The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2009, 07:00 PM   #1
SATCH487

243 Win Pet Loads

Just Bought A New Savage Model 10 243 Standard Barrell For My Son To Ground Hog Hunt And Deer Hunt With. Just Started To Reload For All My Guns And Have Not Found A Pet Load Yet. If Anybody Could Share There Pet Loads To Give Me A Starting Point I Would Greatly Appreciate It Greatly.
Old March 25, 2009, 08:06 PM   #2
James R. Burke

I wont give you the reciepes just in case of a typo, but get some good manuals for what you are going to use. My wife has a .243 Ruger No 1 for her deer load I use a 100 grain Nosler Partition with RL-22. Those bigger bullets in the .243 like slower burning powder there going about 3000 f.p.s. She got her first two deer with that load. One double lunger pass thru shot went about 30 yards, and fell over. Then she filled her doe tag with a neck shot. Dropped right there. She passed on a few shots because she felt she did not have good shot placement, and that is key with the .243. It works o.k. for deer but you need a good bullet that wont break up and good shot placement. I made her a varmint load with a Nosler 55 grain ballistic tip and H-414 for the powder, there moving at about 3800 f.p.s. Both of those loads will shoot under 1" five shot groups at 100 yards if I do my part. I think the .243 is a very nice gun, that you can do alot of things with. If you go to Noslers web site go into there ballistic room, and they will give you all there load data. I also used CCI-Large Primers but there all pretty good. Have fun get some manuals, and keep it safe.
Old March 26, 2009, 04:34 AM   #3
TheNatureBoy

I too suggest getting a few reloading manuals. I load using the latest Sierra and Nosler load data and have gotten some very good results.
Old March 26, 2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Smokey Joe

.243 Win...

Satch 487--Firstly, welcome to TFL!

Nextly, I echo the above in saying "get ye a reloading manual!!" NEVER depend on what some anonymous yahoo posts on the I'net--you and your beloved Old Betsy become the Guinea pig for such a load. If the I'net suggestion jibes with a published, identified, source, then fine. The makers of most bullets and powders have I'net sites with load data--those are OK because they are identified. But you should still cross-check the recipes.

Most experienced reloaders have more than 1 manual for just this reason--cross-checking.

Lastly, I used a 95 grain Nosler Partition over IMR 4350 for my #1 Son's deer rifle--kilt every deer he shot it at. But with a small bullet like a .243, shot placement is everything. We went and practiced. We studied deer anatomy together. Lots of good father-and-son time. I got the load recipe out of Lyman's 48th edition IIRC, but now I'd go to the Nosler 6th edition for that info.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 26, 2009, 11:28 AM   #5
Sam06

STACH, I would recommend getting the Loadbook for 243.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=623361

This is what they look like^^^^

I get them for every cartridge I load for. They are nice to have and combined with several loading Manuals really help out. I like Loading manuals from Bullet companies. Sierra, Hornaday and Nosler are the ones i go to the most in that order.

When I start out with a new cartridge I usually try out the Accuracy load in the Sierra manual for the bullet weight I want to shoot.

I like the 243 and I concur that bullet placement is king when hunting. I will say this and I expect to get flamed for it but a 243 will let you down at sometime in your hunting career. Thats just an opinion I have.

Now to loads: These are loads I have used in my gun and they work. Approach all loads with caution and start 10% under listed loads. Treat all internet loads as if the unibomber posted them.

Ground hog load

70gr HPBT H322 33.5gr @3050fps

Deer load

100gr SP IMR 4064 36.3gr@ 2900fps **This is near or at max***
Old March 26, 2009, 11:32 AM   #6
kwells6

60gr HP and 43gr of Varget (+- 3600fps at +-1726f/lbs) are brutal out of my Remington 700
Old March 26, 2009, 12:00 PM   #7
mkl

I've taken six or eight deer with the 100 grain Nosler partition pushed by IMR-4350.

All one shot kills, and none moved more than 30 feet from where they were hit.

Don't be afraid to take a front shoulder shot. The Nosler partition will ruin very little meat while it breaks the shoulder and drops the deer in its tracks.
Old March 26, 2009, 03:23 PM   #8
James R. Burke

Sam you wont get flamed for it. It is a fact. Like I said my wife has a .243 and shot placement is everything. She passed on a few shots because of that. She listened and learned very well. Some shots you just can not take with the .243, and being a good sporstperson you need to let some go. That holds true for whatever your shooting I believe. Now and then even doing the right things a deer gets wounded, and most of us been thru that. It happens but you got to try to keep the odds in your favor. Like everyone is saying get some manuals. I have several, and every few years I update them. Nice to compare stuff with. Take care.
Old March 26, 2009, 07:03 PM   #9
SATCH487

243 Loads

Hey Guys Thanks For All The Info. I Have The 5th Edition Of Nosler Reloading Guide. I Know The New One's Have All The New Loads. I Have A 7mm08 That I Have Been Deer Hunting With For The Last 3yrs And I Love It, The Problem Is That My Son Has Shot 2 Deer With It And Now He Has Claimed It For Himself. I Guess Ol Dad Will Be Shooting The 243 At Deer. Does Anybody Recommend The Barnes Tripple Shock For The Nock Down Over The Noslers Or The Hornaday.
Old March 26, 2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Smokey Joe

Nosler vs. Barnes vs. Hornady...

