The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 29, 2009, 11:39 PM   #1
kwells6

S&W 4566 in 45acp info/reviews/gripes

I'm not a huge fan of the 45acp, but I did some trading with my bro and picked this up.

haven't fired it, but it seems like a sound side arm. honestly, I'll prolly trade it off, but wanted to see if its worth my while to keep
Old March 30, 2009, 08:00 AM   #2
oldandslow

kw, 3/30/09

I also have the SW 4566tsw as well as a number of other .45's (Sigs, Beretta, Springfields, HK). I have the most rounds through my 4566, about 7000 so far with no problems. It shoots FMJ's and JHP's equally well. The double action trigger is good, same for the single action trigger with its very short reset. It is truly a great pistol- now if it was a little lighter it would make a good carry piece. The SW 3rd generation pistols, which includes the 4566, are well known as being boringly reliable, accurate and long lasting. If you do decide to sell or trade it off you should have no trouble finding buyers.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old March 30, 2009, 07:29 PM   #3
MTS840

Quote:
S&W 4566 in 45acp info/reviews/gripes
I carried a S&W 4566 TSW as a duty weapon for a mid sized city police department.

I put a Hogue grip on it and it really helped a lot. It felt perfect in the hand after that.

I never had any reliability problems with the gun, but it was just too big and heavy for a concealed carry weapon.

The silly bolt-on accessory rail made it look a bit gaudy, in my opinion.