The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 22, 2009, 07:40 PM   #1
45_Shooter

Best replacement barrel for Glocks?

Anyone have a preference one way or another? I really just want to be able to shoot lead bullets out of my G17 and G21 without worrying about cleaning out the lead fouling all the time.

I'm thinking KKM, Bar-sto, Storm Lake, etc. After hearing that Lone Wolf is made in China I think I'll stay away even though their pricing is very nice.

What do you all use in your Glocks?
Old March 22, 2009, 08:13 PM   #2
jgcoastie

EFK

I use EFK Firedragon National Match barrels in my G20SF (10mm) and G22 (.40S&W). Picked them up on gunbroker from a company in AZ - Southwest Weapons and Accessories. They handle both lead and jacketed rounds. My groups tightened up considerably as well. The chamber is also fully supported which eliminates the "Glock bulge" typical of cases fired from factory barrels. They're a little more expensive than other brands, but the quality is much better IMO. Also, I haven't had any feeding failures in either barrel.

Best of luck.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old March 22, 2009, 08:26 PM   #3
vox rationis

Quote:
I use EFK Firedragon National Match barrels in my G20SF (10mm) and G22 (.40S&W). Picked them up on gunbroker from a company in AZ - Southwest Weapons and Accessories. They handle both lead and jacketed rounds. My groups tightened up considerably as well. The chamber is also fully supported which eliminates the "Glock bulge" typical of cases fired from factory barrels. They're a little more expensive than other brands, but the quality is much better IMO. Also, I haven't had any feeding failures in either barrel.

Best of luck.
Old March 22, 2009, 08:48 PM   #4
jgcoastie

Yes they are drop-ins designed as factory replacement barrels. They're available in various lengths and styles as well (ported, etc).
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:27 PM   #5
ScaryWoody

I have a Storm Lake .357sig for my Glock 23, no issues fits like a glove. I don't use it for carry though.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:43 PM   #6
tom234

LWD works for me.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:55 PM   #7
mssurrey

I have a 9mm and a .357sig both by Lone Wolf for my g22. Bought them a couple of weeks ago.

Drop in barrels. Very accurate and seem to be finished well. No issues so far with 200 rounds down each

I did polish the feed ramps but then again I do that with ALL my barrels (no matter if they are factory or aftermarket barrels).
Old March 25, 2009, 01:20 PM   #8
vox rationis

Quote:
I have a 9mm and a .357sig both by Lone Wolf for my g22. Bought them a couple of weeks ago.

Drop in barrels. Very accurate and seem to be finished well. No issues so far with 200 rounds down each

I did polish the feed ramps but then again I do that with ALL my barrels (no matter if they are factory or aftermarket barrels).
What mags do you use to shoot 9mm out of your G22?

And exactly what kind of accuracy are we talking about?

Thanks

p.s. any reliability issues with these barrels with the better chamber support (in .40S&W)?

p.s.s. and how about the POI differences when you switch barrels, or do you have adjustable sights?

Last edited by vox rationis; March 25, 2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old March 25, 2009, 01:23 PM   #9
flight954

Jarvis
Old March 25, 2009, 07:51 PM   #10
45_Shooter

It looks like most of the replacement barrels are pretty similar in terms of customer satisfaction so far. I'd like to stay away from Lone Wolf just because I don't like sending my money to China, otherwise it seems like they're a pretty good bargain.
Old March 25, 2009, 07:53 PM   #11
Alleykat

You wouldn't be sending your money to China, you'd be sending it to JR and his family. I can assure you they're REAL Americans. Nothing wrong with the Lone Wolf barrels. I use one in my G20, and it's great. I don't suppose any of your money went to China relative to the computer that you used for visiting this forum??
Old March 25, 2009, 08:33 PM   #12
45_Shooter

Quote:
I don't suppose any of your money went to China relative to the computer that you used for visiting this forum??
In that case you are correct. However, when there is a choice to choose between a company that outsources for cost reduction, and a company that manufactures in a Western country in order to provide a higher quality product to their consumers, I will support the company that does not outsource if I am at all able to do so.

The companies that do not outsource often accept less profit margin and less sales volume in order to produce that higher quality product, and I wish to encourage those companies to continue this practice.

I have nothing against Lone Wolf products at all, in fact they seem to be a good bargain. But my intent with the thread was to compare the barrels manufactured in Western countries since that is what I am interested in buying.
Old March 26, 2009, 08:37 AM   #13
Alleykat

No doubt, a fitted Bar-Sto barrel would be superior, at least accuracy-wise, to a Lone Wolf barrel. I don't know where Lone Wolf barrels are made. If they're made in China, that's fine with me.
Old March 26, 2009, 07:46 PM   #14
oldcspsarge

Lone Wolf Barrels are NOT made in China. They are made in the USA.

I wonder what motivates someone to post such a slanderous statement.

Lone Wolf has long been a quality supplier of Glock parts and accessories.

Are there other barrels to choose from..yes. At least Lone Wolf barrels are properly chambered and heat treated barrel to SAMMI specs....which GLOCK made barrels are NOT.

IF you are going to shoot lead or reloads...Lone Wolf barrels are a good choice, especially for the $$$ .
Old March 28, 2009, 10:51 AM   #15
WESHOOT2

not mine

(Mine, a M20, had a Jarvis barrel fitted by Mr. Jarvis.)

KKM
Old March 28, 2009, 01:43 PM   #16
45_Shooter

Quote:
Lone Wolf Barrels are NOT made in China. They are made in the USA.

I wonder what motivates someone to post such a slanderous statement
OK, I had a local gun shop tell me Lone Wolf barrels were made in China (which is believeable although not necessarily true due to their low price point), and there looks like some internet buzz to that effect with not alot of evidence to the contrary.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? If the Lone Wolf barrels are in fact made in the US I probably will buy one just for running lead at the range.
Old March 28, 2009, 03:21 PM   #17
Alleykat

Quote:
Are there other barrels to choose from..yes. At least Lone Wolf barrels are properly chambered and heat treated barrel to SAMMI specs....which GLOCK made barrels are NOT.
That's a truly absurd statement. Only somebody totally ignorant about firearms could make such a ridiculous statement.
Old March 28, 2009, 03:23 PM   #18
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

I have two Lone Wolf barrels in 357sig. They have better chamber support than I have seen on the stock 40cal but somewhat less than the stock 357. They are both accurate and seem very well made.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old March 28, 2009, 03:35 PM   #19
Creature

I was also told that Lone Wolf barrels are imported from China, not the US. Where exactly in the US are they manufactured?
Old March 28, 2009, 03:44 PM   #20
Superhouse 15

KKM

bought a KKM "drop in" Glock barrel for a customer in .45ACP. The chamber was so short a .45 GAP wouldn't even fit in it. I'd use a Lone Wolf, nice people with great service.
Old March 29, 2009, 07:45 PM   #21
Alleykat

Well, after all the verbiage I spouted about my lack of concern about buying from China, I e-mailed JR, owner of Lonewolf and apprised him of this thread. JR says that his barrels are not made in China. He was pretty urinated that anybody'd spread such "crap"(quoting JR) on forums like this.

Feel free to buy Lonewolf's barrels. They're not made in China.
Old March 29, 2009, 08:02 PM   #22
Creature

So where in the US are they made?
Old March 29, 2009, 08:36 PM   #23
curt.45

are the .45 replacement barrels better supported than the factory barrels?
Old March 29, 2009, 09:45 PM   #24
GuateShooter

KKM its a fine piece
Old March 30, 2009, 10:56 AM   #25
Alleykat

Quote:
So where in the US are they made?

Where in China are they made?