The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 17, 2009, 09:00 PM   #1
corsaseven

38 +P AMMO, ok to use in Taurus 38 SPECIAL ?

I appreciate all of the help from those of you on this forum. I have another question regarding ammo for my Taurus 38 Special ( manufactured approx in 1996). I have Winchester 38 plus P hollow point jacketed ammo, is this load too hot for this revolver. I was advised against using this ammo by a gun enthusiast but I would like more opinions from viewers of this forum. Thanks to every one that has input.
Mark
Old March 17, 2009, 09:08 PM   #2
05kas05

can you find a model number on the gun,let me know and we can go from there.or shoot a pic of the gun.
what does it say on the side of your revolver
Old March 17, 2009, 09:14 PM   #3
Nnobby45

Just about all +P .38 ammo was manufactured to be used in standard .38 revolvers in good condition. And in most cases, it's recommended that it be used sparingly.

There are exceptions. The Ruger SP101, for example can shoot +P's all day long. In fact, some converted theirs to .357 by enlarging the chambers before Ruger just started chambering it from the factory.

However, there can be exceptions to both guns and ammo:

Buffalo Bore +P 158 is very potent stuff. No .38 Special of mine will ever be seeing any. If you read their website, you can see they, essentially, developed it for .357's with short bbls/ejector rods with easier extraction in mind.

Their "standard" pressure 158 SWCHP is at least as hot as most +P's--when Winchester, Rem., etc. were making the FBI load.

For +P ammo, DPX is reasonably mild to shoot, and Speer's +P developed specifically for snubbies is a good load also and not too hot.
Old March 18, 2009, 03:17 AM   #4
denfoote

All recent M85s are +P rated.
Before "recent" if your S/N started with a "Q", then it was +P rated, if not, then no.

To find out the BOD of your Taurus, go HERE.

As an example, I have a first generation M85SSUL from 1997. Back then, it was called the M85UL. The S/N starts with a"Q". It is +P rated per the then open Taurus Custom Shop.
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old March 18, 2009, 08:40 AM   #5
ECHOONE

Your not suppose to use the 158GR SWCHP in the 85UL right? Isn't the lead in the bullet suppose to affect the pistol?
Old March 18, 2009, 10:08 AM   #6
Fer

I own a 851SS it is +P rated. I guess al modern revos including Taurus are +P rated. Check out the online catalog, there it will specify if it is +P tolerant or not.
By the way I do carry Winchester SJHP +P( what is the weight of this bullet????), and alternate will SWCHP +P's(158gr)

Regards,
Old March 18, 2009, 08:51 PM   #7
corsaseven

TAURUS 38 SPECIAL + P ammo ?

Hi Everyone who has helped me with my question regarding + P ammo. I believe I will refrain from using +P. I used the link you provided to get the model number of my revolver. It is Model# 85CHSS2, production year 1994.
Many Thanks, I find members of this forum very responsive and very helpful, much appreciated.
CORSASEVEN
Old March 20, 2009, 12:09 PM   #8
Fer

Ok then!! find some standard Preasure HP'S, I found some 158gr SJHP standard P from aguila, I carry those in the speedloader and the +P in the revolver, I find that the longer bullet of the 158gr makes it easier to load the cylinder from the speedloader, just my opinion.
Old March 20, 2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Dave85

Do it.

I have a Model 85 (85B2) of the same vintage (1994). When they started rating the 85 for +P, I called the factory and asked if mine could handle +P ammo as well. I was told in no uncertain terms that, YES, it could. There had, in fact, been no change in construction, materials or metallurgy, and they had simply added the rating because it could handle it, and +P was becoming more popular. Seems they felt (no doubt rightly) it would be helpful to sales. While I mostly shoot standard pressure loads for practice purposes, I have fired probably several hundred +P rounds through it (that is what I carry in it). It is still fine.