The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 24, 2009, 05:03 PM   #1
MIR

CZ-97 Grip size question

though I consider myself to have fairly small hands, the CZ-P01,SP-01,CZ-75, 1911, SIG220 all fit me just fine.

In comparison,how does the CZ97 grip size compare??
Old March 24, 2009, 05:21 PM   #2
DBAR

In a word .... BIG!
Old March 24, 2009, 05:24 PM   #3
DBAR

Dude,

The 97 has a much larger grip. I love my CZ's, but the 97 wasn't comfortable at all. The 75 and 85 grip is considerably smaller. The angle is almost the same, but it's just too damn big for me.
Old March 24, 2009, 05:42 PM   #4
DarthTedd

It's large ... I bought one recently & find it to be very comfortable but if you have smaller hands it could be an issue.

Here's my post.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=339672

Old March 24, 2009, 07:32 PM   #5
chris in va

The 97 is a double stack gun with a wide grip, IMO similar to the Beretta 92's size. I have large hands and it filled in quite nicely.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:21 PM   #6
schmeky

MIR,

If you have < a medium hand size and want a CZ pattern gun in .45, the only choice is the Witness .45. The Witness mag holds 10 rounds, has a grip frame size nearly identical to the CZ-75 series, will reliably feed virtually any hollow-point bullet (which the CZ-97 can't do), is quite a bit cheaper, and has a deeply curved trigger that accomodates shorter fingers.

Since the Witness is physically the same size as the 75 series, you have a better chance for occassional concealed carry, which is not an option on the 97.

I have a 97 and a Witness .45.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:38 PM   #7
MIR

Looks like I really need to try one on for size

Anyone here have one I can look at, located here in the upstate of SC?
Old March 27, 2009, 01:54 PM   #8
MIR

Finally.........

My dealer called me out of the blue today and said he got a 97 in today for a customer. So before the customer could get over there, I went by there and looked at it and most importantly I was able to fondle it.

It fit my hands just fine. It is a chunky gun but it is designed right, its a "good chunky" gun.

Soooo it looks like the CZ-97 is now in the crosshairs as my next purchase.

Wonder if I should wait to see if the boys at CZ come out with a tactical model..............
Old March 27, 2009, 02:26 PM   #9
darrentxs

I have medium size hands and fired three CZ-97s during one range trip. The grip was on the bulky side but I'm used to doube stack pistols. (Para Ordnance, & BHP mainly, but also Glock & Beretta) It wasn't overly big for me but definitely bigger than my usual. I didn't find them uncomfortable.

The only issue was my thumb could barely reach the slide release. To me that was minor, I just used the thumb on my support hand or racked the slide.

Would I get one? Heck yes! The groupings I was able to get with those were very small and right in the bull ring with the factory fixed sights. No malfunctions encountered.

Great guns!
Old March 27, 2009, 02:46 PM   #10
MIR

darrentxs,
We must have about the same size hands then. I can even barley touch the slide release with my thumb either, even on my SP-01 and 1911 though they both feel just fine in my hands. Like you, I have always used my support hand thumb,its closer to it anyway.
Queit frankly, I think the SP-01 feels nearly identical to the 97 both in feel of the grip and weight. I didnt notice hardly any difference at all.
Old March 27, 2009, 02:53 PM   #11
DBAR

Quote:
Wonder if I should wait to see if the boys at CZ come out with a tactical model..............
MIR,

I've waited for years hoping that they'd come out with a tactical model that had a little smaller grip. It obviously never has happened. I don't think they have many plans to change the 97. I think they focus on the 9mm since it's a European caliber as well as a US caliber.
Old March 27, 2009, 03:03 PM   #12
MIR

DBAR,
Your probably right...I may just go ahead when I can afford to that is, get me the 97 polycoat with decocker.

I think this CZ thing is addictive...... Started with the P-01(which I absolutly love) and just yesterday I got my SP-01 and cant wait to get it out to the range, now I am already looking into a 97. And I still havent bought me a 75 yet, which mind you was the first CZ I ever shot.

Is this signs of addiction????? Do I need help???/
Old March 27, 2009, 03:43 PM   #13
jazzmanDK

Location: Tampa Bay South (Just outside St Petersburg) Florida
Addiction to CZ's

As a first step in dealing with your CZ addiction ship your SP01 and P01 to me posthaste. The CZ addiction is insidious, and getting rid of the SP and the P will go a long way to admitting you are powerless over your addiction.

I have a similar addiction: I never met a snubby revo I didn't like......

Enjoy!

Zip
Old March 28, 2009, 08:57 PM   #14
ROCK6

I don't know. I have a CZ-97 and shoot my issued Beretta M9 as often as a I can (free ammo). I have medium sized hands and don't find the CZ97 stock grips too bad. I spend the $80+ on the slim aluminum grips and while they are flatter, they are actually more uncomfortable than the stock wood grips. I'm tempted to sand my wood grips down like Darth Tedd (they look awesome by the way!). A little more range time, but the CZ97 really isn't that much bigger than what most people suggest...yeah, it's a big piece of steel, but the ergo's aren't that bad with stock grips.

ROCK6
Old March 29, 2009, 12:31 AM   #15
Douglas Chesson

CZ 97

Two years ago there was one at a local retailer and I really wanted it. I took my medium sized hands there, tried it and passed. I went back, tried it again and passed. I went back, tried it again trying to convince myself I could make it work. Then I realized holding and operating it was like riding a motorcycle. Starting from double action pull I had to shift my hand to the right (lean to the right), in single action I could just square away my hand and reach the cocked trigger (centerline on the straights), but to reach the mag release I had to shift my hand to the left (lean to the left). I passed again and reconciled myself that I cannot ergonomically handle that pistol. I've since bought a SA XD Tactical 45 that simply fits and shoots great.
Old January 17, 2012, 06:37 PM   #16
id64

I have also both 92 fs and CZ 97. Very similar in size and grip:

My babes

Old January 17, 2012, 07:16 PM   #17
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Since the Witness is physically the same size as the 75 series, you have a better chance for occassional concealed carry, which is not an option on the 97.
The old Witness .45/10mm models and all of the new Witnesses are not physically the same size as the 75. They are somewhat larger and based on the LARGE Tanfoglio frame, while the small frame Witnesses guns -- now discontinued -- are close copies of the CZ-75 line in terms of size.

The Witness .45, however, does have a noticeably smaller grip than the CZ-97. I once had a CZ-97, an ASAI One Pro, and a Witness .45 all at the same time; the ASAI and Witness worked for me, but the CZ-97 was just too large. Both the ASAI and Witness were based on the Tanfoglio large frame.
Old January 17, 2012, 09:27 PM   #18
Micahweeks

I don't find it bad at all. I have large hands, but my wife has shot one, too, and she has small hands. She handles it like a champ.
Old January 18, 2012, 05:56 AM   #19
chris in va

Not bad, three year thread resurrection.