The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 23, 2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Automatic

Wants to buy a Magazine fed shotgun

Hi guys I want to know is there any magazine fed shot gun , could u name some top of the line magazine fed shotguns
Old March 23, 2009, 07:26 PM   #2
4INCHSMITH

I'm assuming that you mean a rifle style magazine? Not a typical tubular magazine that runs underneath the barrel?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=125341464

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=124758928

I have also heard about kits to convert some Mossberg pump shotguns to accept box magazines, but I can't recall what company made them or where to find them.
Old March 23, 2009, 07:54 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Mossberg bolts were a venerable box mag gun but limited to 2 or 3, +1
Brent
Old March 23, 2009, 08:26 PM   #4
chris in va

Saiga.
Old March 23, 2009, 08:27 PM   #5
colostomyclown

saiga is the most easily available. there are some other imported guns, like a MAG7, but they are a bit tough to track down and can be pricey. you may be able to find a knoxx sidewinder kit that'll use a box mag in conjunction with your pump, but be prepared to fork over the moolah for one!
Old March 29, 2009, 11:03 PM   #6
Gazzmann

Got an old Marlin 12 gauge bolt action with a three shot magazine.
The recoil is brutal.
John
Old March 31, 2009, 01:00 AM   #7
spikespeigel

Auto Assault 12... youtube it and tell me if that'll work for you...
Old March 31, 2009, 01:51 AM   #8
squeak003

the saiga shot gun is the easiest to get your hands on......they make them in 12g, 20g, and 4.10. prices range from around $400 - $700 depending

they also make a saiga rifle in .223, 7.62, and .308

here is a pic of my 20g to show ya what they look like when u open the box and stick the mag in.

i found a good package for a saiga 12 for $600

here is a link to it......just scroll down the page......first is the saiga rifle then a little farther down is the s-12
http://www.classicarms.us/
Old April 3, 2009, 09:53 PM   #9
PoorSoulInJersey

I just picked up a Saiga 12, and it is the coolest thing I've ever shot in my life.

The recoil is not bad at all and it actually has a bolt hold-open on it (not the magazine, but close enough to be an improvement over the standard AK)
Old April 4, 2009, 07:08 PM   #10
Csspecs

I have a saiga. Kinda cool.

I guess its nice to be able to unload and reload again without having to mess with the magazine tube.

I think the saiga is a good shotgun but it's hardly anything hugely special, it still uses shotgun shells and still has a open pattern like any other shotgun. I've used mine a lot for the past few years and have done stuff I never would have with my other guns (Like swapped to a rifle just dropping it in the grass).

I can't really point out any huge advantage with a magazine. I can reload a tube mag pretty fast. Maybe a little better with gloves instead of messing with the shells.

Mossberg bolt guns are kinda cool to, shot one with a rifled barrel using slugs... That was painful.

Last edited by Csspecs; April 4, 2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old April 4, 2009, 07:20 PM   #11
OLNfan

http://www.wanstalls.com/Tactical-Sh...1018-full.html

This is the only magazine fed shotgun I have ever seen and iv only seen one of them in our gun shops up here. In my firearm shops no one carrys saigas (b.c. Canada) may sound werid I dunno but I guess they just dont sell up here.
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."
Old April 4, 2009, 07:22 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

OLN, Can that gun be used as a tube fed gun if the magazine is removed?
Brent
Old April 4, 2009, 07:42 PM   #13
.351winchester

Those Valtros used to be really cheap a few years back.
EAA once imported a side folding pump that took 12 ga. 'naner clips. There was also the rare SPAS 15, USAS-12 looking but IIRC it escaped a Destructive Device classification. Todays converted Saigas particularly with now affordable 20 rd. drums, are ten times the weapon of the infamous Street Sweeper (a big DAO revolver featuring SA revolver loading/unloading).

OLN-Do you guys have restrictions on barrel length up there?

Hogdogs-Have you looked into the (short lived) Knoxx Sidewinder for your Mossbergs?
Old April 4, 2009, 07:45 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The sidewinder used is up near 600 or a thousand bucks IIRC from google searches... Like I am gonna strap one of these...

