The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 27, 2009, 02:54 PM   #1
chicharrra

Springfield XD Vs. Glock 21

Just a simple question:

What would persuade a person to buy one over the other (not counting price). I have narrowed my Glocks down to the 21 the feel and accuracy are better than the 30 and 36. I am leaning towards the Glock as the better choice but was looking for some feedback.
Old March 27, 2009, 03:08 PM   #2
ActivShootr

The size of the large frame Glocks discouraged me from buying one. They are HUGE. I have never held the XD .45, but the .40 I had years ago left me not wanting another one.
Old March 27, 2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

In 9mm/.40, I'd probably take the Glock, but the .45 Glocks are such pigs, and the .45 XD can use most holsters for the smaller gun, so if I had to pick between the two, I'd take the XD over the 21.
Old March 27, 2009, 03:27 PM   #4
mustang66maniac

XD feels just right to me, glock feels funky and i can't hit anything with it.

BTW this has been covered a million times.
Old March 27, 2009, 03:37 PM   #5
stinkypete

I recently bought a glock and like it very much, never tried XP or MP etc. What sold me on the Glock was they are the grand daddy of the plastic gun and have been around and there are a lot of aftermarket parts and accessories out there. Plus a lot of cops carry them (although I believe sigs are now in the running for that title). IF you remember back in the dark ages when the Brady bill was in full effect mag. capacity for servants was limited to 10rds. However cops could carry more. Cops would trade their old hicap. mags for new hicap.mags and the company would refurbish the old hi cap. mags and resell them to servants at outrageous prices, at least you could still get them. If Obama and the other liberals get their way they will be clamping down on the capacity of magizines soon.
Old March 27, 2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Terry A

Personally, I love the Glocks. But for the .45, I chose the XD-45 over the Glock 21. The XD has a fully-supported chamber which allows you to fire high-pressure +P and/or +P+ ammunition through it.

The one thing I like better about the G21 is there is less take up in the trigger than in the XD as well as a better (quicker) reset.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old March 27, 2009, 04:35 PM   #7
RT

I really like my G21 SF. Feels good in the hand.
Old March 27, 2009, 04:38 PM   #8
IDAHO83501

I have both

I have both, they are different but both are good. If you have small hands you will probably like the XD, if you have large hands, the Glock will may feel better. Handle them both, you'll know right away which one fits your hand better. You honestly can't go wrong either way. ( if you choose the XD, pay a little more and get the BI-Tone Stainless, that finish sure seems to hold up better than the black finish)
Old March 27, 2009, 05:43 PM   #9
45_Shooter

My buddy has an XD45 Tactical, I have a G21 I picked up recently. Of the two, I think the XD45 is a more flexible weapon, and more ergonomic.

I think the Glock has a durability advantage, a better trigger feel, and greater aftermarket support, but it doesn't like lead or SWC profiles at all, so it looses out on the flexibility. Glock ergos especially on the standard G21 leave something to be desired, while the XD45 is pretty accomodating.

If you're going to be shooting factory or hardball ammo, I would recommend looking at the G21SF, but only without the ambi mag release option (i.e. it has the standard mag release like every other G21)

If you're a reloader (as I am) or the Glock ergos don't fit, look at the XD45.
Old March 27, 2009, 05:55 PM   #10
Clevinger

I've shot both a lot and I like the XD a lot better.

I didn't like the glock very much in the .45. Their 9mm's are awesome though.
Old March 27, 2009, 05:56 PM   #11
ElectricHellfire

I have a Glock 21. I also own several XDs in various calibers.

All fine weapons.

All things considered I prefer the Glock. Mine (as with all my Glocks) have been the definition of reliability from the get go. My G21 is, without a doubt, my softest, easiest shooting .45acp.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Good luck
Old March 27, 2009, 07:08 PM   #12
BuckHammer

I love my Glock 21. I find it to be comfortable to shoot, and it has good accuracy. It also has Trijicon night sights, which I recommend. They are easy to see in all conditions. Bottom line, the Glock gets the job done no matter what and loves doing it.

I can't speak for XDs, as I haven't shot one, but I'm sure they are just fine, too.
Old March 27, 2009, 07:48 PM   #13
Texas Solo

My son has the XD 5". It is accurate, but I hate the high bore center on it. It's like driving a dump truck around a sharp corner. I shoot my little G30 better. If size matters, check out the G21SF.
Old March 27, 2009, 07:59 PM   #14
jmr40

The Glock has a thicker grip and magazine. In order to fit the same number of rounds into an XD they made the grip and magazine longer. The slide on a Glock is wide. The slide on the XD is narrower, but taller from top to bottom. The fat grip of the Glock will not work for some with smaller hands. I have held the 21SF, but have not shot one. I do not know if it would make enough difference or not. My hands work fine with the Glock and I feel the lower bore and grip angle make it a more shootable gun than the XD I used to own.
Old March 27, 2009, 10:14 PM   #15
Sgt Pepper

A friend of mine has a G21c, which I have put 800-1000 rounds through over the course of a number of range sessions. I almost bought one myself, but on impulse, I bought an XD45 (4" service). The two main factors in that purchase was the XD was cheaper and came with more stuff, i.e. the holster, speed loader, and double mag holder.

