The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 22, 2009, 11:22 AM   #1
golfnutrlv

Recommend a Home Defense 20G Shell

Hi everyone, got a question, sure its been discussed before.

Can you recommend a good home defense load for my 20 Gauge?

Winchester Model 1912. As far as I know, 2.5" shells would be fine, but I could be wrong (at work right now, gun is not in front of me) I will update tonight.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old March 22, 2009, 12:04 PM   #2
TxGun

You need buckshot. #2 and #3 buck are commonly available for the 20. But I believe the #2 load is typically 3", so you may have a hard time finding anything but #3 Buck in a 2 3/4" factory load. Just look around. If there is an Academy Sports near you, they usually have it on the shelf. Or google "20 gauge buckshot". You'll find a lot of retail suppliers. Here's just a couple of on-line sources:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...gauge-buckshot

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/66071-5.html

Last edited by TxGun; March 22, 2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old March 22, 2009, 12:14 PM   #3
hoytinak

My father keeps a mix of Remington Express #3 Buckshot and Remington Premier 260gr slugs in is 20ga.
Old March 22, 2009, 12:54 PM   #4
cornbush

Inside a house where the range is short, anything from #8 dove loads to 000 buck is going to be a show stopper.
Old March 22, 2009, 02:16 PM   #5
TxGun

"Inside a house where the range is short, anything from #8 dove loads to 000 buck is going to be a show stopper."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Not always. Depends on what's between you and the intruder. Birdshot can be an unreliable stopper, even at short range. The following thread just one of many examples:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...p?f=7&t=174449

And here's a guy who replicated the incident, sans the leather; this time using buckshot:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...p?f=7&t=174937

Not perfect, but indicative of the vast difference in penetration between birdshot and buckshot.
Old March 22, 2009, 02:56 PM   #6
golfnutrlv

Thanks guys, that link to the 12 gauge comparison is neat. Drives the point home.

Open to other ideas.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old March 22, 2009, 04:07 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My walmart stocks #3 buck and the is the finest shot I would intentionally use for HD. If all I had was 7 1/2 I would use that. 2 3/4 inch shells are what mine are...
Brent
Old March 22, 2009, 07:24 PM   #8
redlevel42

I am certainly not an expert on Winchester shotguns, and I'll gladly defer to someone who is . . . . . . . however, if your gun is indeed a Model 1912, as opposed to a Model 12, you might be correct about the need for 2.5 inch shells. I owned a Model 1912 16 gauge, and it wouldn't reliably handle 2 3/4 inch shells. It would fail to eject them. I don't know exactly what the date for the change from 2 9/16 to 2 3/4 was, but I think most of the guns marked Model 1912 were before the change.

I certainly wouldn't feel too badly under-gunned with a shotgun loaded with 2.5 inch #8 birdshot in a ten yard home defense situation. In fact, given a choice, I would take the 20 gauge birdshot over a .32 Keltec, or a .380 Whatever, and would feel just about as well armed as I would with a good 4" .38 special. I would rather have a 12 gauge with #1 Buckshot, or a .45 250 grain swc, but most threats can be handled very well with your gun and 20 gauge birdshot.

There are instances of every load failing at one time or another. A shotgun loaded with birdshot at 10 yards is a formidable weapon.
Old March 22, 2009, 07:56 PM   #9
golfnutrlv

Redlevel,

My Winchester is most likely before the change. It was manufactured in 1913, and has been in my family for a very long time.

Like you guys mention any #3 Buck in 2.5" ought to make the BG think twice.

Thanks for the help!!!