The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 24, 2009, 11:23 PM   #1
Singlesix1954

Anyone dropping hoggs?

Planning a hog hunt soon and with a "shoot till your out of ammo, then go to town and get more" order from the ranch owner, I'm planning on bringing more than one sidearm. So I was wondering if anyone here has been using sliders on piggs.
Old March 25, 2009, 07:24 AM   #2
srt 10 jimbo

got one last month, Used my Marlin 336 .35 cal though.
Old March 25, 2009, 07:39 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I know 2 guys who are good enuff on runners that they can stand there ground (I climb the nearest tree) one swears by his .40 Glock and the other uses a Delta Elite 10mm... From the sounds of the shooting instructions, you are doing a service. The farmer may not want you wasting time tracking hogs as he will find them under the circling buzzards later. Keep this in mind. I hope you drop 'em all clean but if not move on to the next one!
Brent
Old March 25, 2009, 05:29 PM   #4
sawrecker

I dropped one this year but used my GP100. I have thought about using my 40 with some 180 or 200 gr Double Taps in it and see how it dose. I have some of their 180 HP's that seem pretty stout, but I would really like to shoot their 200gr Controlled Exp. JHP
The rest of us can count on bein' free."Merle Hagard"
Old March 25, 2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Ben

Call me a sheltered city-boy, but what's the point of shooting as many hogs as you want? What do the people typically do with them? How did they get out of hand in the first place? Is a service being done by ridding them?

Like I said, new at recreational killing.
Ben

Last edited by Ben; March 25, 2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old March 25, 2009, 06:06 PM   #6
azredhawk44

Ben, hogs get into crops just like any other thief. Foxes in the henhouse, deer in the corn, and so on.

With no predators to keep them down, they'll get to be a big old pack after a couple of years. Thin them down and you've got a couple years reprieve till they come back.

ETA: We don't have hogs in AZ, just javelina. Baby hogs, about 50 pounds. I've heard of lettuce farmers in the Yuma area potting them with .223, though you still legally need a game tag even if they're in your crops.

To the OP: no extermination experience with an autoloader. Good hunting, though!
Old March 25, 2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Mark whiz

I've taken down hogs (or witnessed them go down) with .357Mag, .45ACP, and even my .44cal 1858Rem black powder revolver. I'm talking sows and boars from 80lb to 325lb.

Some went right to the ground and some refused to acknowledge that they were already dead and continued to run or fight................it's just the luck of the draw vs the orneriness of the critter.
!
Old March 25, 2009, 06:53 PM   #8
DarthTedd

I've never been but watched a show on Discovery this week called "Pig Bomb". I had no clue these ferrel hogs were so out of control. Interesting stuff!

Last edited by DarthTedd; March 25, 2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old March 25, 2009, 07:09 PM   #9
daferg2

I'm not a "sheltered city boy", but the closest thing to taking down a hog for me is the BLT I had for breakfast.

I don't think I'd want to face one with ANY handgun. I'd prefer a tree stand and a rifle. You guys are much braver than I am (or crazy. Take your pick)
Old March 25, 2009, 07:19 PM   #10
sawrecker

you need some hog meat to mix in with venison for some awesome sausage. deer by itself is too lean, about a 50 50 mix. then take the back strap cut it down the middle long way lay in jalapeno peppers and onion, wrap some bacon around it and slow cook it on the grill........
The rest of us can count on bein' free."Merle Hagard"
Old March 25, 2009, 07:41 PM   #11
Ben

I prefer Arby's.

Ben
Old March 25, 2009, 07:53 PM   #12
pacerdude

I have never personally been hogg hunting, but my friend takes his Beretta 92 chambered in 9mm with him.
Old March 25, 2009, 07:56 PM   #13
chris in va

Quote:
Call me a sheltered city-boy, but what's the point of shooting as many hogs as you want?
Not necessarily 'recreational' killing, but also a service. I read a thing in the paper about the out of control wild hog population in Texas, and land owners are begging hunters to thin the herd, so to speak.
Old March 25, 2009, 08:17 PM   #14
Tex S

Quote:
Quote:
Call me a sheltered city-boy, but what's the point of shooting as many hogs as you want?

Not necessarily 'recreational' killing, but also a service. I read a thing in the paper about the out of control wild hog population in Texas, and land owners are begging hunters to thin the herd, so to speak.
Its true. We have a place in Jacksboro, TX that has been overrun with hogs. Never hunted them with a pistol, but I wouldnt reccommend it. I wouldnt feel safe using anything smaller than a 223. Those hogs are mean if they feel threatened.