After putting a few hundred rounds through my XD, I had the following observations:

1. Accuracy was practically equal between the two.
2. Precision was equal between the two.
3. The Glock trigger still pinches my finger over time, while the XD trigger is far more comfortable for me. I had the same problem with my old G17 years ago. Maybe it's because one is all plastic and the other features metal.
4. The Glock was a softer shooter for sure (but it was the ported model).
5. The XD definitely has the more natural grip and pointability.
6. Reliability was the same. My XD has never failed in any way.
7. I preferred the narrowness of the top portion of the slide over the blocky glock.
8. Aesthetically, the glock is a lot simpler and cleaner looking compared to the XD.
9. Takedown and maintenance is a wash.

After having put hundreds and hundreds more rounds through my XD since then and having shot more Glocks, I can say that I could go with either weapon in a moment. The XD feels better in the hand, and while the Glock feels large in my hand, it feels just fine during live fire. I REALLY love my XD since installing the Powder River Precision trigger kit. Nearly zero takeup, crisp, light break, and minimal overtravel.

Funny thing is way back when I bought my XD, the friend who owned the Glock said he preferred my XD after shooting it.
Old March 27, 2009, 10:15 PM   #16
Alleykat

The XD does NOT have a "fully supported chamber." (still a nice pistol, though) Absolutely no problem with shooting +p in G21s. I've shot a few .45 Supers and .450 SMCs in mine, with no ill effects. I like the lower bore axis of the Glocks, plus, as somebody else mentioned, availability of parts. Fact that Glocks have no roll pins and can easily be completely disassembled in just a few minutes by just about anybody with "walking-about" sense.

For a few bucks, one can install a 3.5# aftermarket connector in a Glock, do a little judicious polishing and wind up with a pretty decent trigger.
Old March 28, 2009, 12:04 AM   #17
l8apex

XD, the grip and pointing of the Glock [High], doesn't work for me. I'd also consider the Smith Wesson M&P 45, great ergos. Fits me better than the two mentioned, which is why I picked one up recently.
Old March 28, 2009, 12:58 AM   #18
Terry A

Springfield Armory XDM Pistol: 16+1 Rounds of .40 S&W Firepower
Date: Monday, July 28 @ 06:45:41 PDT
Topic: Pistols

By David Crane
defrev at gmail dot com
July 26, 2008

For the last few years, DefenseReview has received some pretty glowing feedback on the Springfield Armory XD45 (eXtreme Duty 45) .45 ACP pistol. One of the primary aspects of the XD45 pistol that the professionals we've interviewed appreciate is its fully-supported chamber which allows them to fire high-pressure +P and/or +P+ ammunition through it, which they can't do through a Glock 21 (G21) / Glock 21SF (G21SF) or Glock 30 (G30) / Glock 30SF (G30SF) .45 ACP pistols, since they do not have fully-supported chambers. One of these rounds is the LeMas Ltd. BMT APLP 85-grain (85gr) .45 CQB round, which has a muzzle velocity of well over 2,000 FPS out of a 5-inch (5") Government Model 1911 pistol, and will penetrate NIJ Level IIIA body armor (bullet-resistant vest) with no problem and devastate the tissue immediately behind it. "BMT APLP" stands for "Blended Metal Technology Armor-Piercing Limited-Penetration".

The reason we bring all this up is that we recently read about the new Springfield Armory XD(M) .40 S&W pistol a.k.a. Springfield Armory eXtreme Duty Mega-Capacity/M-factor .40S&W pistol (a.k.a. Springfield Armory XDM or Springfield XDM pistol, for short), which holds an impressive 16+1 rounds thanks to its "Mega-Capacity Magazine" and sports a "Minimal Reset Trigger" (quick-reset trigger) that, according to the marketing literature
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old March 28, 2009, 01:00 AM   #19
OhioAAA

I like the grip on the XD much better than Glock, however, I would chose a Glock for it's superior reliability anyday (assuming in the hands of a care owner).
Old March 28, 2009, 02:00 AM   #20
rsxr22

i own glocks and xd's in 9mm and .40. And most of what i would say has already been said. I love both guns and they are both a pleasure to shoot. The xd does feel a little better in the hand, but when it comes down to firing them the glock performs flawlessly. It is just my .02 but i would take a glock over an xd anyday and if i had to choose one to get into a gunfight w/ it would be the glock cant really explain why but im sure most guys that own them understand where im coming from. Are there more accurate and so bold to say "better" pistols out there? yea there are. I am a devout hk guy, but still would run for my glock before it
Old March 28, 2009, 04:36 AM   #21
TDrift

Based on my experience and opinion:
Grip -> XD
Trigger Reset -> Glock
Old March 28, 2009, 07:41 AM   #22
N.H. Yankee

Owned both in 40 cal, sold the Glock still in love with the XD. Hated the Glock grip angle, and in the heat of battle it can be the difference between going home or going down.
Old March 28, 2009, 01:04 PM   #23
Dash

i would go with the XD, in my experience non-9mm glocks are bad
Old March 28, 2009, 02:12 PM   #24
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleykat
The XD does NOT have a "fully supported chamber."
Ummm...OK. I'l leave the semantics to people that know what they're talking about regarding XDs having or not having a "fully supported chamber". But the fact remains Glocks has had chambers that didn't support cartridges nearly as well as other firearms. It has been arguably the issue with Glocks. There's no dancing around that issue...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 28, 2009, 02:35 PM   #25
Clevinger

This guy did a review of .45's under $600 here:

http://www.best9mm.com/bestguns.html