The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 24, 2009, 07:33 PM   #1
BlayGlock

Why Ruger is better than Smith & Wesson

In my humble opinion
I know sneaky right...
And as it specifically referes to the Smith 686 vs the GP100.

Recently I decided to start shooting IDPA SSR division and I posted a question about which revolver I would be better off with. After all the great answers and much soul searching (and waiting on my pusher..er gun dealer to get a GP100 in) it came down to this: which one feels better in the hand.
There are countless forums comparing these two fine revolvers. The forums I read came down to the consensus that it was really 6 one way 1/2 dozen the other, that they were comparable in accuracy, fit, finish ect.

So I took both of them (NIB) out of the case and held them.

Hands down the Ruger had the better trigger, even the proprietor agreed that this was the case.
It also had a better balance in my hand.
It also has a more solid build to it, not that the 686 wouldn't last you.
It was $250 cheaper. That’s a lot of clams. Or ammo.

So if you are like me and have been agonizing over this particular decision, go with the GP100, and used the extra on ammo for polishing your skills for IDPA.
Old March 24, 2009, 07:40 PM   #2
JohnPaul

I have the smith 686P 6"...but...

...my boss asked my suggestion on a target .357 and I suggested the
gp100 - he got one. We fired them extensively together, I definately like my smith better, but he liked his ruger better - go figure. God, I love this country we live in

Old March 24, 2009, 07:43 PM   #3
BigDaddy

hmmm, GP100 has a better trigger? Maybe in those examples but My 686 has a fantastic trigger: smooth as oiled glass with a clean break. I have shot many Ruger GP 100's and not one has approached my 686's trigger quality. Don't get me wrong, I love Rugers, but I believe you need more samples to make such a sweeping statement about each model.

--Dave
Old March 24, 2009, 07:49 PM   #4
BlayGlock

I never said that the Smith had a poor trigger, only that the GP was better. I do not see how anyone could go wrong with either of them if they wanted it for SSR.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:00 PM   #5
American Eagle

I will always buy a Smith & Wesson before buying a Ruger. Why? Because Smith & Wesson makes refined and beautiful classic looking revolvers.

Does Ruger make excellent revolvers? Absolutely yes!!! However, I happen to like the classic styling of S&W revolvers better.

Ruger revolvers can probably take more punishment and if I were going to war I would buy a Ruger before a Smith & Wesson. However, for the civilian environment S&W is tough enough and no one can match the stylish looks of a Smith & Wesson (my humble opinion) with lock or no lock.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:11 PM   #6
dgludwig

Quote:
It was $250 cheaper. That’s a lot of clams. Or ammo.
Or rationalization...
Old March 24, 2009, 08:14 PM   #7
BlayGlock

I agree, saving $250 on two similar guns is rational, which would make spending $250 more just because irrational right
Old March 24, 2009, 08:17 PM   #8
armsmaster270

Not a Scientific test but in my Arms Vault at my M.P.Company wa had 1911's and Ruger, Colt and Smith Revolvers the Rugers had by far the worse actions.
I love the actions on my 586 4 and 6 inch BBL's.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:20 PM   #9
Scott5

Hello all,
Well to add more into the mix, I would like to have a GP-100 converted to take a Dan Wesson barrel.

Happy shooting
Scott5
Old March 24, 2009, 08:29 PM   #10
TMackey

No lock.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:29 PM   #11
dahermit

Quote:
It also had a better balance in my hand.
(He is referencing the Ruger.) "Better balance", is misleading. For shooting accuracy, a handgun should have a "muzzle heavy" feeling for steady holding. A Luger (four inch) is an example of a gun that feels good in the hand but is very poorly balanced for accurate shooting. If you put a bull barrel on a Luger, it would not feel good in the hand but would be better suited for accurate shooting. Therefore, when the poster says the Ruger has "better balance" in the hand, does he mean that the 686 feels muzzle heavy? And in fact has the better balance of the two because of the full under lug? In short, does the poster know what good balance is?
Old March 24, 2009, 08:34 PM   #12
cslinger

Geez, why not just come in here and tell people why Jesus could kick Mohammad's butt.

