The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 20, 2009, 09:46 PM   #1
jmf8h

Colt MK IV Series 80 Prices

I have come across the following:

Colt Mk IV Series 80, .45 caliber
Gov't Model
5” Stainless
Model #: 01070
S#: SS331130

Perfect condition with the exception that it was fired at the range for one series. All matching papers, box etc... are there. It is being offered to me for $900.00, any data on the year and price?

Jim
Old March 21, 2009, 04:53 AM   #2
darkgael

$

I'm not sure about whether that is a good deal or not in today's gun buying frenzy. It seems high to me. As a point of reference, when I bought mine, a Gold Cup Nat'l Match model, it was $750. That was NIB and years ago. Perhaps it would sell for more nowadays.
Three years ago I bought a lightly used Springfield Loaded in stainless for $500.
Just offering the prices for comparison's sake. Hope it's a help.
Pete
Old March 21, 2009, 06:29 AM   #3
jmf8h

Re:

Thanks for the prices. It seems high to me as well after looking around a bit more. I can pick up a match grade Kimber match grade stainless in new condition for $500, this is to be a nightstand gun so to speak, not after a collectors edition in reality. I have also been thinking of just buying a new Rock Island as they are fairly inexpensive - any comments on them?

Thanks,
Jim
Old March 21, 2009, 08:14 AM   #4
CDH

The O1070 is actually an XSE number, but that's still too high for a used pistol. http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/XSE.asp

I bought all three of my Colts* brand spanking new from Bud's, and none of them was much over $800 or so at the time.
In today's buying frenzy, they may have crept up a bit, but $900 is still too much for a used one.

*Lightweight Commander O4860XSE
Stainless Commander O4091U
Stainless Government O1091
Old March 21, 2009, 09:04 AM   #5
JWT

Price seems high. It's almost twice what I paid for a similar used Colt, also in excellent condition, a couple years ago and I don't think prices have gone up quite that much.