The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 18, 2009, 08:50 AM   #1
x10

Taurus 1911 Parts Compatibility

a friend and I were at a shop a couple weekends ago and they and 2 Taurus 1911's one used one new, We bought them I got the used one with the 8 sights and buddy got the new one with horizontal 3 dot, My trigger is 3lb 10oz and his is a heavy almost 7 pounds, So far I've noticed that my trigger drags on several of my magazines while the magazines are proven in other guns, So I was looking for internal parts for both of the guns and wondered if anyone had experience putting aftermarket parts in the Taurus'. I was under the impression that the 1911 was built pretty much to other 1911 dimensions but would like to know if anyone has run into problems with sears and hammers and I would like to get some adjustible sights for my gun and wondered if anyone had some suggestions on adjustable sights that don't stick up a bunch but they don't have to be super low pro. I haven't measured the dovetails yet but will before I order, I usually order from midway or Brownells, Will take the guns into a local smith to have the slides trued and tightened and the rails trued up. So far I've put about 100 rounds through mine no problems except for the magazine dragging and same with my buddies, except his trigger doesn't drag
Old March 18, 2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Japle

This has been covered several times. See: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=435705

Post #4 tells my story.

Short version:
The hammer, sear and safety aren't made to standard 1911 specs. You can replace them all, but not just one or two. If you call Wilson, they'll tell you their parts won't work in a PT1911.

The trigger race inside the frame is cut deeper than normal. A standard trigger sits too far foward. Looks bad and has a ton of slop.
Old March 18, 2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Technosavant

I thought about doing a parts swap in my PT1911. I priced out a hammer, sear, and safety. As it turned out, by the time I did all that and paid the gunsmith, I wasn't all that far from the price of a different 1911 from a different maker. The Taurus shot well, but I just didn't trust it due to early issues, hence the internals swap.

I ended up trading the Taurus and some cash on a S&W 1911.
Old March 18, 2009, 10:14 PM   #4
RobertSB701

No Problems Here

My Taurus SS model had its series 80 safety removed & locking hammer tossed in the trash. A Cylinder & Slide Ultra Light hammer/sear set dropped in (yes...drop-in). The addition of a titanium sear spring left me with a smooth as butter trigger pull that checks in a hair over 2lbs. Yes its a range only gun.

Tags
1911 dimensions , drop in parts , new sights , taurus 1911