I had a buddy that hunted em with German Shepards, and I mean German Shepards only. No pistol, no knife. A 300lb boar ended up laying his leg wide open and killing one of his dogs one night. He was lucky to make it to the hospital. I might add that this fella has securely harvested many hogs using the same technique. Not me though... no way.

They do also create problems around the ranch. Big boars are capable of knocking down deer feeders and tossing the 50 gal drum full of corn around like a toy. Thats 350lbs of weight when the feeder is full.

If you take your pistol be careful...
Old March 25, 2009, 08:52 PM   #15
Jason_G

Hog Gun:

If you do decide to carry a pistol only, get something stout. A 10mm with some hunting loads would be my choice if I had to rely on a sidearm alone.
Hogs are not steel plated, they can be dropped with a .22 if shot placement is good; but if it's not good, things can get ugly fast. Get something with some "umph".

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old March 25, 2009, 09:01 PM   #16
Hirlau

Tex S said...

"I had a buddy that hunted em with German Shepards, and I mean German Shepards only. No pistol, no knife. A 300lb boar ended up laying his leg wide open and killing one of his dogs one night. He was lucky to make it to the hospital. I might add that this fella has securely harvested many hogs using the same technique. Not me though... no way."

Hogdogs,
Looks like Tex's buddies needs to borrow a couple of your dogs
I think I saw a photo of two of them you posted a few weeks ago. Could they hold a 300lb hog?
Old March 25, 2009, 09:04 PM   #17
Singlesix1954

Ok you so far have agreed with my wife that I am crazy...so we have that out of the way. Some say 9mm, others say 40S&W, another suggested 10mm. I like that. Anyone use a 45acp, 38 super, or 375 sig.? As Texas is a 38 super territory I thought someone would have a report on it's performance. Anyway keep the views comming. I will have a .480 ruger wheelgun as the main hunter but want to take a slide for BUG. To me the 45acp is a good choice but I have one and need an exuse to buy a new cal. Thanks!
Old March 25, 2009, 09:07 PM   #18
bluetopper

They are thick and a nuisance around here in NE Texas. If you see one you can bet 20 or more are very close. They stay in large packs.
The creek/river bottoms are full of them.
Old March 25, 2009, 09:09 PM   #19
freakintoguns

i also saw that pig bomb show last nite. i was amazed at how much of a problem they are. really need to get my hands ona semi auto shotgun and a couple three more magaziens for my XD 45 and look for soem rancher round here wantin rid of em!
Old March 25, 2009, 09:14 PM   #20
daferg2

Ok, if I was on the ground and only had a pistol, I'd want something like this:

Maybe not EXACTLY what you had in mind, but 30 rounds of .223 ought to do the trick!
Old March 25, 2009, 10:02 PM   #21
pacerdude

On second thought boars are mean as all get outs, so i would reconsider the 9mm i suggested earlier as my friend first shoots them with his rifle. Maybe a faster round like a 357sig or 10mm.

P.S. Good Luck!
Old March 25, 2009, 10:34 PM   #22
azredhawk44

Quote:
Ok you so far have agreed with my wife that I am crazy...so we have that out of the way. Some say 9mm, others say 40S&W, another suggested 10mm. I like that. Anyone use a 45acp, 38 super, or 375 sig.? As Texas is a 38 super territory I thought someone would have a report on it's performance. Anyway keep the views comming. I will have a .480 ruger wheelgun as the main hunter but want to take a slide for BUG. To me the 45acp is a good choice but I have one and need an exuse to buy a new cal. Thanks!
Trick out that .45 auto as a .45 Super or .460 Rowland. 230-250gr hard cast lead at 1100fps or faster. Not quite .44magnum, but pretty respectable. Cheaper than a new gun, too.
Old March 25, 2009, 10:35 PM   #23
azredhawk44

Jason G: That's what my hog rifle would be too. If I had hog to hunt.

Wish I was closer to nuisance pig populations in Texas... sigh.
Old March 25, 2009, 10:41 PM   #24
Catfishman

My neighbor hunts them with Pit Bulls. After the dogs grab the hog he handcuffs them and brings them home. He feeds them out on corn for a few weeks and then butchers them.

Most wild hogs around here are killed with a .22. They are lured into a trap made of wire panel fencing. The opening is kind of like a fish trap. Sometimes the pen is full of hogs. I have seen a truck squated down with dozens of dead hogs.

BTW - I would rather eat boiled chitterlings than wild hog.:barf:
Old March 25, 2009, 10:48 PM   #25
kwells6

when I get the chance to go, I normally carry my cz52loaded with some nasty 90gr hollow points I buy