The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 30, 2009, 01:31 AM   #1
Sixer

Front sight on a sawed off barrel?

Hey guys, I recently bought a shotgun with a sawed off barrel. It's approx. 20 inches and will be mainly a HD gun. I'll probably end up buying another barrel for skeet or hunting... but for now I would at least like some kind of sights on my shotgun. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old March 30, 2009, 01:48 AM   #2
Invalid Zero

Duct tape + lazer pointer = win.
Old March 30, 2009, 01:54 AM   #3
Slopemeno

OR you swing by the gunsmith and have him install a new bead.
Old March 30, 2009, 02:08 AM   #4
Sixer

Both good options Honestly, I'm leaning towards the duct tape and laser...

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old March 30, 2009, 03:19 AM   #5
rem870hunter

Quote:
Duct tape + lazer pointer = win.
nice, i think i'm gonna try that myself. anyways get to a gunsmith and have them install a bead on the barrel.
Old March 30, 2009, 06:18 AM   #6
wnycollector

This will work fine for you. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=420481

I have one on my maverick 88...but mine has a bead for a small notch to slide into. I dont think the notch helps much to keep the sight on, it just allows you to line things up.
Old March 30, 2009, 08:49 AM   #7
jmr40

If it has a vent rib use one of the fiberoptic sights that clamp on the rib. Better than new.
Old March 30, 2009, 06:03 PM   #8
oneounceload

POINT the gun and you don't need anything at all
Old March 30, 2009, 06:15 PM   #9
scorpion_tyr

If it has a smooth barrel follow wnycollector's advice. I have one on one of my 12 gauges. Works great. Since you don't have a bead, be very careful when you line it up. It may move so check it often.

If it has a rib, follow jmr40's advise. I also have a set of turkey sights on my ribbed 870 barrel. They work great and I like the fact that they're set up just like my 3 dot handgun sights.

You can always take it to a gunsmith and have him install a bead or some other sight.
Old March 30, 2009, 07:11 PM   #10
colostomyclown

Sights are for aiming. Shotguns are for pointing. Beads assist best in pointing imo. Get a nice bead fitted properly.
Old March 30, 2009, 07:27 PM   #11
Old Guard Dog

HiViz makes fiberoptic type sights that clamp on a vented rib or one that just snaps around a plain barrel. Not expensive, and great for HD guns. They are easy to see in low light conditions. If it is darker than you can see these sights, you shouldn't be shooting.

Check them out on the net. If you can't find a dealer near you, drop me a line. I have them in stock.
Old March 30, 2009, 09:21 PM   #12
publius

I would get the biggest white bead I could find and drill&tap and install.
Old April 1, 2009, 04:08 AM   #13
Wallabing

If you have $300 to blow, you could have a gunsmith install Trak-lock II ghost sights.
Old April 2, 2009, 12:34 AM   #14
marine0341

for a HD shotgun don't worry about the front sight since it's a beater just keep as is and have a drawer full of slugs, 4shot,. If your going to go to a gunsmith then do it with your nicer skeet gun later on.

By the way I have always liked Shotguns for HD but the only draw back is if the intruder has somone at gun point(like your wife or kids) then the shotgun is usless. I have a dual setup SHOTTY under my bed and glock under my pillow.

Get Some!
Old April 2, 2009, 12:33 PM   #15
dakotashooter2

I have had that Hi Vis clip on sight fly off on several occasions. Especially on the short barrels and heavy loads. I know I have seen a sight that clamps over a ribless barrel (barrel ring with a post/blade on top) but I'm not sure if it is still made or who makes it.
Old April 3, 2009, 03:59 AM   #16
Sixer

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm gonna leave it alone for now. After my first trip to the range with it, I realized that I probably don't need a front sight for this one. Just point and click!

I did come across a heat shield that has built in front and rear sights. I though it looked like a good option if I change my mind... Right now I'm just going to save up a little $$$ and keep an eye out for a longer barrel WITH sights for skeet, etc. Thanks again!