The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 26, 2009, 09:56 PM   #1
N00b_Shooter

Leupold Vs Nightforce Scopes

Hey, I'm looking at buying either a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 or a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50. These are the only 2 scopes i want and the only thing I am willing to change is the magnification and objective lense size.

Out of those two which one do you guys think is better?

Also what magnification would you guys use for shooting at 500-1000 Yards?

It's to go on a Rem 700P in .308

I know I'm still new to shooting but this scope will last a long time and i just got some money to burn on it so i dont really care if its a stupid buy I'm still going to get it.
Old March 26, 2009, 10:01 PM   #2
precision_shooter

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Me personally I would go with the Leupold because of the excellent warranty. Especially when spending the kind of money you are going to be spending.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 26, 2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Blackops_2

I think nightforce is better. Now i know you said those are the only two scopes you want. But zeiss is over leupold and is cheaper than nightforce but i think nightforce is top of the line.
Old March 26, 2009, 10:04 PM   #4
nimbleVagrant

Nightforce is generally considered a step above the Leupold. Which, of course, isn't to say the Leupy's aren't great, the Nightforce are just that much better. 22x will be more than enough for 500-1000 yards. I know you're set on those two, but I gotta ask, did you look at all at the US Optics line?
Old March 26, 2009, 10:40 PM   #5
Zak Smith

Most people who have shot both the NF and Leupold prefer the NF. Having used scopes that eclipse those choices in quality and features, it would be a wash for me and I'd probably take the cheaper one or the lighter one, depending on my use.

However, I warn that most people think they need a lot more magnification than they actually do to shoot at "long range." I normally use S&B 3-12x50 scopes to shoot as far as 1300 yards.

-z

article | Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting, Part I - Rifle & Equipment

article | Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting, Part II - Optics

article | Introduction to High-End Long-Range Rifle Scopes ("Don't Skimp on the Scope!")
Old March 26, 2009, 11:04 PM   #6
TargetTerror

The son of someone I shoot smallbore rifle with at my club is in the AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit). He says that his unit has recently switched over to Nightforce, as the Leupolds have not been holding up to the continued recoil of some of the more vicious rounds they shoot. I don't recall which guns/calibers it was, but I'm guessing 300 win mag? (I believe that is what they use when they require a little more oomph)
Old March 26, 2009, 11:44 PM   #7
N00b_Shooter

Thanks for all the replies, even though i really want one of these to, i would look into other suggestions that people give me, its just the chance of me changing is slim.

nimbleVagrant, i cant say i have looked at them, but thats more because i have never seen one in Australia and thats where i live

Zak Smith, Thanks for the reading material, i'll go through it all tonight. I looked into the S&B scopes but they are a little out of my price range.

I need to make my decision by tomorrow because the NF scope is on sale and i can get it for $2000AU from $2300AU.

Thanks again for the info
Old March 27, 2009, 12:06 AM   #8
nimbleVagrant

Oops, didn't see that you're in Australia.

The Nightforce will not disappoint you.
Old March 27, 2009, 07:26 AM   #9
Lloyd Smale

like was said both are good scopes. the night force is better but cost substantialy more too. Where the night force really shines is in the amount of ajustment they have built into them for long range shooting.
Old March 27, 2009, 07:56 AM   #10
N00b_Shooter

Zak Smith. Thanks again for the documents, was a very good read. Now i dont know about NF because of the SFP reticle. i wanted to use the mildots. Does that mean that at a certain magnification the mildots are still 100% accurate so i can shoot with them if i do stick to that specific magnification?

If so, how do i know what it is?

I think i will still get the NF because the S&B are abit too far out of my price range and the US Optics arn't even in Australia (I looked after i read the artical) and The Leupold M1 that i was gonna get doesn't have a zero stop.
Old March 27, 2009, 08:01 AM   #11
garryc

I've use Nightforce and Loopy. I go with Nightforce. Loopys I don't much like anyway.
Old March 27, 2009, 09:55 AM   #12
azsixshooter

Quote:
I know I'm still new to shooting but this scope will last a long time and i just got some money to burn on it so i dont really care if its a stupid buy I'm still going to get it.
It's only a stupid buy if you fail to thoroughly consider all of your options before rushing in on anything.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old March 27, 2009, 10:59 AM   #13
50 shooter

I checked both out before I bought for my .50, I was looking at a Mk4 Leupold Vs. NXS line. The Mk4 was a fixed power with more MOA adjustment but I wanted a variable. I know Leupold now makes variable Mk4's but they're not as beefy as the original fixed power Mk4's.

Another thing was looking through both, the NF glass is better (not much) then a Leupold but still better. As far as the warranty goes, both companies have great warranties and customer service, I've used both.

I went with the Nighforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm in the end and I'm more then happy with it's perfomance. I've used mine to shoot out to 1 mile with my .50 and nailed the plate that I was shooting at. I'm pretty sure I would've had the same results with a Mk4.

It basically will come down to which scope you like more, I would skip the zero stop feature. Unless you really need it I would save the money and use it for a good set of rings.

