The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 28, 2009, 09:12 PM   #1
gotguns?

870 trigger pin falls out

I gave my 870 a full blown cleaning last fall and got it out to shoot clays the other day. while shooting the front trigger pin fell out. What keeps this pin in place?
"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. ... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson
Old March 28, 2009, 11:48 PM   #2
Scorch

A little wire spring in the trigger group. Check the pin: some of them only have one groove around the pin, and they must be inserted the right wat so the spring catches the groove.
Taylor Machine
Old March 29, 2009, 08:29 AM   #3
gotguns?

It does have a notch on both ends of the pin. Could that spring have fell out easily or is it possibly just not in the right position?
"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. ... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson
Old March 29, 2009, 10:38 AM   #4
rem870hunter

there is 2 different diameter pins. obviously the larger will not fit in the smaller receiver hole,but the smaller pin will fit into the larger receiver hole. and fall right out. what is most likely the problem is the spring in the trigger group that is around the hole for the pin, is stretched or broken. you can get replacement trigger group pins that "don't walk out". removing,installing, removing, installing. repeatedly will loosen the springs or break them.

Scattergun Bob would most likely know more on this trouble. he's most likely torn apart more that i can count on my fingers and my toes .
Old March 29, 2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Lee Lapin

Take a look at the diagram at http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/rem870.htm , specifically Part Number 70, which is hard to see in this drawing. That's what you're missing- the Front Trigger Plate Pin Detent Spring. It's sort of a little C clip that keeps the pin in place.

The name is bigger than the part...

You can likely get it from Brownells, or straight from Remington.

hth,

lpl
Old March 29, 2009, 12:16 PM   #6
yoky

I solved this problem by using anti walk pins from Brownels

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...0HOUSING%20PIN