The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 31, 2009, 12:17 AM   #1
OLNfan

This just ticks me off video

-----------...........,,,,,,,,,,,,00000000--------------- video gone discussion ended
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."

Last edited by OLNfan; March 31, 2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old March 31, 2009, 12:43 AM   #2
Hirlau

I agree 100%. This is not hunting. Wonder if they had cable TV in the stand to keep them busy, waiting for Boo-Boo to arrive?
Old March 31, 2009, 12:45 AM   #3
stonedog406

Doesn't look like much of a "hunt" to me.
Old March 31, 2009, 12:57 AM   #4
OLNfan

thanks guys Im glad you guys agree! I meen theirs alot of forms of hunting. but this isnt one.
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."
Old March 31, 2009, 12:59 AM   #5
stonedog406

Looks more like a "gopher" hunt to me!
Old March 31, 2009, 01:01 AM   #6
fireaway329

no sport left for most poeple

i total agree that is not any form of hunting it makes me sick to my stomach why are the parents teaching kids this is how you hunt it is like going to the fish hatchery to go fishing any moron can do that all i can say there is something wrong with poeple
Old March 31, 2009, 01:06 AM   #7
OLNfan

It is sick isnt it. All I can hope for is a mama bear catches whats going on while her cubs by the barrels, straight charge at those "hunters" see how quick that kid is while he's sitting in his chair with his bi pod.
Old March 31, 2009, 01:19 AM   #8
flippycat

wow just pitiful imo. I was kinda hoping that last large $hitty shot sob who had to shoot it 6 times was mauled by another bear in the area on his way over to finally put it down.

I feel the same way about food baiting any game animal in. If you do not have the skills to track a run, look for a rub or know where they naturally feed and know where to put your stand then you have no business in the woods.

This style of killing is strictly about money to the outfitter and an ego boost to the shooter and nothing to do with hunting.
Old March 31, 2009, 01:34 AM   #9
OLNfan

I havnt watched passed the first 1min and 40 seconds, got me to angry. glad to hear your against it aswell. I agree 100% with your hunting tatics/knowledge their the same as mine.
Old March 31, 2009, 07:46 AM   #10
Shorthair

None of you people have hunted or have a clue about hunting bears over bait in Canada, apparently. To me, you all sound like a bunch of birkenstock-wearing organic-arugula-munching PETA freaks.
I have no desire whatsoever to hunt in this fashion, none at all. The very idea of hunting bears has no appeal to me at all. But this is legal, and a traditionally accepted practice not only in Canada but in my home state of Michigan as well. All of you with wildlife biology degrees, please state your scientific reason for the superiority of your position. Tell us why this is an unacceptable wildlife management tool. All of you lawyers, please tell us what laws were violated and what legal remedy you propose to alleviate Yogi Bear of this immoral practice.
If any of you hunt, there are going to be people who criticize your methods, your game of choice. They want to rob you of YOUR chosen methods. "You bird hunters waste hundreds of dollars traipsing through the bird's habitat in order to satisfy your blood lust." "You whitetail hunters who hunt over bait or crops or scent or deer crack, well its obvious you are compensating for the inadequacies you suffer below your beer belly."
I think its appropriate that watching something die - anything - makes us uncomfortable. I hunt and the worst part of it for me is the kill, and I hate the sit-com hunting shows on Versus and OLN on Saturday mornings that glorify the kill shot and not much else. That gives me no right to pontificate my righteous indignation simply because I disagree with people legally practicing the methods of sound game management as dictated by the game management authorities in their hunting area.
Old March 31, 2009, 08:11 AM   #11
12GaugeShuggoth

As much as I detest baiting any game (that's a point to be made at another time), I am inclined to agree with Shorthair on this. Just because I don't like something doesn't necessarily mean I'm right or that the other person is wrong, it just means we see things differently. If I lived in a high bear area I might see things differently, but as it is I don't.

FWIW, I didn't watch more than 45 or so seconds, that was all I needed to see to form a pretty good guess about how the rest of the video would be. Everybody has their own way of going about things, there's always going to be someone out there who disagrees.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old March 31, 2009, 08:20 AM   #12
Dingoboyx

No wonder the anti's dont like us hunters

They probably think we are all rrr's holes like them. I bet they are so proud to call themselves BEAR HUNTERS :barf:

I have posted this pic to show you guys how those idiots pass their spare time.... while not out bravely hunting bears.....