Seriously though the current Rugers have wonderful triggers and I would agree that the several I have handled of recent build (Hogue crappy grips) have better triggers then any of the new Smiths I have handled. I like Smiths but if I had to only pick one it would probably be a GP100.....no stupid hole in the side either (as long as we are kicking the dead horse and smacking that bees nest anyway)
Old March 24, 2009, 08:40 PM   #13
armsmaster270

Balance is subjective it's different to everyone as well as feel.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:41 PM   #14
BlayGlock

I'll clarify that. The Ruger was had a more "muzzel heavy" feel,and is full underlug. If you do a cursory search you will find that people will argue back and forth about these two guns until armageddon, and come to the conclusion that you should go what with what feel best to you. And as far as the "shooting accuracy" of any firearm goes, that is more the user than the gun.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:44 PM   #15
Gun 4 Fun

Well, here's more fuel for the fire

The Smith will always have a higher resale value, and is much nicer looking. The Ruger looks like a mule; strong, but ugly, while the Smith looks like a beautifully groomed Clydesdale; strong and good looking.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:52 PM   #16
Winchester_73

Perhaps the comparison by the OP should be re-written as:

"I tried 1 gp 100 NIB which had a better trigger than this 1 S&W 686 NIB I dry fired"

If you have to post to ask which pistol is better for any given purpose, you should not be posting such nonsense about which one is better when obviously you have no idea.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:59 PM   #17
cslinger

Quote:
If you have to post to ask which pistol is better for any given purpose, you should not be posting such nonsense about which one is better when obviously you have no idea.
are you saying that empirically the Smith is better then the Ruger? I ask because I believe that to be as much an opinion as the OP that the Ruger is better then the Smith.

We are talking about two first rate firearms with long histories and strengths and weaknesses unique to each of them.

Hell when it comes right down to it the Ruger is the more modern, more advanced revolver of the two with a stronger lockup, user dis-assembly and repair is also much easier. This takes nothing away from how good the 686 is but I don't necessarily believe either is empirically better then the other.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:00 PM   #18
ATW525

I love my 686, but then I don't shoot IDPA so my 686 has a seventh chamber that's useless to the IDPA shooter. Admittedly I don't have any GP100 experience, and the one Ruger .357 I do have turned out to be a .45.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:00 PM   #19
BlayGlock

Woah Winchester, no need to get butthurt. I obviously do have an idea becaue I was the one who handeled the two. The gunsmith in the shop agreed with me that of these two particular models the Ruger had the nicer trigger, in our opinion. Thats all it is, an opinion.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:01 PM   #20
MikeinLA

Funny, I WANTED to buy a GP100 to save money, but bought the 686 because it felt so perfect in my hand. Different strokes, I guess. I'm going through the same decision now with .44 mag . The Model 29 feels perfect, but I can't find a Ruger to try out. I love my 686 and did I mention? It's a Smith & Wesson.

Mike
Old March 24, 2009, 09:06 PM   #21
hoytinak

My father and I always get into this too. When it comes to revolvers, I myself have always picked a Ruger while he as always gotten a S&W. It just comes down to personal preference.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:08 PM   #22
cslinger

I think my Rugers are plenty purty. Besides your horse is missing it's government mandated bit, saddle and must be tied up to the fence when not in use. Again, just kidding both are awesome firearms. I have a 686+ that I love as well.

Old March 24, 2009, 09:24 PM   #23
BlayGlock

Mike. I like the Smith 629 over the Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag. I had the 629 and my bud has the Redhawk. The trigger on the 629 was better . And lets face it, Dirty Harry carried the 29, and if its good enough for him it is good enough for anyone.

I agree that the Smith is more aethetically pleasing.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:25 PM   #24
Webleymkv

It's all a matter of how your hands are shaped and what you're used to. My first revolver was a S&W M28 that fit my large, long-fingered hands like a glove. I've become accustomed to the way a S&W sits in my hand, the way the cylinder latch operates, and the looks so that's my preference and S&W now dominates my revolver collection (I do own one Colt and one H&R, but the other three are S&W). I did, at one time, own a Ruger Redhawk which was a fine quality that was both accurate and reliable and, thanks to the previous owner's gunsmith, had a wonderful trigger. It never felt quite right in my hand though and I couldn't ever quite get used to the cylinder latch. It was eventually sold to my younger brother, whose first handgun was a Ruger Security Six, as Rugers are what he likes, what he is used to, and what fits his shorter-fingered hands better. The Redhawk was replaced in my collection with a 629 and all is right with the world now.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:31 PM   #25
Gazzmann

I have both Rugers and Smith & Wessons and love all of them. Just about the finest wheel guns made.
Closed Thread