As far as durablity goes, every scope made has failed on a .50! That includes NF and USO, the .50's recoil will eventually break ANY scope.
No time for rearranging.
Old March 27, 2009, 11:54 AM   #14
Zak Smith

Quote:
Zak Smith. Thanks again for the documents, was a very good read. Now i dont know about NF because of the SFP reticle. i wanted to use the mildots. Does that mean that at a certain magnification the mildots are still 100% accurate so i can shoot with them if i do stick to that specific magnification?
Yes in a SFP scope the reticle is calibrated at one magnification: usually, but not always, the maximum power.
Old March 27, 2009, 08:20 PM   #15
Ralph Allen

Nightforce all the way and don't look back. Nightforce has more internal adjustment than the Leupold. 3.5-15 is fine for 308. Cheaper than the 5.5-20. Make sure you get a 20MOA base if your rifle doesn't have one.
Ralph
Old March 27, 2009, 09:40 PM   #16
JohnBrowningIII

Well if money is no object go with the NightForce it is a better product then the Leupold. I think I would be more concerned though about your rifle. Your scope choice is a Roll's Royce but your rifle is Ford Pinto. I do not care how much you spend on your scope your not going to see a drastic improvment in your accuracy no matter if the distance is 100 meters or if it is 1000 meter's. So if you are able to drop that much coin on your scope what are you going to do to make this rifle a shooter?

So since no one else asked I am going too? Why are spending so much on a scope for a cheap rifle? I hope you are at the very least going to rebarrel that beast and custom bed it to give it a fighting chance!?!

Generaly two things come to mind when a see a guy with a NIght Force scope? 1) Great another poser that wants to look like he can shoot. 2)Wow I wounder if his wife has a sister?
Old March 27, 2009, 10:47 PM   #17
nimbleVagrant

I wouldn't consider a 700p a cheap rifle. They're accurate out of the box and they're a great platform to build upon. If he wants to get the expensive part done with first, it sounds like a good plan to me. You can do a thousand things to a rifle to make it shoot better. Not much you can do with a scope.

Noob_Shooter came here asking for opinions on scopes, he could mount it on a Daisy BB gun for all I care.
Old March 27, 2009, 10:55 PM   #18
azsixshooter

I've always heard that you should spend more on your scope than you do on your rifle. Sounds to me like Noob_Shooter is doing the right thing.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old March 27, 2009, 11:52 PM   #19
cowboy33713

Howdy-
I currently have my Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x 50 on a box-stock Rem 700 in .223. This scope will allow ANY rifle to be used to it's potential! The NF scope has features that cost extra and need to be special ordered in other scope lines- fell in love with side focus, wide choice of reticles, illuminated (WHOLE reticle, not just a dot in the center as some have. Yeah, I know -some folks like that. For me, that's just O.K. ), sunshade included, the best record in the military, top choice in benchrest and long range, stand up to recoil in excess of .50BMG, and have a Forever warranty. Also liked that -while "mil dots" are available, I got a reticle graduated in MOA which matches the .25 MOA click
adjustments on the turrets. Just quicker to figure when they are the same scale. You will not go wrong with a NF scope, and it will spoil you for anything else.
Just my two devalued cents!
cowboy33713
Old March 28, 2009, 01:42 AM   #20
N00b_Shooter

JohnBrowningIII, Just so you know the Rem 700 ALREADY has a fluted match grade barrel, the action trued and a Jewel Trigger and the scope only cost $300AU more then the rifle (Which in Aussie $ isn't much) and it was actually my fiance that bought me the scope ...and the rifle.

nimbleVagrant and azsixshooter, thanks for standing up for me

Thanks for everyones input i really appreciate it, i ended up just buying the NF NXS 5.5-22x56.
Old March 28, 2009, 03:17 AM   #21
LateNightFlight

Quote:
Thanks for everyones input i really appreciate it, i ended up just buying the NF NXS 5.5-22x56.
Good for you! I'm late to the party but that would've been my vote. Give us a range report when your rig is up and running.

Thanks to Zak for the links, good info. I don't shoot the extreme ranges, but I tilt towards more magnification by preference. I recently shot 300 yards with 18X and that seemed like plenty. Then switched to 24X and felt like that was better still. Of course, that's not 1000 yards on a hot day with mirage issues, but I'd sure like to try somebody's 30+ power someday.

Quote:
So since no one else asked I am going too? Why are spending so much on a scope for a cheap rifle? I hope you are at the very least going to rebarrel that beast and custom bed it to give it a fighting chance!?!
Browning, you’ve piqued my curiosity. If a 700P is below you, what package would you put together for the purpose?

Quote:
Generaly two things come to mind when a see a guy with a NIght Force scope? 1) Great another poser that wants to look like he can shoot.
So, if a guy has a 700P, the gun isn’t good enough. But if he has a NF scope, or something in that class, he’s a poser? Or is he just a poser for having a NF on a 700?

Seems like a guy is damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t.
Old March 28, 2009, 07:57 PM   #22
skinewmexico

You'll see a lot more Nightforce scopes at an F-Class match than anything else. Especially once you get past the local matches. See a lot of posers with them at the Nationals.
Old March 29, 2009, 03:41 AM   #23
N00b_Shooter

Thats good cause i would like to get into competition shooting, thats why i wanted a scope good enough to begin with so i learn with it and feel very comfortable with it for when i am good enough to enter a comp.
Old March 29, 2009, 01:16 PM   #24
stonedog406

I am in the same situation and I, too, am opting for the nightforce. I did the same kind of diligence and among the other aspects mentioned, I learned about how they are made (one solid billet of aluminum for the body). They are heavier, but that is not a biggie considering the application. Everyone I have personally spoken to or read on forums like this one, is that if you buy one, you will be ruined for other scopes. If you found a good deal, I would snatch it up. I am saving up for that same purchase.. look forward to hearing how it works out for you.
Old March 29, 2009, 01:36 PM   #25
50 shooter

I posted this thread on The High Road http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=214288 it's a picture of a NF scope that was hit with an AK round. The sniper who's rifle it was mounted on kept using it until he got a replacement.
No time for rearranging.