The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 3, 2009, 01:33 AM   #1
jesus5150

Considering picking up a friends old Scatter gun need opinions

He said it's a western field model 175 made by Remington, and that it was supposed to be around 50 years old. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:48 AM   #2
Scorch

Western Field 175 is a Mossberg 385K. Parts availability will be difficult.
Taylor Machine
Old April 3, 2009, 01:52 AM   #3
jesus5150

Oh man I didn't realise it was a bolt action... That's weird to me. What are the Pro's and Con's of that?
Old April 3, 2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Scorch

Quote:
What are the Pro's and Con's of that?
Well, let's see if I can say this tactfully. It's a cheap 50-year-old shotgun (or would that be a 50-year-old cheap shotgun?) that was clunky and junky 50 years ago, and these things do not get better with age. They were sold as an inexpensive shotgun for beginners, or for the truck, boat, etc. Parts are virtually unavailable. If you want to buy an old Mossberg shotgun, you would do much better buying a Mossberg 500.
Taylor Machine
Old April 3, 2009, 12:49 PM   #5
Waterengineer

Interesting from a historical perspective.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:20 PM   #6
BigJimP

I have a bolt action Western Field - in a 16ga - Full choke. Like others told you they were sold thru stores or catalogs like Montgomery Wards, Gambels, etc.

Mine was a present in the 50's when I was a kid - I think it was used when I got it / but I killed lots of grouse and pheasants with it when I was a kid.

I still have it / its really light - makes it really easy to carry / but being light it kicks more. In decent shape they're worth $ 50 - $ 100 at the most.

A bolt action shotgun isn't really a versatile shotgun / especially these days when you can buy a gun with screw in changeable chokes. A good pump gun ( like a Browning BPS ) in 12ga, with screw in chokes for $ 500 new / or any of the lesser expensive semi-autos Beretta, etc in a 12ga around $1,000 will be a lot more versatile. With screw in chokes / a variety of loads - you can make a 12ga these days perform balistically like a 16, 20 or even a 28ga.
Old April 3, 2009, 03:26 PM   #7
troy_mclure

one of my hunting buddys growing up had a bolt action shot gun that he only fired slugs thru, it killed many a deer.

i think he got it for $35 at a flee market in the early '90s
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 4, 2009, 10:45 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For sentimental reasons I would like a Mossberg .410 bolt gun with the little polychoke. The one stolen in a burglary was my first gun and I was lethal with it. second shot follow ups were possible on rabbit and flying pheasant. I wouldn't use one to replace a pump but they are fun on occasion.
If not shot out, it won't need much repair if taken care of.
Brent