Satch 487--
Quote:
Does Anybody Recommend The Barnes Tripple Shock For The Nock Down Over The Noslers Or The Hornaday.
You'll have to try 'em in yr rifle to see which bullet yr rifle "likes." With Barnes copper bullets, some rifles do very well with 'em, and some spit them all over the place. Nosler bullets IMX are just serious good performers. You won't find extreme likes and dislikes by a rifle as with the Barnes bullets.

Haven't used Hornady bullets much myself, so cannot comment on those.

A VERY complete discussion of the whole subject is the book Rifle Bullets for the Hunter. Sorry, mine is not to hand so can't give you an author or publisher. But it's about as complete a coverage of the subject as you are likely to get.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 26, 2009, 08:03 PM   #11
elkman06

100gr Hornadays BTSP pushed by Hodgon4831sc. 1/2in groups out of my Tikka bolt.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old March 27, 2009, 06:22 AM   #12
SATCH487

243 Loads

I Guess The Question That I Am Most Interested In Is Do Solid Copper Bullets Foul Your Barrell More Than Regular Bullets. And Ive Heard That You Have To Set Them Back Farther From The Lands Then You Do Reg Bullets. Any Truth To It.
Old March 27, 2009, 08:08 PM   #13
dodge

I load 38 grs 4064, Sierra 85 gr HPBT Gamekings, CCI 200 primers in a Remington case. This load has shot very well in every .243 that I've had or my friends have had. I have heard of people using this bullet on deer but you have to wait until you can get a good broad side shot. Personally I don't use my .243 on deer as I like a heavier slug than 85 - 100 gr.
Old March 27, 2009, 09:20 PM   #14
crowbeaner

These are the loads I shoot; check in the Hodgdon #25 or #26 manual.
1) WW brass, CCI 200, Sierra 75 grain HP, 39.0 of IMR 4895
2) WW brass, RP 9 1/2, Sierra 85 grain BTHP, 37.0 of IMR 4895 or 39.0 of IMR 4320
3) WW brass, CCI 200, Hornady 100 grain BTSP, 44.0 of IMR 7828
4) WW brass, RP 9 1/2, Hornady 87 grain SP, 41.0 of WW 760
5) WW brass, RP 9 1/2, Speer 90 grain SP, 46.0 of IMR 7828

All these are shot through my kid's M788 Remmy with the 18.5 inch snubnose tube. I shot them all in an M700 ADL synthetic (wife's rifle) and a 26 inch barreled M700 VLS; no problems in any and very good to excellent accuracy. I shoot what I post and try to give an accurate data source to reference so I'm not shooting with my keypad. CB.
Old March 28, 2009, 08:38 AM   #15
SATCH487

THANKS

Thanks Guys For All The Great Info. This A Great Web Site For Reloading Thanks Again.
Old March 28, 2009, 09:06 AM   #16
James R. Burke

For deer the 100 grain Nosler Partition is hard to beat, if your willing to pay the bucks for them, but there are alot of good ones out there for deer.
Old March 28, 2009, 09:46 PM   #17
dnunn

I have a savage model 14 and have been working with Hornady 87gr vmax and IMR4007SSC at 40-41gr with good results. Just target shooting though.
Old March 29, 2009, 12:16 AM   #18
10 Spot Terminator

Hello Satch47,

I have used the Barnes TSX bullets longer than most folks I have ran accross either in or out of forums such as this one. As for the copper fouling being more or less than jacketed bullets I would say the condition of your barrel is the controling factor here. The old Barnes X bullets were pretty bad but not so with the newer bullets. As for the set back being longer consider it GOSPEL not a rumour. The least amount of set back I have been able to get away with is .040 and most nearly dead on the .050 that is recommended by Barnes. These bullets have extreme terminal performance and great weight retention but the only trade off is they lose stored energy and speed just a very slight bit over lead core bullets. I personally prefer them myself as I have found I am able to use lighter bullets with terminal performance equal to other brands of bullets weighing more which allows me flatter trajectories and great accuracy to boot. If you web surf a bit you can find testimonials from African safari guides and such who give great reviews on the perfomance of these bullets. Of note I use the 85 gr. TSX in my .243 with H414 ,,,
Old March 29, 2009, 05:28 PM   #19
SATCH487

243 Loads

Ok Guys Just Got Back From Shooting My First Set Of Handloads Out Of My Model 10 Savage And I Have Experienced My First Problem If You Can Call It One. I Have Found That This Gun Likes About Anything It Shoots. I Shot Four Sets Of Reloads Out Of It With The Worst Being H414, 65gr Vmax, Then Imr4350, 70gr Bt, Imr4350, 65gr Vmax, Varget, 65 Vmax. It Really Liked The Varget And The Imr4350 With A 65 Gr Vmax You Can Cover Both With A Dime At 100yds. I Guess This Is A Good Problem, I'm Not Complaining. I'm Just A Rookie At Reloading So What Would You Do. Thanks Again For The Input.
Old March 30, 2009, 12:40 AM   #20
olddrum1

Sure hate to be a dog or cat at your house!!!!!
Old March 30, 2009, 02:59 PM   #21
T. O'Heir

"...first set of handloads..." Those bullets are fine for varmint, but not for deer hunting. Varmint bullets are designed to expand rapidly upon impact with little penetration. Deer bullet penetrate as they expand.
Work up a deer load(85 grain bullets and up) and use it for varmints too.
I'd toss a coin over which powder betwen Varget and IMR4350.
Why are you capitalizing every word?
Old March 30, 2009, 03:23 PM   #22
James R. Burke

For deer I would stick with the 100 grain bullets. Like I said for deer it is pretty hard to beat the Nosler 100 grain partitions but they do cost alot. There are alot of good ones out there for deer.