The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 1, 2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Giangrecojason

who makes the best .357 mag carbine?

I am looking for the most accurate/reliable/easy to maintain .357 mag carbine. Any suggestions?
Old April 1, 2009, 01:21 PM   #2
rantingredneck

Though I don't presently own one I'd venture Marlin.

I'd certainly love to have one in stainless.........

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old April 1, 2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Rifleman 173

Here's a couple of good lever action saddle carbines to consider. I have a Marlin in .44 magnum that I just love. These are nice saddle carbines and make a good match with some revolvers.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...894_45Colt.asp

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...fire/1894C.asp
Old April 1, 2009, 01:27 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In new construction I would say ONLY Marlin gets my nod... No imports for me and Mossberg just doesn't seem to be up to par. I haven't handled the mossberg as my local dealer refuses to stock them as the few he handled were very SUB-PAR in fit, finish and general "feel"...
Brent
Old April 1, 2009, 02:45 PM   #5
OLNfan

Puma, and marlin firearms. I own marlin firearms Love em, Iv never herd anything wrong with puma firearms and have always wanted to get a pistol cartirdge puma lever, their sleek good looking guns but I know no one who has one unforutnaly.
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."
Old April 1, 2009, 02:54 PM   #6
ohen cepel

My vote (and money) go to Marlin. If you get one spent the $40 for a Williams receiver sight, great upgrade for a little money!

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old April 1, 2009, 04:54 PM   #7
L_Killkenny

If you want a scope, get the Marlin. If you don't get a mod 92 clone. The 92 action is considered one of the best actions for pistol caliber lever guns and handles great, feels small and becomes an extention of your arm. 99% of the lever guns in movies were 92's.

In truth, I don't think you can go wrong with either and I hear great things about both. Differences are small but the 92 is the smaller, lighter feeling gun.
Old April 1, 2009, 06:10 PM   #8
sholling

I've been wondering the same thing. What's held me back is is the infamous Marlin Jam. I've read that it's easily fixable, I just don't think a customer should have to deal with a known problem that the factory should have cured by now. Especially one that can get them killed in an emergency. Does anyone know if this have been cured once and for all? I'm of the camp that if I can't 100% rely on it out of the box without modification then I don't want it.

I'll watch this thread for a bit and see what develops.
Old April 1, 2009, 06:22 PM   #9
wdelack

I have one of the LTD stainless steel models. Granted I have only put about 400 rounds through it, I have not experienced any jams. This has been a combination of both 38 special and .357 mag and all were hand loads. I will note the rifle will occasionally hang on feeding semi wadcutter shaped bullets, but only if I am working the action a little too slowly. If I work the lever down and back up the semi wadcutter round will feed right in.

It's an excellent little carbine .
Old April 1, 2009, 08:36 PM   #10
kymasabe

Simple answer: Marlin. No need to look any farther.
Old April 1, 2009, 10:07 PM   #11
stormspotter

I'm shocked, shocked mind you. No one has said Browning B92 in 357.

I have that I will soon be selling, old eyes don't see the front sight clearly, so I'm getting something with a red dot.

Seriously though, I think the Browning B92 was the best lever 357 made.
Old April 1, 2009, 10:28 PM   #12
kraigwy

I have a Marlin '94 in 38/357.

I dont know if its the best as I havent tried many of the others, but I sure like it. Accurate and fun to shoot.

I have a Remington Model 62 Pump Gun, in 25-20. I think if someone was to make this rifle in 38/357 it'd be the cats meow. Its accurate and faster then the lever.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 1, 2009, 11:15 PM   #13
kbuck

I've got a marlin Cowboy in 45 colt. Love it.
For what it's worth, google "captain baylors ranger camp" and read what he has to say about lever guns for competition.
Old April 2, 2009, 04:27 AM   #14
JackoP

All Lever Action rifles are imports down here so no national loyalty . I LOVE my Rossi model 92 in .357 mag , smooth , accurate and fast handling . A drawback is the barrel must be cleaned from the muzzle but I have adapted to this well and its no chore . Do you want a scope , if so go for the Marlin . I have a dovetail mounted peep on my Rossi and highly recommend a peep sight on any leveraction rifle for reliability and ruggedness . A takedown feature and stainless steel would make for a more easily maintained firearm but in my veiw are not worth the extra cash if good maintenance and care is observed .

regards JackoP
Old April 2, 2009, 05:38 AM   #15
ATW525

Marlin if you want a scope or a gun based on the Winchester 92 action (the Puma being the most widely available) if you don't.
Old April 2, 2009, 06:46 AM   #16
hodaka

I own a Marlin, which is a fine rifle, but a .357 carbine that I've always wanted was made by IMI and called a Timberwolf. They are a pump action and seem very practical. Your see them now and them and they collect a premium.
Old April 2, 2009, 07:58 AM   #17
youngoilguy

i just ordered the marlin 1894 c (checkered).

so i'd say thats my vote

i did a lot of research and all points to marlin. i would have liked a winchester just for the name, but i couldn't find one (obviously).

i also am a little nervous of the marlin jam but i do own 2 other marlins and have had zero problems.

especially now that remington owns marlin they would certianly get my vote.
Old April 2, 2009, 08:00 AM   #18
johnwilliamson062

I wish marlin made it in stainless. Last time i saw one of the limited run they made on gun broker it sold for $1700
Old April 2, 2009, 06:18 PM   #19
wdelack

Quote:
Last time i saw one of the limited run they made on gun broker it sold for $1700

Almost made me think for a short bit about selling mine.
Old April 2, 2009, 06:39 PM   #20
ATW525

Quote:
I wish marlin made it in stainless. Last time i saw one of the limited run they made on gun broker it sold for $1700
$1700!! For that kind of money I could bring home three brand new Rossi M92s in stainless steel and still have change left over.
Old April 2, 2009, 07:06 PM   #21
L_Killkenny

Stormspotter, I mentioned 92 clones which your 92 would fit

Let me know when you decide to sell the browning. I've been wanting a .357 92 for awhile. Drop me a PM.
Old April 2, 2009, 07:10 PM   #22
paul s

I have always found pistol caliber rifles/carbines to be down right useless, No range and underpowered for the same size package you can have a rifle caliber?
Old April 2, 2009, 08:34 PM   #23
ATW525

Quote:
I have always found pistol caliber rifles/carbines to be down right useless, No range and underpowered for the same size package you can have a rifle caliber?
.357 Magnum out of a carbine barrel has energy similiar to 5.56mm at the muzzle and makes a bigger hole. Buffalo Bore even offers loads that will compete with .30-30 loadings. While they lack the effective range of a real rifle cartridge, they have plenty of power for the kind of close up work that an iron sighted lever action carbine can be reasonably expected to do.
Old April 2, 2009, 08:41 PM   #24
bobn

paul, the reason i like pistol powered carbines is lack of noise. no crack or boom. more like a hood being slammed shut etc. it means i can shoot in a semi rural area such as my ten acre residence. the crack of even a 223 gets noticed. just thought i would explain it a little, bobn
Old April 2, 2009, 09:22 PM   #25
458winshooter

357 Carbines

Love my Puma.20 inch barrel and no safety.I bought it new about 15 years or so ago and if I thought I could do better it would have been gone long ago.I don't have a thing against Marlin,I have one in 45-70.But the little Puma shoots great and looks good side by side in the gun case next to the Marlin.I hope to use it this fall on either deer or boar.