The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 2, 2009, 08:25 AM   #1
Mike215

Slugs through modified and improved chokes.

No one is giving me a straight answer on this one. I mean NOBODY. Is it SAFE to shoot a slug through a modified choke, and an improved cylinder choke. My shotgun is a double barreled stoeger coach gun with removable chokes. I don't care if they will be accurate or not. Is it SAFE. In other words is it going to harm ME, my gun, or anyone near me. Does it have to be any particular slug or can i shoot any slug out of a modified and improved cylinder choke? Thank you in advance.

Mike
Old April 2, 2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Scattergun Bob

Mike214

Sorry for the information problem.

In a scattergun of GOOD working order, slugs in the barrel restrictions you have are NO PROBLEM. Improved cyl is my favorite restriction and shoot slugs very well.

I think your problem will be that of you point of aim not being your point of impact. Before I became a pump gun guy, I tried slugs in my Fox double and found that each barrel shot to a different point. Latter in life I found out that this problem is chronic in double guns.

In my opinion stick with "rifled" slugs, try a variety of them, find the ones that your gun likes. My favorite is RSW/Brenneke, they are a bit more expensive than the standard Winchester/Remington foster types.

Hope this answers your question.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old April 2, 2009, 09:02 AM   #3
.45 COLT

If you are talking about the common Foster (Rifled) slug, yes. The Foster slug is a hollow-base and is full-bore size at the rear, plenty of room to swage down to choke size. The slugs are soft lead, easily deformed. The rifling also makes room for swaging.

DC
Old April 2, 2009, 09:21 AM   #4
Scattergun Bob

45 Colt

Quote:
common Foster (Rifled) slug
So is there an un-common foster type slug?
Old April 2, 2009, 09:40 AM   #5
.45 COLT

Actually, yes. The LEE is a Foster -type, but the sides are parallel (pretty much, anyhow), not tapered like the factory slugs. It's not full boresize, made to use a shotcup. That out of the way, what I really meant was the type commonly sold as rifled slugs.

DC
Old April 2, 2009, 09:46 AM   #6
Mike215

So in other words it IS safe to shoot? I won't harm myself or the gun in ANY WAY?
Old April 2, 2009, 09:48 AM   #7
Swampghost

I've been running Foster type through my old Stevens 30" bbl. SBS, modified and full for 45 yrs. No problems yet.
Old April 2, 2009, 10:02 AM   #8
Rob Pincus

You're not going to get (nor should you trust) any "100% definitive" answer on the internet... there are too many variables... your gun, the round, the choke, etc....

Personally, I can tell you that the best shooting shotgun/ammo combo I've ever used... and have used successfully several times in a Shotgun Only state... is a Remington 870 with a full choke and Activ slugs. Shoots them great.

-RJP
Old April 2, 2009, 10:35 AM   #9
Mike215

Thank you all for your straight forward honest answers. Greatly appreciated!
Old April 4, 2009, 03:15 PM   #10
James R. Burke

Scattergun Bob has it write. I like the I.C. for slugs but both will work just fine.
Old April 4, 2009, 03:46 PM   #11
Ricky B

Quote:
is it going to harm ME, my gun, or anyone near me.
Well, if someone near you is in front of muzzle, he will find it most unpleasant.

But otherwise, IC and mod are common choices for rifled slugs. Safety is not an issue in choosing the choke.

Slugs with sabots are also safe, but you'll be wasting your money since they won't shoot accurately in a smoothbored barrel.
Old April 4, 2009, 06:29 PM   #12
armsmaster270

"Quote Ricky B;"
Slugs with sabots are also safe, but you'll be wasting your money since they won't shoot accurately in a smoothbored barrel.

But they will hurt like hell if they hit sideways
Old April 4, 2009, 07:00 PM   #13
OLNfan

I wouldnt worry about it improved and modofied should be just fine to shoot slugs through. espically if its a new gun! I wouldnt worry about it at all. I have all improved or rifled shotgun barrels and I shoot slugs from both of them all the time no harm done to them. (In Canada B.C. we dont have any of those sabot slugs (dont suggest using those) or what ever I hear people talking about we just have regular winchester,remington,federal slugs those will work just fine and are very safe to shoot through your gun.
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."

Last edited by OLNfan; April 4, 2009 at 07:05 PM.