM   #3
HunterJ

It's an Obamanation. The ammo situation is gonna get lots worse.
Old April 5, 2009, 08:42 PM   #4
jakethegreat4

Well I think that just sucks. Somebody should really do something, like, oh, I don't know, let the ammo companies know they need to get together and actually start producing some ammo? Just an idea there, but I'm just a kid so it really doesn't matter what i think.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:09 PM   #5
bessemerbob

Jake,

calm down. Ammo comps are making tons of the stuff. Most if not all are running over 100% The two major issues are the panic buying and large military contracts. Bottom line is the producers of ammo are maxed out. And until the rumors of Barry Obama taking away our guns dry up its not going to change. I guess in a years time if nothing major happens it might slow up a bit, but right now during income tax season alot of people that use to buy 100rnds at a time are buying 1000rnds at a time.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:20 PM   #6
22-rimfire

Sales of ammo hit in waves. Once folks believed Obama would be president, those that were not so infatuated with BHO started buying guns and ammo. Even in November, Walmarts were often sold out of the more common ammo in my area. Move to January.... we had the inaugeration and firearm and ammo sales skyrocketed due to panic buying. Move to April and you have folks that never even thought about buying any ammo (they voted for BHO) hitting the stores to go out shooting (warming up, ya know), and now many of them have joined the panic.

Unless the price is increased dramatically, ammo will be in short supply until at least summer, maybe longer. Places like Walmart will not have much stock as it will sell within one day of being put on the shelves. Some gun shops have ammo, but you pay for it. Sometimes you pay dearly.

The manufacturers are working at full production. They can produce no more. Buy it when you see it or stop shooting for a while.

At one time I believed things would have leveled out by now. I don't see anything changing for months at places like Walmart. Buy at gun shops or online when it is available.

I don't know what "Greed" has to do with it?
Old April 5, 2009, 09:28 PM   #7
bessemerbob

I think people lately have been interchanging "panic" and "greed". Greed may be the wrong term since it deals more with gluttony or hunger, now the panic or fear of what might come is driving the sales like crazy. Behind nessicity, sex, fear would have to be a top 3 force in sales of almost any item.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:30 PM   #8
jakethegreat4

Well, that helps, if not making me feel any better about it. But if that's the case, then i hope to be able to get some ammo fairly soon, and it's not like I'm really hurting for ammo, it's just that I have 300 rounds of brass laying around with no bullets to put in them or primers to use with them. But thanks guys, I was really getting concerned there for a while about that
Old April 5, 2009, 09:34 PM   #9
bessemerbob

Hey thats what we are here for. its hit or miss anymore, but the big thing is Walmart is going to be a very bad source of ammo for a while. The system they use for buying and the distributing ammo is working against them. So just keep checking watching and those fingers crossed....
Old April 5, 2009, 09:36 PM   #10
jakethegreat4

Yeah, I've been down almost every day in the afternoons, and in two weeks, the Remington super x .30-06 ammo went from 17 to 28 dollars, and I haven't even seen a box of ammo on the shelves in that space of time. Blech.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:40 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Well I think that just sucks. Somebody should really do something, like, oh, I don't know, let the ammo companies know they need to get together and actually start producing some ammo? Just an idea there, but I'm just a kid so it really doesn't matter what i think.
Let me guess: You did zero research on ammo manufacturers, zero research on this site using the search function in the toolbar, and haven't owned any media reception devices such as a television or radio since November 3rd, 2008. So, yep, I'd probably come to the concusion that it doesn't matter what I think if I were in your spot...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 5, 2009, 09:46 PM   #12
levrluvr

I stated this in another thread somewhere, sometime.....

The quantity of factory ammo or reloading components that new or long-established gun-owners thought was enough to have on hand has been completely redefined. With any luck, and barring a drastic change in laws as they stand today, this frenzy may end in about 3 years, 9 months. Given the fact that there are rumors of 'change', the lack of established inventory will at best stay the same, or possibly even get worse in the near future.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:50 PM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Simple: The rate of purchase is greater than the rate of manufacturing and resupply of the stores. Demand rises, supply is constant; therefore, prices rise. That's been a constant for a few thousand years.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:57 PM   #14
ar15chase

We are starting to have the same problem here. I have a little short story for you.....

I was in Wal-Mart a while back looking for handgun ammo, along side another man. When I didnt see any ammo behind the counter I asked the clerk when they would get some more in. He said "we have a shipment in the back if you want to wait for a few minutes." So I was willing. Then the man standing next to me asked me how many boxes I wanted...I told him 2. And then asked him how many he wanted, he stated, "All of it" and then handed me his card. Redneck Resale was his company. What he was doing was going to every place that sells ammo and buying them out, just to go and sell it again for a considerable mark-up. The 9mm I was buying for $15 he was going to sell for $20. Not a bad idea if you are greedy and trying to make a buck. But in my opinion a taste-less thing to do. This makes me angry, what if the nexy guy coming along was wanting to take his son or daughter out shooting for the 1st time and counldn't because some greedy jerk bought all the ammo? I will quit rambling, but I think everyone needs to stop buying everything they can. Its selfish.:barf: I myself have a good stockpile of ammo. But I didnt buy it all at once. I have done it over the years.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:58 PM   #15
Chui

That, Art, and the declining dollar. It does not acquire the same amount of "stuff" it did a decade ago. Therefore, the raw material costs are higher than they used to be. Supply, demand and high commodity prices will keep the insane prices climbing still... Then there are the "false" reports of 500% tax on ammo and the recent spate of shootings which drive the crowds to purchase more as they fear a "ban" of some sort. Of course, our AG made some asinine statements which were "downplayed" by the President and others. Not sure what to think of that...
Old April 5, 2009, 10:04 PM   #16
bessemerbob

No joke somebody told me zombies are moving across the border from Canada, looks like the ammo shortage has no end in sight!