Muzza
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headup.jpg (169.1 KB, 83 views)
Old March 31, 2009, 08:28 AM   #13
Shorthair

Hey Dingo.... what do you hunt in Australia, and how do you hunt it?
Old March 31, 2009, 08:41 AM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My qualms with this method of "control" is that is named "HUNTING" when in actuality it is sittin' and shootin'. And the suckers gotta shell out some serious Benjamins to do it! Call a spade a spade fer cryin' out loud. That is all I ask. Nuisance wildlife control! I don't care if they are snared and hung by a rear leg until starved to death just don't call it huntin'!
I did paid pest control of the bugs and rodent variety for years and never once had some one offer to pay me to take them "hunting". I also would never expect some one to drive 10 hours to come here just to walk up to a trap with a hog in it and call that hunting.
I have an open offer to those wanting to try hog doggin' and can at times get permission from the farmer/landowner to allow me to take a select few into their swamps for a try with firearms. Those are hunts in their purest forms and many folks will charge someone for this and many are willing to pay for it. I rather not go "pro guide" nor do I want to make it a business transaction as I rather it be just a redneck guy sharing a different style of hunt on a different critter in a different environment. I do accept tips though
Brent
Old March 31, 2009, 08:43 AM   #15
Dingoboyx

We hunt pigs, deer and roos

we do it the normal way, we stalk the deer (in season) Hunt the hogs on foot or on bikes and shoot the roos when farmers ask us to. Also foxes and rabbits of course. Some farmers bait roos, foxes and rabbits, but they die a terrible long death.... Well placed bullets are much more humane.
No one I know lures them with food, and shoots them from the safety of a treehouse....

The last couple of roo shoots I have been on, was a terrible sight.... the farmer had only 25% of the steers he usually keeps, because the roos had eaten the grass (roots and all, as they do) and the roos were starving too, was awful
Old March 31, 2009, 08:45 AM   #16
Dustin0

Canned hunts like that are just wrong. They might as well be shooting live stock. Its about the same thing.
Old March 31, 2009, 08:46 AM   #17
elkman06

It's decided I guess. All of you eastern hunters who have spent thousands of dollars managing food plots, setting up feeders, salt licks and what nought are now no longer hunters and must stop immediately because you are giving the rest of us guys a bad name. This is not hunting, it is baiting and the birkenstock boys demand it. They also will no longer hunt out of blinds, etc.

Face it guys, it's just like hunting hogs w/ dogs. It does not appeal to me but there is some rich history in doing these types of hunts. I once saw a filmed hunt out of the southeast involving dogs and at the last moment a celebrity stepped up to a cornered hog and blasted him w/ a .45. It did not present itself to an anti as an honorable means to hunt. It is their right and legal to do so. Some of you need to quit dealing in absolutes,,your life will be better for it.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old March 31, 2009, 08:57 AM   #18
Dingoboyx

Each to their own, I guess. I think it must be as exciting as clubbing baby seals, I just wish I hadnt looked at the video..... ruined my day

My opinion only, like I said, each to their own

Muzza
Old March 31, 2009, 09:07 AM   #19
12GaugeShuggoth

Quote:
All of you eastern hunters who have spent thousands of dollars managing food plots, setting up feeders, salt licks and what nought are now no longer hunters and must stop immediately because you are giving the rest of us guys a bad name.
I am an eastern hunter and do none of that. The only food plots we have were only planted because the fields that had in years past given a lot of food to the local wildlife haven't been utilized for crops during this past year, and for the record quite a large portion of our "food plots" are really just large gardens that we've planted. Deer can tear up a turnip patch

I also don't hunt out of blinds, or big box tree stands. IF I'm in a tree stand it's just a simple climber, but most of my hunting is done on the ground, stalking through the woods. I know you were just trying to prove a point, but I had to respond for the fun of it.

Like I said in my previous post, everyone has a different way of doing things and there's always going to be someone who disagrees with it. I don't care for long range rifle hunting, but I understand that there are places where that's pretty much the only viable way of hunting a deer. I despise the local hunt clubs who run dogs because the people are a$$holes who have no respect for other hunters, private property, or even their own dogs but I know that there are dog runners who are the opposite of that. Listening to people up here like Hogdogs always reminds me that not all dog runners are jerks who aim guns at you while trespassing on private property (true story).

I think everyone has to deal with it eventually, not everyone is going to agree about how things should be done. I can't stand baiting of any kind, but that doesn't change the fact that it's perfectly legal in some places and is an accepted form of hunting.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old March 31, 2009, 09:18 AM   #20
djohn

Guys My hunting experience is pretty much Zilch, just not my thing I guess but that video just urks me.Where is the sportsmanship in that hunt and IMO that should be illegal.Like I said Zilch Hunting experience but something seriously wrong with that example of Hunting.
Old March 31, 2009, 09:25 AM   #21
elkman06

Quote:
hunting is done on the ground, stalking through the woods
Me too.

