The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 24, 2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Neil2470

CZ-USA O/U Woodcock

I recently posted about wanting to buy a new shotgun for skeet and clay shooting. I am a beginner so I don't want to spend a fortune. If I get hooked I will dropped serious money in the future but for now my price range is $900. Looking around I found the CZ-USA O/U Woodcock in 12ga. with a 28 inch barrel and I really liked the way it looked and the specs it offered. Has anyone bought or shot this gun? With the research I have done I feel it would make a good shotgun for me considering what I will be using it for.

Any Opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all
Old March 24, 2009, 11:14 PM   #2
MatchKingMK

Are you set on a double? There are alot of very nice semis out there for less money. You can get a very fine shooting used Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard for around 500 or so. That's what I use for skeet and trap and I find it to be one of the most natural pointing shotguns I have ever held.

Just my oppinion
Old March 24, 2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Neil2470

I'm not set on a double and am actually looking at semi's as well its just that when I think O/U I thinks skeet shooting. I don't hunt so skeet and clay shooting would really be the only thing I would use it for. I am open to suggestions but I want one that is mainly for skeet shooting at a lower price point
Old March 24, 2009, 11:35 PM   #4
MatchKingMK

My issue with the CZ shotguns is they are mad in Turkey and have some issues I looked a 20ga a while back and after reading online about em decided against it. If you can find on check out the AL390 they made several models but the Silver/Gold Mallard have beautiful wood and a load of chokes that fit em. You won't be sorry.
Old March 24, 2009, 11:40 PM   #5
MatchKingMK

By the way the 390 was my first Beretta and my first semi auto and I now own the 390 an Xtrema2 and a 1201FP (all berettas) as well as a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2. The other real nice semi I would suggest is a Franchi 720 Raptor. Beautiful gun. I would suggest ANY of these over a Remington semi of any kind. There are no o-rings to break no adjustments to be made for different size shells just make sure your follow you shotguns labeling.

Best of luck Hope this is helpful
Old March 24, 2009, 11:49 PM   #6
Neil2470

Have any of you used the A390 or other semi's of equal value for clay or skeet shooting? How has that been. I am basically at the point where I don't want to make a bad investment and as much as I don't want to wait, I will if I can't get a quality gun at the $900 price point.

Tags
cz-usa , shotgun , woodcock