To a $200 dollar gun...
Brent
Old April 4, 2009, 08:09 PM   #15
Dave_Shotgun

Quote:
Hi guys I want to know is there any magazine fed shot gun , could u name some top of the line magazine fed shotguns
I am also planning on buying a magazine fed shot gun, after I get my firearms licence of course (I'm Canadian eh). Here is the gun that I'm planning on buying. It's manufactured in China, but people have said that it's pretty well built. And for only $349 Canadian, it's pretty good value.

http://www.canadaammo.com/product.ph...0&cat=3&page=1
Old April 13, 2009, 08:47 AM   #16
.351winchester

I got a Saiga 12 Friday. Wasn't planning it, was looking at a Supernova Tactical in the absence of a 930 SPX (real hard to get here, these days). 600. and I'm keeping it as is for now, like Squeak's above. Picked up a couple 12, yes 12 round magazines with it at 60 each. No pics yet, still on a gun buying spree but will have good photos soon. This is a cool shotgun I could not say no to.
Old April 13, 2009, 02:17 PM   #17
TacticalDefense1911

Depending on what you are really looking for (hunting, sport, home protection) I've owned two of the most readily available magazine shotguns; Saiga-12 and the Mossberg 210 bolt-action slug gun.

I just picked up the Saiga and it is a blast. Based on the proven AK action it shoots anything from high base magnum loads to low base target loads without a problem. You have your choice of 5, 8, 10, 12 magazines or 20 round drums. These guns have a lot of aftermarket parts for them to convert them from a sporterized version to more of an assault shotgun.

If you are interested in a slug gun then the Mossberg 210 is about the only one I know of with a magazine. Its not detachable and only holds two shells so there is not much advantage to it other than if you are looking for a bolt action. The recoil is pretty darn brutal; even with a long eye relief shotgun scope I still caught the thing in the face every time I shot it from a rest. I finally learned my lesson and sold it. Heck of an accurate gun and pretty well made if you can get past the recoil.
Old April 13, 2009, 11:45 PM   #18
OLNfan

Hey Brent I have no idea, it certinaly is possible, a black smith could have some fun with that.

351winchester- barrel lenghts I use to think it was 18'' but now after looking around I dont know any more, showing guns that are avalible in canada at 12-15'' shotgun barrels. But if a RCMP sees it I dbout youll get it back. I got pulled over this weekend in the bush 4-5 hrs away from home weekend hunting trip (A solid 5+towns away from mine). They took two of my shotguns and my friends rifle. (luckily at the trailer I left my 45-70 so I could still hunt the next few day) BUT I went to the station the next day at 7pm and the female rcmp was getting pretty mad about my mossberg 500 with the ar-retatable stock she sat there and checked its barrel lenght, tube capacity, etc even ran it through the system to see if any one held up a store latley with a black shotgun, asked me where I boughit..she wasnt a fan of it I guess cause it looks very tatical even though I dont have any add on's to it. In the end I got my friend and my guns back except 1 of my shotguns, a single shot break barrel shotgun I bought 10 days ago and registerd it online and it when they ran its registery it was still registerd to the man I bought it from (gun smith) and his words were (phone call) "I might of sold a shotgun, but I have bad paper work so I dont know, dont think anythings stolen though" which didnt help so much still. long story short my shotgun is at a police station 4-5 hrs away that I bought for 60bucks, driving up there and back cost more than how much I paid for the thing, Im certinaly considering leaving it up there but perhaps Ill make another black bear hunting trip up there within 2 months to get it back. (when I get the papers in the mail for proof its mine cause it doesnt show its registerd to me on the internet)

Long story short, when I go hunting I will ALWAYS bring my papers showing its mine. (its not mandatory but I dont trust our BULL sh*t registery system any more)
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."

Last edited by OLNfan; April 14, 2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old April 14, 2009, 10:57 PM   #19
6x6pinz

Saiga in the major gauges or for something different, I really like my Safir T14 although only curently availabe in 410 (which I prefer) great slug gun.