The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 25, 2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Mandrake

Can I dry fire my Glock to my hearts content?

Without damaging it that is.

Well...Can I??
Old March 25, 2009, 08:30 PM   #2
CortJestir

Yep, go for it.
Old March 25, 2009, 08:51 PM   #3
ElectricHellfire

Of course.
Old March 25, 2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Clevinger

So it really won't hurt the firing pin on Glocks to dry-fire them a bunch?

I don't even like dry-firing my glock when I have to clean it.
Old March 25, 2009, 08:57 PM   #5
ElectricHellfire

No. It does not hurt them to dry fire them a bunch. Go get your dry fire on.
Old March 26, 2009, 12:31 AM   #6
G-man 26

If dry firing hurts the Glock, mine live in constant, unbearable, pain. No malfunctions yet, and this with hundreds and hundreds of dry fires. It's good for them, and you.
Old March 26, 2009, 04:23 AM   #7
Dash

i've seen a glock broken breechface because of constant dryfire practice. better use a dummy round for it. the owner is an IPSC shooter and dryfires the glock a lot.

the slide was replaced by glock, it took 8 months to replace them though.

http://pinoyguns.proboards105.com/in...ead=38&page=22

Quote:
Quote:
Caused by dryfiring?!!
I thought Glocks are designed to be perfectly safe to be dry fired without a snapcap. i do a lot of dryfiring on my glock pa naman. tsk tsk... dean speir would go nuts if he find this out.
mines not an isolated case, 2 fellow BOGS, caused by dryfiring. chk online for data

Last edited by Dash; March 26, 2009 at 04:36 AM.
Old March 26, 2009, 06:17 AM   #8
jmr40

Dry fire all you want. If something breaks on your gun it would have broken anyway from live firing. And you would have spent thousands on ammo to get the same amount of practice.
Old March 26, 2009, 08:32 AM   #9
Alleykat

Glock/Smyrna's diagnosis of the breechface failure was that it was due to "excessive dryfiring". To assert that the part would have failed, anyhow, due to live firing, is fallacious logic.

When dry-firing, the firing pin, driven by a five-pound spring, strikes the rear of the breechface, unimpeded. When live-fired, of course, the firing pin doesn't strike the rear of the breech face unimpeded.

As to replacement time for a broken Glock slide, my recent experience was that the wait was just a few days.
Old March 26, 2009, 09:33 AM   #10
greyeyezz

Get some snap caps. Cheap insurance.
Old March 26, 2009, 10:35 AM   #11
Delaware_Dan

Quote:
Get some snap caps. Cheap insurance
Well said.
Old March 26, 2009, 01:14 PM   #12
jmr40

If using snap caps makes you feel better then go for it. I've never used them and have been dryfiring guns for close to 40 years with no problems. There are exceptions. Kel-Tec advises against it and I do not dry fire double shotguns or 22's. There are a few others, but it will not hurt most modern guns.

I can sit in my den and get in several hundred rounds of dry fire practice in the evening at no cost. I do so several times a week and have done so for years. Some of my guns have been dry fired many many thousands of times. Using a snap cap "MAY" help prevent "SOME" damage, but you are still cycling the gun and causing wear to moving parts.

Something on one of my guns may break tomorrow that can be linked to dry firing, but it is still money well spent. I have saved enough on ammo costs alone to pay to replace every gun I own several times over. Not counting the time and expense of going to a firing range.
Old March 26, 2009, 01:19 PM   #13
Mandrake

Thanks fellas, I'm still not sure if I should dry fire my glock lol, but it was interesting reading all of your replies.
Old March 26, 2009, 05:04 PM   #14
Neil2470

I always taken the standpoint of not dry firing any gun if I can help it. Obviously there have been times where I have and have never had a problem. But still I try not too.
Old March 26, 2009, 05:05 PM   #15
Alleykat

Quote:
I have saved enough on ammo costs alone to pay to replace every gun I own several times over. Not counting the time and expense of going to a firing range.
Hard to argue with that "logic"!!!!
Old March 26, 2009, 07:24 PM   #16
longcall911

To me, the sound of naked dry-fire is like fingernails running down a chalkboard. I use only A-zoom snap caps.

/*tom*/
Old March 27, 2009, 12:15 AM   #17
chris in va

Glock question...do you have to partially rack the slide to recock the pin like on my Kahr? If so I would think a snap cap would be difficult to use.
Old March 27, 2009, 12:41 AM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

You can dryfire it without worrying about damage if you're talking about practicing once in awhile for a match or if you're talking about a few snaps after cleaning the gun to check function.

If you're talking about embarking on a vigorous dryfiring campaign that involves a lot of daily dryfiring then snapcaps are a reasonable precaution. Dryfiring does put some additional stress on the breechface and firing pin and anything will break if you work hard or long enough trying to break it.

Racking the slide is necessary to reset the Glock trigger, but you only have to rack the slide a short distance. It's not that difficult to figure out how far back to pull the slide to keep the snapcap in place.

In my experience the partial extraction/rechambering that is required by this action is hard on the solid aluminum Azoom type snapcaps. An easy (and very cheap) solution is to get an empty case in the proper caliber, drive out the primer and glue a bit of hard rubber in the primer pocket. When the rubber starts to look ragged you can replace the rubber or just make a new snapcap.
Old March 27, 2009, 05:03 AM   #19
Dash

if you're making a brass homemade snapcap be sure to mark the brass properly to indicate that it is a dummy round in the chamber.

safety first.
Old March 27, 2009, 03:35 PM   #20
dawgfvr

Quote:
Get some snap caps. Cheap insurance.
Yup...totally agree.
Old March 27, 2009, 10:17 PM   #21
Alleykat

I like to wet-fire. Also like to fly kites and ride bikes. Sure am saving a lot of money on ammuntion when I'm flying kites and riding bikes!!
Old March 27, 2009, 10:29 PM   #22
Tex S

Quote:
No. It does not hurt them to dry fire them a bunch. Go get your dry fire on.
Totally get your dry fire on!
Old March 27, 2009, 11:45 PM   #23
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
if you're making a brass homemade snapcap be sure to mark the brass properly to indicate that it is a dummy round in the chamber.
That's a good point. I just use an empty case which makes marking it unnecessary.
Old March 28, 2009, 01:20 AM   #24
Dash

@JohnKSa, i press check from time to time during my dry fire session, just to make sure i did not lapse and load a live round in the chamber.

an empty case and live round would look the same when press checking a gun. better use a marker to color that empty case.
Old March 28, 2009, 01:25 AM   #25
Dash

dryfire drill improve your target acquisition and trigger control skills.

do lots of it when not in the range, do it safely.

use snapcaps, they're cheap just replace them when they get worn. snapcaps can also be used for jam clearing drills, get a bunch of them.