Hey you gotta have a little fun in times like these
Old April 5, 2009, 10:11 PM   #17
rugerfreak

Just bought 2 boxes 100pk 9mm WWB at Walmart tonight----wasn't in the glass case---but under the counter---all you had to do was ask for it.
Old April 5, 2009, 10:27 PM   #18
22-rimfire

I can honestly say that I probably bought a bit more 22LR ammunition than I would normally buy since September 2008. Most of it was Federal Champion 510's at Walmart and Federal Champion 714's from Dicks. Toss in a few bricks from various other sources and I have a fair supply of the common stuff.

I didn't buy it to stock up necessarily due to some impending disaster. I saw prices rising on the common stuff at Walmart and so I figured I'd lock in a bit of a supply at the price at the time. For example, Walmart sold Federal 510's for $1.27/50-ct box (as I recall); price bumped to $1.47. Now I hear of $1.77 pricing. Not so long ago it was $1.07/box. The folks at Rimfire Central pretty much convinced me a few years back that I was skipping some good ammo for Remington stuff (my old standby for 22 for years). Dicks had their stuff for $15.00 per brick. Price bumped to $20/brick last fall and now it's $25/brick. Still a bargain. Last year there were coupons that you could use to buy ammo at Dicks and I tried to take advantage of the net cost when they had stock. This was not greed. It was speculative buying and taking advantage of pricing opportunities for products that I use all the time.

I keep a fairly good cache of 22 rimfire ammunition on hand. I tend to shoot when I feel in the mood and I don't like to have to run to the store to buy some shells prior to shooting.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; April 5, 2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old April 6, 2009, 06:42 AM   #19
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I don't know, let the ammo companies know they need to get together and actually start producing some ammo?
Production isn't the issue, it's hoarding that is the issue.
Old April 6, 2009, 06:59 AM   #20
HOGGHEAD

Timing

A good bit of the ammo shortage(not components) is due to the fact that most dealers do not buy or stock large quantities of ammo this time of the year. Normally this is the "slow time of the year" for ammo sales. So most places got caught with their pants down(this includes the manufacturers). This is the first part of the problem. The second part of the problem is that small dealers are a bit afraid of stocking up "too heavy". Because if and when the prices go back down then they will be stuck with inventory. Normally the small dealers receive large discounts when they purchase their ammo early in the year, however from what I have heard these discounts are not available this year, so the dealers are a bit hesitant---can you blame them?? And when the supply opens back up---it will be like a dam burst, and it will be everywhere.

It is the same as the demand for a new model of firearm. When a manufacturer says a new model is coming out a buyer will call 10 different dealers to see if they have one in stock. So 10 dealers think they have one sold, however the guy calling will only buy one. So he created a demand for 10, but a sale for 1. Just save up a little money and be ready, it will show up.

We are going to be in trouble down the road with Obama. I really do believe that. However it is not imminent. Just have a little patience and quit the panic purchasing, it will all work out. Tom.
Old April 6, 2009, 07:40 AM   #21
bedlamite

The one thing I don't understand is that if everyone has been panic buying since November, why do I see stories like this:

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/...0News/2115990/

http://www.klewtv.com/news/37309514.html
Old April 6, 2009, 08:01 AM   #22
22-rimfire

Those employment cutbacks by ATK (CCI) make no sense to me at all. I would think there is a back log now as well. The only thing that comes to mind is that retailers aren't paying their bills (such as Sportsman Warehouse) and ATK has cut back on deliveries. I heard that Federal (owned by ATK) ammunition was being cut at Walmarts in favor of Winchester. I don't know it there is any truth to that rumor. It also doesn't make sense unless Walmart is pressuring ATK to cut their price and ATK (Federal, Speer, CCI) told them to stuff it.

Walmart contracts are wonderful for manufacturers, but they can in fact put you out of business when you don't see the profit.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; April 6, 2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old April 6, 2009, 09:29 AM   #23
a7mmnut

"I don't know what "Greed" has to do with it?"

As in my other post, 100 million shooters x 1,000 rounds of ammo= 100 BILLION rounds!!! How long would it take to reload that much? I don't know, but if you shoot anything besides the .380, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP, you might find what you need at the smaller shops.

"Just an idea there, but I'm just a kid so it really doesn't matter what i think."

Kids are Americans, too--future important Americans with rights like all citizens of this great country. Patience is always the hardest lesson for youth. I'd like to thank you for caring enough about our sport to chat with us all instead of taking a Pokemon challenge or surfing other sites. It'll work itself out in the end.

-7-
Old April 6, 2009, 02:23 PM   #24
Chui

Quote:
Those employment cutbacks by ATK (CCI) make no sense to me at all. I would think there is a back log now as well. The only thing that comes to mind is that retailers aren't paying their bills (such as Sportsman Warehouse) and ATK has cut back on deliveries. I heard that Federal (owned by ATK) ammunition was being cut at Walmarts in favor of Winchester. I don't know it there is any truth to that rumor. It also doesn't make sense unless Walmart is pressuring ATK to cut their price and ATK (Federal, Speer, CCI) told them to stuff it.

Walmart contracts are wonderful for manufacturers, but they can in fact put you out of business when you don't see the profit.
VERY salient points, my friend. Yet few pay close attention.
Old April 6, 2009, 02:43 PM   #25
kyle1974

the hoarders just want to make sure they have ammo for their guns... me included.... no biggie, once I have a sufficient supply, I'll stop buying it. I'm only trying to get abotu 100 rounds per deer rifle caliber, 1K in .223, and as many .22 mini mags as I can fit in the safe