The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 20, 2009, 10:46 PM   #1
.300 Weatherby Mag

Why?? I mean come on now...

I don't have a problem with someone taking a home defense shotgun out to shoot clays.. Especially if that's all they have... But at least take off the laser and the flashlight.... Saw that today at the skeet range... Also it may be a good idea to wait until you get home before you attempt to re-mount the your tru glow red dot..... Tacticool skeet doesn't work.....
Old March 20, 2009, 10:54 PM   #2
JWT

Must have been quite a sight to see.
Old March 20, 2009, 10:57 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The only thing goofier would be a guy with a .30-06 topped with a 12X50 scope... Tryin to hit dirt birds!
Brent
Old March 20, 2009, 11:08 PM   #4
hoytinak

Why didn't I think of that? It'd be a good way to mess with the hot-shots that think they're better than everyone else cause they use high dollar skeet guns/equipment that shoot skeet around here. Maybe they post on here and did it just to get everyone all riled (is that even a word?) up and see if someone else would start a thread about it? I just might take the 500 to the skeet range tomorrow.
Old March 20, 2009, 11:13 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Hoyt, while I never hoped for a good score, I have gotten on line with my 500 20 gauge and PGO... I hit the occasional disc. Since it is was always impromptu friendly shoots we didn't have a shot limit and I was the first guy to go for long range clay no one hit with my 3-5 shot and picked off a few with accolades from those guys with "classy" guns for not only going for a max range flyer but hitting them now and then...
Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; March 20, 2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: gooten ain't a word...
Old March 20, 2009, 11:15 PM   #6
wyobohunter

If the mall ninja can...

bust clays with the big boys. Props to him. Otherwise... It's still good practice for defensife shotgunning. Even if the gizmos fit in like my Yamaha would at Sturgis...
Old March 20, 2009, 11:19 PM   #7
chris in va

I think they do that just for shock value. My friend used to take his Mossberg Persuader with folding Knoxx stock to the clays range. The looks he got were priceless, especially from the guys shooting $4000 o/u and could only get a 20 while he would get a 24.

They've since added a clause only 26"+ barrels can be used, but it was fun while it lasted.
Old March 21, 2009, 02:55 AM   #8
Invalid Zero

I had my 20" 590 w/GR sights out shooting skeet last weekend. I didn't get weird looks. Granted my father in law and a friend were the only ones out there, but I had as much fun with mine as I did with their 28" guns.
Old March 21, 2009, 07:28 AM   #9
Lee Lapin

Trigger time is trigger time. Put to good use, trigger time is never wasted- of course, IMHO merely converting ammo to noise is not 'trigger time.' If the rulz allow short barrels, (some clubs don't), go for it. Taking off flashlights is a good idea IMHO, if only to save them from recoil battering (even SureFire recommends doing that). Otherwise, run it in the same configuration as you'd run it at home- and do it safely.

lpl
Old March 21, 2009, 10:37 AM   #10
the rifleer

Ive always wanted to take a 590 with a bayonet on it to skeet shoot. I just thought it would be funny to see what people think.
Old March 21, 2009, 07:57 PM   #11
armedandsafe

I remember being skunked many times at clays (not hard to do) by a retired Marine Gunny Sgt. I was trying my best with my Belgian double 16, but he would beat me every time.

With his 1911.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old March 21, 2009, 08:10 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
But at least take off the laser and the flashlight....
Why dress down for you?

What is wrong with practicing with the HD shotgun in the configuration in which he would fire it for home defense?

I would not take off the laser if I was him. Remounting means resighting and there is no reason to go through that just to make some clays guy happy.

I mean, come on! Why are you so worried about how somebody else looks at the range? Are you afraid his setup is going to reflect badly on you?
Old March 21, 2009, 08:21 PM   #13
luvsasmith

To each his own

I would not criticize the guy shooting the $5k gold medallion "see how much better I am than you cause I can drop a months worth of your salary on a gun I shoot exclusively at defenseless, fake clay birds every Saturday" o/u any more than I would the guy shooting his $100 "hey times are tough and this is all I got but would like to train myself in various situations" New England Firearms Pardner single shot shotgun- with or without the tactical light, bayonet, AR stock, night sights, 15 point sling, or red dot.

I'd just be happy someone else loved and appreciated the pass time of shooting as much as I do.
Old March 21, 2009, 08:37 PM   #14
D-E-T-O-X

first time i shot my 590 was at clays at the range.

people didnt like that
Old March 21, 2009, 10:07 PM   #15
Whiteboy67

Would I get laughed at/shooed away for using this shotgun at the range?

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...y/DSCF0006.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...DSCF0009-1.jpg

I'd take off the buttcuff before I went there at least
Old March 21, 2009, 10:18 PM   #16
New_Pollution1086

i love busting clays with my 500, ive used both 28 and 18in barrels and never had a look.

But this is at a regular range not a skeet range.

I think him practicing with it set up for hd will just get him used to the weight and make him a safer shotgunner.

Get off your high horse and have a good time, dont worry about other peoples guns.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old March 21, 2009, 10:48 PM   #17
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
Would I get laughed at/shooed away for using this shotgun at the range?
No you would not...... The gun was a tacticool mall ninja special and so was the shooter....