Quote:
but I had to respond for the fun of it.
And once again, Me too.

Nope: to each his own. I have a friend who runs lions w/ dogs. Exciting to say the least, just not my bag. He's offered countless times to take me. Although I haven't, I would take a bear over bait. Once you have faced a 500lb bear on the ground w/o a rifle, you understand the need for extreme advantage over these critters.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"

Last edited by elkman06; March 31, 2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old March 31, 2009, 09:46 AM   #22
Dingoboyx

True, well put Djohn

When I hunt, I go where they go.... I go dressed up like a pine tree or a shrub or something (apart from roos, but when they are starving, it is terrible to see.... they are going to turn up their toes soon anyway) Sure, we track them (deer, pigs, goats) and find their watering holes etc, but we HUNT them, fair and square. IMO it is very rewarding.

One mate of mine went on a roo shoot for a farmer (one of the ones I mentioned earlier) they were just coming out of a drought, the roos were eating anything they planted and were still starving, the farmer asked for help. Ted and a few of the guys obliged, went to his farm near lightening ridge. The rules were, leave them where they drop, but dont leave any on the road thru the property, & shoot as many as you can. Ted took his trusty 223 and 1000 rounds. The roos had never seen people and it turned into a bit of a shooting gallery. Ted, a keen hunter, wasnt impressed with this, but to do the farmer a favour, he did the shoot anyway. after 2 days, ted had used up his 1000 rounds and was real mad.... he missed with one round
The other guys bagged a couple of hundred. On the way back to the farm house, they moved any off the road. The farmer was grateful, asked how many they got. Ted said he got 999 and the others 200 or so, the farmer laughed aparently he thought they were exagerating. A week later the farmer rang and was saying he couldnt believe what he saw. He had been up and down the road a dozen times and didnt see a dead roo, til he parked and walked up & over the embankment and saw what he described as
"a scene of utter distruction" he reckoned it looked like WW111, carcases everywhere. Certainly was greatful (stunned) to get rid of so many.

Ted didnt find it sporting to shoot the roos like that, so I can understand the bear shooters taking the easy way and attracting them with food and just nailing them one after the other, but I guess, like Ted, you just have to do what you have to do to get rid of pests

I'll stick to dressing up like a bush and going after them, but thats just me and my humble opinion

Muzza
Old March 31, 2009, 10:03 AM   #23
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Try bear hunting in the Adirondack mountains. Baiting is illegal but it's how most bear get taken. They are spread far and wide, few are seen unless they are baited. I have no ethical problem with baiting but I won't go because it's illegal. The law is the law.

I find it interesting how the presence of the barrel seems to be the deciding factor.

People "bait" deer and turkey and pigs and other animals all the time. It's just that they generally throw the "bait" on the ground.

I guess that's OK, just don't put it in a barrel?
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old March 31, 2009, 10:22 AM   #24
flippycat

Shorthair's, one might think someone hung you by yours the way you went off on your name calling defending spree on anyone who thought the video was not about hunting and shooting fish in a barrel for lack of a better expression.

NOBODY said anything about legal this or legal that, yet your tyrant explosion attacking people personally leads me to a conclusion that regardless on what you may say I feel this maybe one of your preferred "hunting" methods.It would be the only reason imo you went to such personal attacks.

There is a few of you who are retaliating back on this topic standing on the legal soapbox shouting insults at those that disagree on these tactics.

I will repeat it again NOBODY said anything about legal this or legal that.

It is understood it is legal in some places, there is no disputing that.As someone who hunted for many years it is a responsible hunters duty to know the different tactics involved in game harvesting.

This is not about "absolutes" as it was stated. It is about how some were taught about hunting and the needs in doing so, requiring you to know enough about the animal to harvest it in its natural environment. It is taught as a sign of respect for the animal and what it is offering, that it will in turn feed you and your family. I guess you could say the old school values of hunting.

There is a HUGE difference in sport hunters and game hunters! No one is going to argue that, no one is going to argue the legality of it at least me anyways as in this case it is legal to do so.

But do not throw personal insults to justify those tactics because there is some who do not agree that it is "hunting".
Old March 31, 2009, 10:32 AM   #25
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Hunting over bait has been done for forty forevers. It's just one among many formats.

Just because you--generic you--don't approve of something creates no right to raise a ruckus over how somebody else does within their local hunting culture and style.

The bottom line: If you don't like that style, don't do it.