Quote:
Get off your high horse and have a good time, dont worry about other peoples guns.
high horse?? The guy thought pretty highly of himself and his mall ninja special..... Otherwise I wouldn't have cared...
Old March 22, 2009, 08:26 AM   #18
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
high horse?? The guy thought pretty highly of himself and his mall ninja special..... Otherwise I wouldn't have cared...
Now it get it. You don't actually care that the gun had stuff on it. The problem you have is with the guy thinking highly of his gun and hmself. So your original post was completely misleading because you just complained about the gear and now we know you have a problem with attitudes.

So because you think the guy thought highly of himself and his gun, you feel it is your place to come here and put him down for doing nothing wrong and nothing against you?

Well, at least we are now down to the root of the issue - ego.
Old March 22, 2009, 09:22 AM   #19
longcall911

If there were a better nearby range to shoot his HD shotty and instead he chose the skeet range, yeah he might be a bit goofy. But, there's something to be said for being able to knock down a moving target.

The other end of the spectrum would be the guy who beefs up the SG and then puts it in the corner of the closet. Of the two, the guy on the skeet range will look more foolish, but he'll probably live longer than the guy who leaves his in the closet. :-)

/*tom*/

Last edited by longcall911; March 22, 2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: sp
Old March 22, 2009, 04:24 PM   #20
redlevel42

It sounds like some who are questioning the motives of the OP might be guilty of the exact same mindset you are accusing him of, just in reverse.

I don't shoot clays or skeet, but I do hunt quail. I try to do things in a fairly traditional manner. I use traditional side x side guns, no larger than 20 gauge, and use traditional Deep South bird dawgs. No Brits or Viszlas for me. They are fine dogs, but when I was growing up, bird dog in South Georgia meant 75% English Pointers (no GSPs) and 25% English Setters. I am a traditionalist.

If someone showed up at one of my hunts with a tricked out tactical shotgun, I would offer to let him/her use one of my doubles, or at least a straight-stocked 11-48 Upland Special semi-auto I bought for my daughter. If he/she insisted on the tricked out gun, I would be fine with it for that day.

I probably would not invite him/her back under those circumstances, because I would feel he/she was mocking me for being a traditionalist.

Frankly, it sounds like that is what several of you have in mind when you are bragging about outshooting someone with a $4000 shotgun with your tacticool bang-em-up 12 gauge ear-busters and throat-cutters. I guess you have bought into the mindset that we must hate anyone who has more money than we do, so let's ridicule them any way we can.
Old March 22, 2009, 05:11 PM   #21
inSight-NEO

Quote:
But at least take off the laser and the flashlight....
Actually, I can see some value in at least leaving the light mounted. It seems that, for me, this would help one to become accustomed to the weight/balance/swing of a weapon with such accessories. When I go to the shooting range, on occasion, I will leave my light attached for this very reason. I prefer to practice with the same setup I use for HD. This is why, for instance, I tend to never load more rounds in the mag tube than I would use for HD.

Personally, shooting skeet or whatever with a "tactically" minded weapon may not seem "proper" to the traditionalists, but I personally couldnt care less as to what the guy next to me thinks about my "tacticool" light. After all, he wouldnt be the one potentially defending the lives of myself or my family. Im not there to impress others with my weapon; Im there to learn for myself...period.

Quote:
his gun was a tacticool mall ninja special and so was the shooter....
The gun was not "mall ninja," but the owner sounds like he may have been...who knows.

To me, "mall ninja" = poser; this, to me, should have nothing to do with how a weapon is accessorized, but rather the motives and attitude of the one using such accessorized weapon.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; March 22, 2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old March 22, 2009, 07:45 PM   #22
JTMcC

+1 for the "go out and have fun, and let other people do the same" take.
+2 for the shoot it in the configuration it will be in if you REALLY need it, even if it doesn't "look right" to some folks.
My wife uses the same (590) shotgun for everything, killing snakes in the yard, strange noises at midnight, and just having fun. She could shoot a much more "refined" 20 ga side by side that I own, but she is very familiar and very good with her simple Mossberg.
Of course we shoot in the backyard so there is no danger of gun snobbery on our range

JTMcC.
Old March 23, 2009, 12:10 AM   #23
3-fitty-7

wow i never thought anyone cared what kind of gun another person was using as long as they used it safely. could be kind of distracting.
Old March 23, 2009, 02:15 AM   #24
OLNfan

I dont think you under stand the point its like brining a knife to a gun fight. Its like You and your buddy are goin grizzly hunting and your friend says OH my buddy wants to come hes a good guy. Your both packin 45-70 and your friends buddy is packin a bolt action 12 gage with buck shot. Theirs proper ettikit with firearms/ practical firearm knowledge. I meen I wouldnt of minded if the guy was shooting his ninja special as long as it had his bells and whilstles off it. I will take my h/d gun shooting clays in the bush with my buddys for ****s and giggles but if I were at the rod n gun club I would bring my ithica again that still isnt even the shotgun I should be bringing but its the closest shotgun I would have to suite the job. and If my friend happend to have a spare shotgun for the job I hope he would offer it to me such as redlevel42 has mentioned. When my friend and I go bear hunting the at the time the "highest" caliber he had was a british 303. I said here buddy take this so he took my .444 lever action marlin and 20 rounds of hornady ammuntion and I used my 45-70 lever action marlin. To this date he now has a 30 06. He packs that, switch between 45-70 and a 300 win mag.

Last edited by OLNfan; March 23, 2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old March 23, 2009, 02:24 AM   #25
OLNfan

sound good?